Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
perkristian

High quality original Doom sfx - updated 01-08-10

BIG BUMP

Have you had any luck contacting id or Bobby Prince about the resources they used to create the unique sounds? I really like this mod and I'm wondering if anything major has happened over the past four months.

I haven't actively searched for Doom sounds for a while, but I always keep it in my mind when looking for sound effects. Not found any new ones, sorry. Haven't contacted BP or id Software, but YMB contacted BP a while back, not sure if it lead somewhere.

I recall reading in an interview with BP that the Arch-vile's death sound was a recording a girl screaming "why" that was distorted.

Just thought I'd mention that.

Yes, I've read that too, but making a replica of this sound is probably very difficult. Using the hi-res original version and filtered/tweaked it to sound good would have been a better option I think.

I tried to do the Icon of Sin sound once, but didn't manage to get the right flanger/reverb.

He must have said it on the MP3.com page, where he was commenting about The Healer Stalks, which refers to the arch-vile. That's where he also said that the music was based on a "Latin song" (which we suspect is a song by Sade or something traditional the Sade song would be based on.)

It has already been said a number of times but it can't be said too often: Your work is simply amazing!

I love the remixed tunes so much, they simply sound superb!

Thank you very much Tormentor667, your kind words are highly appreciated :-)

Haven't gotten around to do Doom stuff lately, maybe I'll get some done during the holidays.

Just got around to listen some of the remixed song you did, its really amazing. I especially love how creepy e2m4 sounds. :)

perkristian said:

Thank you very much Tormentor667, your kind words are highly appreciated :-)

You know, I listened through all the tracks again today (downloaded all of them and put them into my music archive) and you're remixes are very special. There are a hundred tunes out there which are recreations of Bobby Prince's midis but mostly they never catch the feeling. I like them, but none of them really gave me the feel of classic Doom. It's different with yours. When listening through them I have the feeling as it was Bobby Prince who made them - just 16 years later :) Very great job, really!

damn!! Even on my shitty ass (and I do mean shitty) laptop speakers E1M7 sounds awesome! What a wonderful contribution to the doom community you've made. Keep up the great werk Perk! Looking forward to renditions of Victory (my fave doom track) and the rest of the doom 1 tracks.

Yes, the music is not made with only one piece of software. The main sequencer is Cakewalk but it doesn't make any sound on it's own, it just send MIDI signals to various synths and samplers. I am doing it the old-school way by using mostly hardware synths running thru a mixer. Most of the Doom tracks are mixed live and recorded in one shot. I only use the original Doom MIDI files, but usually modify them different ways - like avoid having repetive samples on acoustic sounds play over and over as it sound cheap and unreal.

Sound Forge is used for recording and mastering.

Some time ago I was messing around with the caco death noise and noticed how it sounded when sped up.

Well, you know the wheels on office chairs, how they rotate around and make a high pitched warble noise? I tried putting my chair on its side and rotating one of the wheels and recording it with my mp3 player's cheap mic, then slowing the wav on my pc, and it sounded surprisingly close(though the quality was terrible because it was basically 11khz halved).

Anyone else notice this?
Maybe perkristian can record something more interesting with his equipment?

You're absolutely correct Infurnus, a squeaky chair sound like the caco death when slowed down. The caco death is a very characteristic sound and finding the original source for the sound would be best, but again; it could be a sound BP recorded himself, maybe the office chair he used at id Software.

I'll keep a look out for squeaky sounds, always looked for turkey/chicken sounds for the caco death.

The hi-res sound pack is updated again, only two new sounds though, and a fix:

1. DSCYBSIT - Cyberdemon sight

This sound is made up of a camel grunt and some sort of voice - BP most likely. The camel sound was no problem but the voice of course is. For a long time I wanted to add this sound in the pack but wasn't sure on how to recreate it. Tried to mix the camel sound with other sounds to no avail, so I ended up doing it this way:
I took the original hi-res camel sound, adjusted the frequency and converted it to 11kHz to make it as identical as possible to the one used in Doom. Then inverted the sound waves and pasted it over the Doom sound, this canceled out the camel grunt in the Doom sound so I was left with the voice sample only. Then I mixed the hi-res version of the camel grunt with the voice and added a subtle tiger snarl to disguise the low-quality nature of the voice sample.

2. DSVILATK - Archvile attack

I had to improvise a little on this sound as I didn't find the start boom. Also, I added a sound for the "cast flame" animation sequence which is sort of missing in the original, but decided to remove it. The sound is a bit louder than the original - to make it more audible when gaming.

3. The barrel/rocket explosion

I've either not noticed it or just ignored it, but the explosion is mixed with the pistol sound at the beginning, so it's fixed now. This differentiate it more from the regular shotgun sound.

Added a couple of Doom tracks too:
Bunny
e3m2 - Donna to the Rescue

It sure is getting tougher and tougher to find Doom sounds...

Excellent. Glad you're still working on all of this stuff. Downloading now...

[edit] As ever, good quality stuff. I really like both of the new music tracks. Bunny is superb. :) [/edit]

Maybe not Perk, but it's like any great Doom MegaWAD, the journey is where the fun lies, not the ending. :)

Thanks again for the update, great work as always. Doom with this and the additional weapon sprites you made, feels like it's had the "refresh" it's needed for so long. Superb work, sir. :)

But please can we get 16Bit samples some time??

Thanks chischis!
Not quite sure about the 16bit sounds, we'll see :-)

On the other hand, I've been working a little on/off with a similar sound pack for Heretic, is that of any interest to anyone? This sound pack is far from as accurate as the Doom sound pack. I don't feel the Heretic sound effects needs to stay that true, although I have stumbled over a few of the original Heretic sounds while looking for Doom sounds.

Yeah I'm pretty sure the sabreclaw soundfx should have been easy to find (I hear them used on TV all the time)

I rarely play heretic though (mostly due to the limited choices in good wads to play with it) so I'm honestly not all that interested.

Just wanted to give my thanks for these as well. :)

Really exceptional work here, perkristian!

40oz said:

Yeah I'm pretty sure the sabreclaw soundfx should have been easy to find (I hear them used on TV all the time)

It was also the cry of the lich in TES1: Arena and that of the dragons in Warcraft 2. So it's a pretty standard scream.