Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
gggmork

doombuilder: how NOT make backup/dbs files

is there an easy way? they're just clutter for me, making 5 files (3 backups + a dbs) where one would suffice (I assume, don't know what the dbs is actually).

and I have my own method of backing up, if I choose to do so, in case of a crash etc (just make myName + myName222 + myName333 etc)

edit: cool, changed savebackup to 0

DB only makes one .backup for each time you overwrite a save.

First time you overwrite you get .backup1, then .backup2 then .backup3.

I kinda like having the backups. Saves me from my regular attacks of editing dumbness. (like when I grab a sector and move it, forgetting that there are other parts of that sector scattered all over a level, and they all get moved and I don't notice til later when everything is fubared.)

The .dbs stores info about the wad, like the level's format and the directory of an additional texture pwad, etc.

I like the frequent backups. You never know when you might need to undo a recent change - or restore from a crash, if your computer is crash prone.

I think it's kind of annoying how easily the number of backup files builds up, but they've come in handy a couple of times. When the number of backups in my folder gets too big, I move all of them into a "backups" folder.

gggmork said:

is there an easy way? they're just clutter for me, making 5 files (3 backups + a dbs) where one would suffice (I assume, don't know what the dbs is actually).

and I have my own method of backing up, if I choose to do so, in case of a crash etc (just make myName + myName222 + myName333 etc)

If you feel like living dangerously - open Builder.cfg, scroll down to "savebackup" and change it to 0.

I've over 500 mb of those f****** backups for my cathedral, is there any checkbox in regular parameters to remove them ?...

fraggle said:

Use a version control repository.

This is an excellent idea. My host offers SVN and if anyone needs access to a good remote SVN solution (people who don't feel like/know how to set up an SVN server and uses TortoiseSVN), I can set it up for anyone who is interested.

The only problem I've ever had with the files Doom Builder creates is the .dbs files. I've always been of the opinion that any editor-specific information should stay within the confines of the editor's folder, instead of making new files elsewhere. It's kind of like how Windows XP makes those annoying thumbs.db files in your directories unless you turn thumbnail caching off.