Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Joshy

Speed of Doom - Megawad Project *FIXED RELEASED*

Epic MegaWAD, this should get a Cacoward.

Some of the places that "break" in coop if someone enters them then dies (unless I missed how to reopen them):
-the bars that open at the beginning of map09 from the second switch you have to push. you could fix it by making the switch SR instead of S1.
-the pit with the red key in map33

Also, a personal pet peeve, but I hope you use a different filename for the WAD with every release to avoid confusion. :P

Thanks Spleen, will fix them when I can. :-) Looks like there shouldn't be any necessary major changes at all! A few linedefs action needs changing, how convenient.(And the release date should be sufficient to determine the version of the WAD :P)

Will also check out the demos soon :D.

Oh, @Armouredblood: For what it's worth, if you're interested in seeing how you could get pass the first part of Map05 without being crapped on much, check out the second demo that's already within the megawad (the demo after Map25 when waiting on prboom menu). The last parts were shoddy (deliberately, I should add :P) but on the way it should hopefully give you some ideas.

And I almost forgot, Map06 shortcut is indeed intentional.

Joshy, I got a msg from Damned, that the redkey door in map03 should open Repeatable, or you cen get stuck there...

I do have one question on how to get to the secret level in map15: Is there a clue at least in how to get to that red skull key?

Been playing this over the past couple of days. Just finished off map 20 here a little while ago. Some pretty nice levels here. 14 and 20 are a couple of my favorites thus far.

Also might I add the music on map 14 is really really good. Guilty Gear music FTW.

Got a batch of FDAs here for maps 6-10 and 14-20. Nothing for the first 5 maps because I didn't get into the FDA recording mood just then and nothing for 11-13 because they were far too embarrassing/dumb/silly and I kinda forgot to keep them.

That doesn't mean there's a FDA for the lulzs book. Map 19's the one to watch for laughs as I fail to speedrun the map after a few rage worthy deaths, then end up taking my time and manage to clear on the last attempt.

Map 20 is probably the best FDA I did. The ending...I think you will all be thinking what I was thinking when the dust settled there.

http://www.mediafire.com/?zfmqehjtzdy

This megawad was pretty good. I liked the dark feel to each map and every map was very realistic. The original music was good.

Twilight Massacre, now that was one crazy map and the Heretic E1M8 music reminded me of the great fear that lied ahead. Try beating it with berserk (or Tyson), hehe.

I really loved the music in MAP25. It was kinda unique from the rest of the songs. Nice production with the delays in that song.

gun_psycho said:

I do have one question on how to get to the secret level in map15: Is there a clue at least in how to get to that red skull key?

Well I don't want to spoil it just yet so hopefully hints should be enough: See the protruding rock ledge in the mastermind courtyard with a blue potion on top of it? Seems kinda arbitrary/random. There's a certain monster behind the blue key door accessed via courtyard way, not the mancubus platform door. Hope that's enough. ;-)

Just watched the demos with 1000 gamespeed; quite amusing! :o) Thanks for those.

@Pcorf: Map25's music is certainly one of my favourites as well. I always end up waiting several minutes before playing ahead so I could have a listen (before the monster noises starts interfering).

@Gusta: Thanks for letting me know. I think I forgot to remove the linedef action on other side of the door :/.

@Nostar: Cool :-) Do keep an eye out for the updated version that'll fix some bugs that can ruin co-op play.

Map26 bug: after 3 hours I got my 1st exit... or not. I ran over the exit line without triggering it and got stuck. Luckily I wasn't recording. Checked it then with -nomonsters: chance is about 50%. Please fix this.

Ive played up to map15 and its a really good mapset so far, i like the unique atmosfear. I dont like the huge amount of pain elementals cause i just dont like pain elementals :P. Good music so far too but the music on map 14 is far too loud in comparison to the music on the other maps.

I've recently started playing SoD (map13 now) and it's very good! I really like the ongoing themes that slightly keep changing into more hellish levels. I thought the difficulty was good so far, but I've seen a bit from the later levels with 2000+ enemies. I'm excited to get there :)

Something I didn't like in general are quite a few level starts that have demons all around you and you have no time before some demons are chewing your nose off.

But that's nit-picking. The overall gameplay is very enjoyable and all levels have a unique style! Nice work :)

Great job you guys. I'm not a huge fan of slaughter maps or super difficult wads, but I have really enjoyed what I've played so far.

Up to Map12 so far.
This is pure gold, absolutely brilliant! This wad features a bunch of traps and encounters I haven't seen before. Map11's start was rough, and Map10's ending was very clever. Map07 has to be one of the hardest Map07 encounters I've had in my life.

I'll post more feedback when I'm done, or up to at least Map20.
Thanks for making this great wad! Pure Cacoward material.

- Moti

I took a quick glance at the forum this Friday evening and fortunately my eyes were captivated by the word "Megawad" a full 32 release in 2010? Certainly a sign post no one should bypass. Growing with anticipation at the presumed devious difficulty, I was impressed even more with the professional organization of the information text. The template appears to be akin to AV's, with even a section indicating the source for the soundtrack which several authors appear to neglect from past experience. Without hesistation despite not having experienced it yet, it became clear this was truly going to be one worthy of the title of 'Classic'.

Upon first sight I couldn't help but note the eccentric font, bold and defiant, as if SOD was proud of it's esteemed quality. It brought the word 'Medieval' to mind, which cleverly suited the opening sight of MAP01. I truly admire the strategic placement of enemies, Zombies sniping from afar and the Chaingun Commandoes which can only be slaughtered if you place yourself directly in their line of fire, outstanding. Successfully implementing this critical factor opens the doorway to intuitive design and daunting situations without resorting to masses of enemies, I've always liked it as it shows creativity and effort on the mapper's behalf.

Well what can I say after sampling 01-04? Were you inspired at all by Death-Destiny's mapping style? As I absolutely love the hollow, deserted sight of freshly seen areas, allowing the player to admire the powerfully gripping realism of the simple yet aethestic combination of caverns with a touch of toxic green. Very akin to AV's MAP10 - Toxic Touch I must say, and it's rare for me to feel a true sense of realism when observing the interior designs of a map. The last WAD to successfully display this ability, despite essentially being one huge room was Sunder. The sight of MAP09 and 10 were phenomenally gripping upon first sight and SOD's MAP02 in particular felt very special indeed with regards to both the architecture and the gameplay.

Reinforcing my mention of Death-Destiny I absoutely love the style of gameplay displayed. Empty areas which reveal traps without warning, that have a recurring tendancy to surround the player and block the path behind, forcing you to think instictively without planning. It's chaotic and oh so original, Death-Destiny is one of my favourite mappers due to this intuitive style, his maps are remarkably addicting and continually elevate in difficulty while sticking to a simple yet original texture scheme in my opinion. It's fantastic to see a similar style reflected in the works of other authors, even if DD was not part of your inspiration.

Bubbling with excitement for the later episodes as slaughter maps are amongst my favourite and ironically I tend to deal with hordes of enemies better than standard map design with claustrophobic areas and strategic enemy placement. Essential to note that I found AV and KS relatively easy for the most part (and this is coming from memory of playing each map the first time around) with the exception of KS - 26 and 31 which were grueling barstards as I always play each and every level without utilizing savestates for the most part unless it's eye poppingly hard as it creates a true feeling of tension and excitement, along with adding to the satisfaction of victory.

Here's hoping some of the later maps are monstrously intense and on that note I surprisingly loved 'Holy Hell' despite the primitive placement of enemies, the ludicrious monster count was fantastic but it could have been elevated if the enemy placement did not result in boredom due to a lack of creativity.

Found one bug on MAP04 the poisonous cavern leading to the Soulsphere secret can actually damage the player at random intervals, I've heard of this bug where damage sector floors can still harm the player despite wearing a Radiation Suit. Although it's probably due to the rarity of it's occurence due to being a natural part of the engine's behaviour perhaps. Played with GLBoom-Plus btw.

Congratulations on the phenomenal looking work so far! :D

Note to self: add all of your maps together to make a 32 map megawad - make your text file organized and similar to AV - credit the authors of music you use - use a neat font ingame

These steps will make people notice and like your wad even before they play it!

TimeOfDeath said:

Note to self: add all of your maps together to make a 32 map megawad - make your text file organized and similar to AV - credit the authors of music you use - use a neat font ingame

Don't forget the screenshots! :P

Bloodite Krypto said:

Found one bug on MAP04 the poisonous cavern leading to the Soulsphere secret can actually damage the player at random intervals, I've heard of this bug where damage sector floors can still harm the player despite wearing a Radiation Suit. Although it's probably due to the rarity of it's occurence due to being a natural part of the engine's behaviour perhaps. Played with GLBoom-Plus btw.

Oh, and that's not a bug. :P You can get hurt on 20%-damaging floors once in a while, despite having a radiation suit. It's an intentional feature of the Doom engine on the part of id (as to whether it's intentional on the part of the authors of this WAD, not sure).

TimeOfDeath said:

For greater chances of success, try making good maps and then doing that

The maps are fun as hell, and the level designs are pretty great as well... my only problem is that the music doesn't really fit into the atmosphere of the levels. Still awesome and worth the download though!

Congratulations, Joshy and Darkwave0000 !
This wad is epic, a new Alien Vendetta so to speak.

Maps by both authors are of professional quality. I second Bloodlite Krypto here, Darkwave's style is similar to Death-Destiny's, and it's not a bad thing at all... :)

Again, good job to you guys !
Such an incredible amount of good work in a short amount of time.
Didn't notice any serious bug, apart from a few minor texture misalignments. The new font is a bit hard to read sometimes, too, but that's me nitpicking.

esselfortium said:

For greater chances of success, try making good maps and then doing that

I didn't mean any disrespect to SOD, I was just poking fun at Bloodite's first two paragraphs which I thought were pretty funny. If you were implying something about my maps, then eff you.

I didn't mean any disrespect to SOD, I was just poking fun at Bloodite's first two paragraphs which I thought were pretty funny.

Ah, come on. I like his prose. It's like Homer meets Doom.

... Not the Simpson one. :)

Like others, I also got a strong Death-Destiny vibe from Darkwave's maps (which is definitely a good thing).

The buttons in the three-floor elevator on MAP02 need some work. They look quite ghetto (too lazy to elaborate or post screencap right now).

Also, the starting area on MAP04 is just sad. If you're gonna stick us in a teeny little elevator shaft, at least get the texture alignment right.

But so far, what I've played is absolutely great. I love the continuity between levels, too.

I'll test this megawad out really quickly with scoredoom and the addon pack to see how much more challenging the levels will be with the replaced enemies. (Then again, the bfg's alt-fire works wonders there.)

Edit: the add-on pack and the no infighting mode would practically make map30 nigh-impossible... if there weren't any powerups that spawn with those enemies.

Wow, totally forgot about this one. Looking foreward to check it out! One thing I know I don`t like is the name of the wad, but thats absolutely not a big issue :P

I'm having a great time with this one. Awesome wad.

Only a few main comments about the wad: The levels are solid in play and visual appeal, theme's are solid and the music is great and very fitting. The font is annoying to read so I use the Boom hud. Jack-In-The-Box enemies are getting tiresome nearly half way through. It is my fault for picking skill 3 because this thing is kicking me when I'm down but feels almost fair about it which I like and finally, if you didn't hear me the first time... AWESOME WAD!!!

Thanks Joshy, Darkwave and the rest.

TimeOfDeath said:

I didn't mean any disrespect to SOD, I was just poking fun at Bloodite's first two paragraphs which I thought were pretty funny. If you were implying something about my maps, then eff you.

Lolz, nah, I was just replying to your post :P