Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Joshy

Speed of Doom - Megawad Project *FIXED RELEASED*

Goodies it is, thanks Mechadon. :P

Don't want to be keeping people in the dark so I'll just outline what's happening for now. Project is still being tested extensively by several people and will take a little while longer. I'm also doing university now and it's not very doom-friendly with so many tiring shitloads of reading :/. But anyway, I've worked out compromises; weekends should be enough to fix all the crappy loose ends. I will be making the release date on the 28th of March (which incidentally is my birthday; my gift to you all :P) I think that's all for now..

Joshy said:

Goodies it is, thanks Mechadon. :P

Don't want to be keeping people in the dark so I'll just outline what's happening for now. Project is still being tested extensively by several people and will take a little while longer. I'm also doing university now and it's not very doom-friendly with so many tiring shitloads of reading :/. But anyway, I've worked out compromises; weekends should be enough to fix all the crappy loose ends. I will be making the release date on the 28th of March (which incidentally is my birthday; my gift to you all :P) I think that's all for now..

O.o .... that's my birthday too. Crazy. Looking forward to playing this :)

Screenies look awesome Joshy :)
The last two remind me of HRII somehow.

Can't wait for the upcoming release !

When this comes out, I'll definitely see how much harder this one is compared to all those ultra-hard megawads.

Edit: If not this week, I'm pretty sure it'll come out sometime during spring break.

This can't be finished soon enough :)

Be good to play some hard maps which aren't mine, Phml, Armoured Blood's or gggmork's!

I wish you and everyone else involved in the project luck on a bug-free release :)

Joining the birthday wagon with mine being on the 20th of this month (:
Can't wait to play this one! Anticipated for this.

One last question concerning this megawad: Will the last episode (map21-map30) and the two secret maps be among the hardest it has to offer? This is coming from a person who has beat the first Hell Revealed... many times over.

gun_psycho said:

One last question concerning this megawad: Will the last episode (map21-map30) and the two secret maps be among the hardest it has to offer? This is coming from a person who has beat the first Hell Revealed... many times over.

Well, according to the testers, it is consistently hard (the progression of difficulty is low) so the middle episode has some hard ones on offer as well. Naturally the last of the maps are the hardest. As for the secret maps, I'll let you see it for yourself :P

Armouredblood, you wouldn't happen to be turning 19 too? That'd be freaky.

Gggmork, yeah it's fine; testing's pretty much done now and now awaiting from darkwave0000 to send in the updated maps. Will do a public release then and hopefully there aren't any stupid bugs before I upload to the archives on said release date.

Joshy said:

Armouredblood, you wouldn't happen to be turning 19 too? That'd be freaky.

Hahah, no I'm turning 21. Yay alcohol ... except I've not tasted anything alcoholic besides the random bit of wine my mom bugs me to taste. Beer's kinda expensive vs. soda anyway =/ I'm sure that'll change in time though ...

On topic, I'm happy it sounds like it's getting close to done, might be it WILL be released on our birthday ;P

Ralphis said:

Will this wad be coop compatible?

I'm hoping it is. We've kept co-op gameplay in mind while in the process of making the megawad. We've made sure that certain situations would be safe for co-op. For example, doors closing behind the player can be re-opened by another player behind said door. I'm hoping that once the first public release's out, there'll be some people playing it with co-op and will address any bugs that would threaten co-op play but the chances of that is very very low I believe.

And geewhiz, the price of beer shouldn't be that bad. Here in Australia, it isn't much different between beer and soda with the costs (That's in terms of 'value', not the volume) and the legal age's 18 here too. :P

Heh, well I guess I don't know beer prices, although I hear things like drinks being 3-4$ at clubs from friends, although I get the impression that they overcharge quite a bit. Really though I don't know the prices, although anything over 1-2$ a bottle for store bought should be worth it, considering a case of soda, about 8-10 cans, costs about 3$ now. Basically I wouldn't justify spending more money than I'd have to since I'm an income-less college student living with my family. Not exactly badly off, just a middle class family living in a town of upper-middle class to rich folks.

Enough practical excuses, I just haven't gotten hooked on beer (yet, possibly) ;p

ArmouredBlood said:

Heh, well I guess I don't know beer prices, although I hear things like drinks being 3-4$ at clubs from friends, although I get the impression that they overcharge quite a bit. Really though I don't know the prices, although anything over 1-2$ a bottle for store bought should be worth it, considering a case of soda, about 8-10 cans, costs about 3$ now. Basically I wouldn't justify spending more money than I'd have to since I'm an income-less college student living with my family. Not exactly badly off, just a middle class family living in a town of upper-middle class to rich folks.

Enough practical excuses, I just haven't gotten hooked on beer (yet, possibly) ;p

Woah, that's pretty cheap (that is if I worked out the exchange rate correctly considering that US 80-90c = $1AU) A case of soda is like $10+ generally and beer is usually $4-5. Clubs definitely overcharge. Heck, a bottle (330ml) of premixed drink (usually $5) can cost something like $13 dollars (it varies though). Damned economy! :P Whoops, my bad for derailing my own thread, heh. :P

Hahah, I might be considering prices from a year or two ago actually, soda might be as much as 5$ a case now(at least coke, shasta is usually a bit less), I couldn't say it accurately since I don't do the shopping.

Well geewhiz, it's finally done. After roughly one years, it's ready for its first public release. :-) Comments/feedback very welcomed. Please do notify us if there is a dangerous gameplay threatening bug and it'll be fixed (not that I'm implying we didn't test it well; we've thoroughly tested it but we can't always grab them all)

Download: http://www.mediafire.com/file/4yzemtdyymw/SOD.zip

Will be uploading to Idgames Archive once it's ensured there are no dangerous bugs lurking around (hopefully co-op works just fine as it was briefly tested). As for the demo-recorders, most of the maps should be safe to record on but I can't guarantee that there won't be changes (in terms of bug-killing changes that is).

Anyway.. I can say, it was quite a journey creating this wad. I had a lot of high and extreme lows during the development in 2009 so there are many many memories (good and bad) attached to it so it is quite special to me.

Big thanks to the doom communities (Doomworld, and Newdoom/Abyss) for incomparable support and helping us improve our skills over time. It's about time we've given something back! :P

We hope you guys'll enjoy playing this megawad.(/soppytalk)

I can safely warn that this isn't really an easy WAD to play. I would recommend Skill2/3 for most, but skill 4 sure is exhilarating! :o) Prboom+ or similar ports highly recommended. It will crash (on particular maps) with ports that has limitations (Boom and WinMBF for instance) and will cause lags on particular ports (sorry for the inconvenience)

I'm not sure what else to say... I'm pretty tired now so I'll head off to sleep now. Happy dooming everyone.

Awesome !
But I'm having a problem here. Here's my WinZip log when trying to unzip SOD.wad :

--
Extracting to "D:\Program Files\ZDoom\"
Use Path: yes Overlay Files: no
Extracting SOD.wad
bad CRC cd9beb47 (should be 15464348)
Warning: the size of the extracted file (28568646) does not match the uncompressed size (28568638) recorded in the zip file
--

And so it seems SOD.wad is corrupted.
No problem for both text files though.

I got excited when I saw the title change but sadly the wad file is corrupted :(

It downloaded OK for me, but it's crashing G/ZDoom and I don't feel like downloading anything else boom compatible right now :C

Nomad said:

It downloaded OK for me, but it's crashing G/ZDoom and I don't feel like downloading anything else boom compatible right now :C

Could someone who downloaded a valid file upload it on a better mirror ? DRDfiles for example ?

I assume Joshy wouldn't mind, as the text file authorizes redistribution.