Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Joshy

Speed of Doom - Megawad Project *FIXED RELEASED*

So I have fdas of 1-22, 29, 30, and 32 (last 2 cause I wanted to do fdas before watching gggmork and okuplok's demos), and I'm on map8 on watching them to add comments/#deaths etc., and I've found that I absolutely sucked in the earlier maps after 3, but could get farther in the later maps for some reason (possibly explained by less hitscanners ;). Anyway I just wanted to say I have a lot of lame fdas on the way that you should look at in 300% speed ;P

Oh yeah, I also have more success tysoning arch-viles without getting a hit vs. consistently getting hit by an imp whenever I try to tyson him (looking at start of map ... 21 I think -.-).

So I tried attaching my zip of demos for maps 1-22, 29, 30, and 32, but doomworld thought the zip was too big (said it was limited to 204,000 bytes. My zip is 500kb -.-). I'm too lazy to individually zip each lmp then zip em all ... Anyway here's a speedyshare link, and I'll see about getting a mediafire one for people in dew's country.

EDIT:here you go.

Haven't got too far yet, but so far the maps have been nice but they feel a bit unfinished. In some parts there's plenty of detail to get stuck on, plenty of windows could use impassable lines to prevent player from climbing up to them (map01 has pretty dire climbable windows in it) and, for example, the first stairs in map03 are pretty bad in prboom+ at least (I know ZDoom and the like don't have the same bouncing problem with such stairs, but other ports can get pretty nasty).

Also considering that, at least so far, the maps have been less spacious the getting stuck on detail and stuff is worse. In short, needs more impassable lines and less bouncy floor detail.

edit:
sod align

Jodwin said:

(map01 has pretty dire climbable windows in it) and, for example, the first stairs in map03 are pretty bad in prboom+ at least

i'm probably biased at this point, but i had to look for the climbable windows for like 2 minutes in map01 and i don't see how it flaws the map or requires impassible lines. is it the inconsistency with the impassibles on the outside? i don't understand why it'd be a problem otherwise.
i'm also not seeing the issue with the map03 staircase... bumpy floor only annoys me in single player when it's really bad or it hinders my movement. i'd say i have more trouble with the map16 ammo stands than this, and that's just my problem. :)

I noticed the issue with the stairs on map03, as well. Could eliminate the problem while maintaining the current appearance as it is, either using transfer heights (making the actual stairs flat, but using a transfer that makes them render as though the inner sector is deeper) or self-referencing sectors (leaving the stairs' heights alone and having a self-referencing line or two inside the inner sector, that references the outer one).

dew said:

i'm probably biased at this point, but i had to look for the climbable windows for like 2 minutes in map01 and i don't see how it flaws the map or requires impassible lines. is it the inconsistency with the impassibles on the outside? i don't understand why it'd be a problem otherwise.
i'm also not seeing the issue with the map03 staircase... bumpy floor only annoys me in single player when it's really bad or it hinders my movement. i'd say i have more trouble with the map16 ammo stands than this, and that's just my problem. :)

Being able to do this is in no means normal, and definitely shouldn't be possible: sod windows

Jodwin said:

Being able to do this is in no means normal, and definitely shouldn't be possible: sod windows

i see nothing wrong with that, but my standards aren't very high concerning visuals and... mapping manners. i'll rather mind things i do understand. :)

It's not a question of visuals, but just of it being a bit annoying/silly to be able to accidentally walk up inside a window or computer terminal or whatever, particularly since there's no actual reason to go up there and you can get stuck on the corners, etc.

Not game-breaking, but just a minor irk :p

esselfortium said:

Not game-breaking, but just a minor irk :p

Yeah, objectively speaking it's just a minor irk, but it annoys me more so in projects that are high quality megawads/map sets, than in single beginner maps. Different expectations for quality and all that.

But to say something positive about SoD, Dreamscape was great (except for the two cybers, which were a bit boring).

Jodwin said:

Yeah, objectively speaking it's just a minor irk, but it annoys me more so in projects that are high quality megawads/map sets, than in single beginner maps. Different expectations for quality and all that.

But to say something positive about SoD, Dreamscape was great (except for the two cybers, which were a bit boring).

Its not great, its awesome! Especially the architechture and secrets were brilliant.

Anima Zero said:
Another FDA batch from me covering maps 21-30.

Cool, these are really nice to watch because of your ability to mostly survive through all or much of the levels even while playing rather daringly.

dew said:
i see nothing wrong with that,

Me neither. In fact, such designs may end up being useful in unexpected ways. To look into areas or as part of a trick to get somewhere. In this case, you get better visuals of the outside area. I wouldn't complain such a window unless it breaks something or lets players view something they shouldn't, and would probably be a bit annoyed if I notice the mapper blocked off harmless stuff like that, since I would be able to tell, visually, that the height should be enough for me to climb on. As you may have seen, in CTF it's pretty common for people to perch in unusual places to spam incoming attackers or get a better view (and this obviously becomes more common when jumping is expected.)

Totally missed this thread, very sorry.

Played the first 4 maps just now and thought it was okay so far. The main battles in maps seem to pingpong in difficulty between 1) presenting heaps of monsters and the ability to take almost no damage then 2) just cramming you in a small space where you either need to be lucky to have chosen the right weapon in advance or sprint away and come at the battle again once the monsters are herded into one direction.

I agree with Jodwin that there should be blocking lines on alot more windows. For example on MAP04 you're able to shoot the closet Arachnotrons back up into the inset UAC signs behind them which looks a bit silly.

I spotted a few other things: There is a plasma gun secret on MAP03 whose door is not pegged properly. After you open the yellow bars on MAP04 there are some pit Chaingunners which are not down far enough, as a result their head pokes out above the green ooze which looks odd and totally removes their hazard as you can kill them before they rise.

On a lighter note, I really like alot of the detail you've put into the maps. It's fairly precise and consistent. I love the color scheme too, as others have mentioned. The few maps I've played have varied well in themes and pace, the music you've had made and chosen really helps with this. MAP02 reminded me alot of Jungle from Goldeneye which is awesome. The secrets I found were really enjoyable, well hidden though still findable, there's definitely a sense of achievement locating them.

No offense intended but aren't you guys relatively new mappers? If so this is a pretty impressive effort. A little more polish and it could go from good to great.

I'm definitely looking forward to playing the rest!

I could not beat map02 as I couldn't figure out where to go. There was a switch by what appeared to be a lift next to the UAC sign but it did nothing. I could not find any other routes to get to the upper area and look for the blue key.

Demo: http://sites.google.com/site/ghostlydeath/GhostlyDeath_SOD_Run1a.lmp?attredirects=0&d=1

So far it plays OK, fairly easy however.

EDIT: Being a sore loser and a cheater, I TASed the first level and got 36 seconds with tons of mistakes.

http://sites.google.com/site/ghostlydeath/GhostlyDeath_SOD_01_TASd.lmp?attredirects=0&d=1

If only I really played like that heh...

EDIT: I redid my run and got 35 seconds, I made barely any mistakes so I say the treshold of runs would be 33 seconds based on my runs.

http://sites.google.com/site/ghostlydeath/GhostlyDeath_SOD_01_TASj.lmp?attredirects=0&d=1

EDIT: If nothing gets in the way, maybe 25 seconds.

EDIT: I did a noo monsters TAS run and got 24 seconds

http://sites.google.com/site/ghostlydeath/GhostlyDeath_SOD_01_TAS-nomob.lmp?attredirects=0&d=1

The next few maps have been very frustrating, I didn't really enjoy 5, 6 and 7 at all. Why does some slime hurt you and some doesn't? Several battles definitely required prior knowledge to survive. All the Cyberdemons were lacking in challenge, like there was just a boss for the sake of having one. I suck at fighting them and even I didn't die.

The start of MAP07 with the chaingunners and Hell Knights in the cages was good, I also liked the Manc fight. I dropped down to skill 3 for MAP08 and enjoyed it alot except for the repetitious Mastermind fight. MAP09 was brilliant, my favorite yet. It's so compact yet the windows make hazards appear from different angles every time you play.

Thing placement bothers me in some places. For example the Berserk in MAP09, I tend to avoid picking them up until I need them but it's right in the middle of the main passageway which slows down the flow. Swapping it with the Backpack would be better, you're always going to grab a Backpack. There are a few switches where you NEED to pickup a medkit to flick them which is annoying when you have 98% health and there's a tough battle coming up. There was another secret in here somewhere with an unpegged door texture though I can't recall where :/

I was almost going to ragequit after MAP07 but I'm glad I didn't.

a berserk in the very beginning of the level and a bunch of demons and lost souls coming at you... it's not hard to guess it isn't there for health recharging. :P

True, though not everyone pistol starts every map. Ideally, provision should be made for pistol starters and continuing players.

Played through some of the maps, and iddqd`d through the rest last night. VERY impressive! Although, most is not my preferred style at all.

I`ll come back to it later, no doubt.

dew said:

map01 pacifist in 0:34, you can surely do better with weapons :)
http://www.doomworld.com/vb/showthread.php?s=&postid=862510#post862510

btw, your 0:35 run desyncs to me in prboom+

Recorded with -complevel 2 on PrBoom 2.4.7

EDIT: I realized that I accidently walked in the beginning of my demo. I blame PrBoom for ignoring my key presses.

The WAD is for Boom, so using compatibility level 2 will likely break some of the level's functionality. Also, older versions of PrBoom or PrBoom+ have some bugs that may affect demos, so it's better to use the latest PrBoom+, or at least note the version so people can apply the -emulate command.

Sorry for the late response, I've not much time lately and thanks for the comments and enjoyable demos. I've done some updatings. I've taken most comments into consideration; so far, Map1,3,4,5,7,8,9,12,25,26,29,31,33 has at least very very very minor changes. I've tested the updated maps with the uploaded demos (in the demo thread), and they work just fine, no desyncing, no need to panic ;-). (With the exception of Map29 though, heh)

I've added the impassible lines in Map01 for the sake of consistency, the outer windows have impassible lines as well and Map07 windows are blocked too. IMO, those kind of situations with the window blocking-linedefs should only occur if the players has few space to move around in like 1024 maps for instance, but never mind about that, not going to write an essay. :P
Bumpy stairfloors fixed in Map3 and works better now. Changes for co-op gameplay has been made. If there has been any complaints of extreme low health or ammo for co-op, please notify me ASAP before this sunday.

No offense intended but aren't you guys relatively new mappers?

None taken at all mate. Darkwave is certainly a relatively new mapper. AFAIK, he started around late 2008 when he was uploading his first maps on Newdoom forums (Map02 was his first boom map actually). From there on, he's just not stopped improving at all; absolute natural, although he hasn't released anything officially yet (with the exception of this heh), which is a pity.

As for me, I've released a few: NDCP2's map13,27 and 32. IHIC.wad, 1024 claustrophobia's Map13 and 28. gzthgs.wad was a extreme half-arsed effort for a school project that got me the top marks in a computer class.[/blatant advertising]

As for the designs of the earlier maps, we're very content with them and can't really see any possible improvements. Details shouldn't be obtruding much at all but that's just how I play.

Thing placement bothers me in some places

I understand what you mean but I'll say that the beauty of item placements is that how it is placed can make such a difference. You could say that it is a reward if you manage to clear out the beginning scum, or you could quench your thirst for fisting; whichever floats your boat. But yeah, can't really please everyone but glad to hear some maps have some appeal for you at least.

I don't know if this has been fixed/mentioned yet, but I've skimmed the thread looking for this and I haven't seen anything. I managed to completely break Map02 by pressing the down switch on the elevator too many times. It caused sectors all over the map to lower to weird heights and it turned the place into HOM land.

I haven't been able to replicate this again, otherwise I'd post a screenshot or two. Not sure what caused it. Feel free to debase me if this has already been mentioned.

hah... were you on the correct (boom) complevel? the only way i managed to break the lift was to get a demon stuck on a higher floor. he was frozen on the edge when i called the lift from the ground floor, then it got stuck on the demon's head and i got stuck without the blue key. :)

Maybe not. I just fired up the WAD with prboom and went a-playin'. This has only happened to me once, though, and I can't get it to happen again.