Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
HackNeyed

Chocolate Doom *Bugs*

I didn't want to just throw this in the PL2 topic since I think it is more relevant to Chocolate Doom and wanted to make sure Fraggle knows about it.

When I loaded up Plutonia 2 and let the DEMOs run in Chocolate Doom 1.2.1 (and 1.2.0) it crashed in the 1st demo when entering the 2nd room. Playing the same level (23) crashes as well. Chocolate Doom 1.1.1 plays the demo and level properly.

I'm running XP Pro 32bit on my laptop with an AMD Athlon X2 CPU and integrated ATI.

If you run from the command line with the "-nommap" parameter, it should improve things, although I've heard that there are still some problems with that level.

fraggle said:

If you run from the command line with the "-nommap" parameter, it should improve things, although I've heard that there are still some problems with that level.

Out of curiosity, why is memory mapped wad i/o enabled by default? Isn't it only useful on systems with extremely limited memory?

exp(x) said:

Out of curiosity, why is memory mapped wad i/o enabled by default? Isn't it only useful on systems with extremely limited memory?

Well, firstly, it isn't any more; there have been too many problems with it, so I've disabled it.

Memory-mapped I/O does have various advantages. If you have multiple programs running in parallel, they can share a single copy of the WAD in physical memory, for example. I didn't anticipate it causing significant problems, and didn't see any reason not to enable it by default. Guess I should have known better :-)

After some testing I think I've now managed to pinpoint the revision that introduced the problem. r1394 was the last version that didn't suffer from it, revisions 1394 to 1406 were all Raven branch changes and revisions 1407 and up all suffer from the bug, so the problem must've been introduced along with r1407.

Another bug in 1.2.1, this time with sound, apologies if this is a known one. I have the sound set down real low , like the 2nd notch, but every so often the first zillisecond of gunfire or an explosion will blast out full volume before continuing at the correct setting. It's almost like the call goes out to play the sound in one frame and the volume of it is limited in the next and if there's a delay due to my very slow laptop it'll play loudly in that duration.