Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Nightmare Doom

Angry Nintendo Nerd [Again]

Instead of going through the trouble creating a new thread I decided to bump this thread to discuss Angry Video Game Nerd's (as he is called now) newer/recent reviews.

http://www.cinemassacre.com/new/?page_id=13

Personally I think AVGN has gotten down hill recently because his newer reviews especially eversince Superman 64 tend to be completely unwatchable mostly because instead of doing a proper review like his older videos, he now just ragefully yells & screams over-the-top of his lungs at the screen like a child which is just unbearable to hear added with his high pitched New Jersey accent he has (and I dare you to watch the ending of the Dick Tracy review because it's not for the faint of heart especially for abuse victims and those who have angrophobia...you have been warned) as one of the major reasons he sucks now.

As for the ones he did in 2007 I would like to say they were pretty boring and stale but nothing compared how 10x worse he has become eversince the Superman reviews in late 2008...

Boldly going where no nerd has gone before...

...And hopefully staying there and not coming back.

[edit] I almost feel for the guy. Almost. Maybe someone should buy him a punching bag to take out his frustrations on.

I prefer the Happy Video Game Nerd (or something like that, on Youtube). He reviews a lot of obscure classics-- like Metal Storm for NES, nobody remembers that.

Worst reviews ever. Yahtzee got the "pissed off geek" thing down way better.

Hmmm. Don't know what you're talking about. The CD-I reviews have probably been the climax the of the AVGN's career. Also, meanwhile, James Rolfe has done a great job with the Bat-a-thon, Ed Wood-a-thon, and his Cinemassacre 200 mini-documentry. He's probably one of the most clever Internet celebrities in existance, and (I don't want to sound like a fourteen-year-old hipster here, but) it's a shame that a lot of people don't "get" him (or, perhaps, don't care to).

I'm still an AVGN fan but his post-Gametrailers reviews definitely lack something that the older ones had, and that was a certain degree of frankness or honesty that the older reviews at least kept an appearance of even though he's mostly acting.

In other words, he's become a worse actor even as his film-making skills have progressed. Since his interest is in film-making and not in acting, I suppose it's understandable ;) In many of the more recent reviews, his tone of voice and facial expressions are just silly, and he looks and sounds like he's trying to keep from laughing most of the time. There have been some exceptions though. I think the CDi reviews were pretty good. I also liked Bible Games part 2, although it was nowhere near the classic that the first one was (BABY MOSES, BABY MOSES!)

Bucket said:

I prefer the Happy Video Game Nerd (or something like that, on Youtube). He reviews a lot of obscure classics-- like Metal Storm for NES, nobody remembers that.

Oh, I remember that one quite well. That has to be the most underrated NES game ever.

I'm actually an AVGN fan, but I agree that he's past his peak. Much of the series is entertaining, witty, and even - dare I say it - educational, not to mention that the production values vastly exceed those of nearly all other game review videos (which isn't saying much, I guess). But now, it seems like he's lost touch with what made his series good, and is just trying to find new ways to swear. When he reviews especially infamous or ludicrous games (eg Superman 64, CDi games, bible games) the videos are more interesting, but it feels a bit like the potential of those games is wasted. The rich veins of absurdity are not sufficiently tapped.

I like the AVGN but I actually look forward to his other projects more. He's a solid movie reviewer and his tribute shorts to classic films are good. That said he really can't produce a seriouse (intended) film, but he is limited of course.

I'm growing more and more fond of The Nostalgia Critic because his reviews are so simple and he really applies logic to what he reviews.

entertaining witty and educational? He drink cheap beer, make faces and curse for 10 minutes while playing some old game.

Danarchy said:

Worst reviews ever. Yahtzee got the "pissed off geek" thing down way better.

At least I can understand the shit that's coming out of the AVGN's mouth. Listening to Yahtzee is like listening to, I don't know, a goat.

Bucket said:

I would like to second Bucket's recommendation and provide a helpful link to the Happy Video Game Nerds work.

Ralphis said:

At least I can understand the shit that's coming out of the AVGN's mouth. Listening to Yahtzee is like listening to, I don't know, a goat.

It's hard to not hear what he's saying since you always know what he's gonna say next. "-FUCK! *slurp of beer*" :p
Though I can't say I find Yahtzee hard to understand, and I'm not even native English speaking. (not harder than anyone else anyway)

*shrug* dunno, he's always been funny for me, and I'd dare saying that he has become better since the beginning. It's obvious however that he aimed at making the reviews more show-like (no wonder, since he's actually selling high quality DVDs of them) but that never seemed bad to me. As he put it, the actual review time has always been more or less the same, 3-5 minutes. The "acting" part has been steadily growing though.

Strangely enough, I first found out about the Furious Famicom Faggot, and only later about the AVGN :-D

I really liked a lot of the earlier 'reviews' that he did, and I think that the decline in funny videos lately is partially due to the games that he picks; its like he's already done with all the crappy NES games and is struggling for more material.
The funniest parts for me were when he'd point out something crappy about the game that really didn't have to be explained--you could obviously see from the game footage that it was retarded. I never liked the theme song and his 'game comes to life' conclusion acts though.

I like Yahtzee's reviews too, and I don't have too much trouble with the language. I wouldn't say that they're "better" than AVGN reviews, even though they're typically funnier, because their approaches to the "video game review" concept are vastly different. It's apples and oranges.

kristus said:

entertaining witty and educational?

Hey, I know more about console evolution than ever before.

Maes said:

Strangely enough, I first found out about the Furious Famicom Faggot, and only later about the AVGN :-D

While we're complaining about people with diminishing talents, I wish Dave Kelly was still doing webcomics :(

OK, I watched some "Happy Video Game Nerd" and "Yahtzee" reviews to get an idea, as I never heard of those before. The "Happy" nerd closely follows the angry one, only changing the undertone. Interesting, but not really "better", just different. I'll watch more of his stuff for sure, though.

Yahtzee is a completely different thing altogether, not really directly comparable to the AVGN. E.g. they don't even choose the same style of games, nor do they employ the same presentation techniques, not even close.

The AVGN is mostly focused on old console games and he's a professional video editor, something which generally makes his "imitators" look somehow bad. Yahtzee has a totally different style, in this respect, and ...well...I just find it tedious after a while.

Creaphis said:

While we're complaining about people with diminishing talents, I wish Dave Kelly was still doing webcomics :(

Seriously. His really old stuff was actually kind of serious but still good. Sadly, I think only one webcomic still exists from that era. It's called Lizard or something. Everything after that was pretty hilarious but eventually devolved into mindless bullshit. Purple Pussy was the best, but after a few years it ended up turning into a bunch of rarely updated random bullshit before he finally gave it up (that was around the time he started working for SA). There was also Awesome Gamers, which was a pretty funny Penny Arcade parody but after about 6 months it just went really weird and he abandoned it too. Then there was Smut, but that was just random crap and dick jokes from the get go. It was kind of the entire point. I was pretty happy to see him join up with SA, but sadly most of the stuff he's done with them is the random "I've run out of ideas" crap he seems to always fall back on.

Most of his newer episodes are worse but I still think they're pretty funny sometimes, maybe sometimes for the wrong reasons. Like in the michael jackson one he slowly says "This is one of the most awesome things I've ever seen", when I expected him to say something nasty.

Anyone ever watch the nostalgia critic? I think he's slowly doing a better job... but about movies.

If anything, the AVGN appears to have an unhealthy obsession with shit. Apart from the liberal use of the word shit, he also proceeded to display his disgust with shit mockups e.g. dumping brown goo through a plastic ass on a game's cartridge, on Bugs Bunny's face, and in a bag that he gave as a "treat" to some kids in "Halloween".

Danarchy said:

Dave Kelly stuff.

Part of the reason that I like his work is because of the constant changes in style, sporadic updating, abandonment of projects, etc. His temperamental nature made me like his comics more, and I don't know why. It makes him more human, or something, and I like comics by KC Green for the same reason.

More things I like about Dave Kelly's comics are: the awesome art style, which stays simple for months and then suddenly an incredible drawing is thrown in the mix, the jokes that are deeply amusing despite not being funny, and the bizarrely sincere social-crusading which seems to underlie everything he writes.

Living in Greytown found its way back onto the interwebs, so you can chalk that one up as a surviving oldie.

Creaphis said:

Part of the reason that I like his work is because of the constant changes in style, sporadic updating, abandonment of projects, etc. His temperamental nature made me like his comics more, and I don't know why. It makes him more human, or something, and I like comics by KC Green for the same reason.

More things I like about Dave Kelly's comics are: the awesome art style, which stays simple for months and then suddenly an incredible drawing is thrown in the mix, the jokes that are deeply amusing despite not being funny, and the bizarrely sincere social-crusading which seems to underlie everything he writes.

Yeah, I like how varied his styles are, both thematically and artistically. He does the kind of John K thing where the drawings are all simple but then puts in EXTREME DETAIL to emphasize something. Like in Purple Pussy when someone (usually Purple) was going to punch someone, they'd get this huge, heavily-detailed fist with shaded knuckles and veins. I'm just kind of sad that he ended Purple Pussy because it was one of my favorite webcomics of all time.

Living in Greytown found its way back onto the interwebs, so you can chalk that one up as a surviving oldie.

Holy crap. That was the one I thought lost to the ages, and I'd always wanted to read it (it was supposed to be his most serious comic). I think Lizard was actually a spin-off of it.

Danarchy said:

He does the kind of John K thing where the drawings are all simple but then puts in EXTREME DETAIL to emphasize something. Like in Purple Pussy when someone (usually Purple) was going to punch someone, they'd get this huge, heavily-detailed fist with shaded knuckles and veins.

Yeah, that's exactly the effect I'm talking about. I love it.

Danarchy said:

Holy crap. That was the one I thought lost to the ages, and I'd always wanted to read it (it was supposed to be his most serious comic).

Same here. After reading his other archives I really wanted to read this one too. I don't think it ever left the internet completely, but for a long time you had to have a Keenspot paid account to see it. I would check that URL once in a while to see if the archives were open to the masses, and, luckily, now they are.