Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Liam

Anime.

ANIME FUCKING SUCKS AND DON'T ANY OF YOU SONS OF BITCHES TELL ME ABOUT HOW I'M SEEING THE WRONG SHOWS AND HOW MOST ANIME IS RICH WITH ENGROSSING PLOT BECAUSE I'M NOT AND IT ISN'T.

Flame on.

/me lights a match. A small one.

Most anime is crap. There are a couple of diamonds among the feces, as there are in any collection of media; but even among the (rather limited) selection of titles that actually made it to the States, most of it isn't worth the tape it's recorded on.

I have at least 3 friends obsessed with anime, so I have to argue about this all the time. Anime, as a general rule, is crap. I've seen the stuff on Cartoon Network, I've seen the stuff they used to play on the Sci-Fi channel, and I've seen several videos as well.

Basicaly its just a bunch of horribly-animated action scenes smushed together and tied with a weak (and often nonsensical) plot. In short, its just an excuse for making a film full of sex and violence without putting any effort into it.

At the apogee of horrible anime lies Project A-ko. I cannot rant enough against it. Heres the plot: First it starts out with a crappy storyline about a girl who goes to school with a bunch of weird-ass characters, most of whom have superhuman strength for some odd reason. There's C-ko, a little girl who throws a temper tantrum every 5 minutes (fucking annoying). Then theres B-ko, some bitch with something against A-ko(inovative names, eh?). Then theres some huge behemoth of a schoolgirl who's voice acting gets taken over by Lou Ferrigno whenever she gets pissed. Apparently, theres some mysterious guy whos following around A-ko and C-ko for some mysterious reason. The next half-hour or so is comprised of a long-ass catfight between A-ko and B-ko. Then when no one is looking, C-ko is abducted by aliens (of which the mysterious man is one of). I think they did this because C-ko was their long-lost princess or something. It didn't really make sense, but now we have a 3-mile spaceship hovering above the city, and A-ko and B-ko fighting in mech suits. A-ko breaks off the fight to rescue C-ko, and when in the alien spaceship, she discovers a room full of underwear, relealing the aliens dark secret: they are all female! Even the butt ugly ones with a male figure, deep voice, and a stubbly chin! However, this doesn't really seem to have any impact on the plot, but the whole thing ends with the huge ass spaceship landing on the tallest, thinnest tower imagineable...and it doesn't fall! It just sits there while everyone proceeds with their daily lives as if nothing happened. Oi!

But there are is some 'good' anime. Record of the Lodoss War was kinda cool, but its been years since I've seen it. Dragonball is addictive to watch, maybe because Vegeta is so badass (hehe). This show is best watched with friends, because its fun to make fun of all the cliches and horrible plot development.

But the bottom line is that anime is not worth going out of your way to watch, and getting obsessed with it turns you into something worse than a trekkie.

WAHT YUO TAALKIN ABUOT LAIM POKEMON IS TEH 1337!!@%%#&^$&^%&^#%^^

Not really.

I haven't watched enough anime to know whether some is good or not, but the idea of being obsessed with japanese cartoons seems a little weird to me. No offense to anyone.

All this "anine" stuff is possibly some of the stupidest crap I've ever seen. Any whacko with an artist or two can make one of those shows, it's just totally random ideas that have no connection to eachother thrown together and called a "series". The stuff was OK back when it was called Japanimation.

cmon you still got to hand it to the guys, some shows rock, some dont. i like cowboy bebop. someshows are shit. hellow kitty for one. but still, atleast they dont make stupid shit like arthur and crap.
cowboy bebop and some movies like ghost in the shell and akira are good.

cowboy bebop

...Is so boring, dull, and inane that I can't even sit through a full episode of it without falling asleep, and this is coming from a guy who has had to watch a full session of TRL.

Well now, I feel outnumbered here. I personally love anime, and I'll give any show a chance. I guess I'm just not really picky, but I like the majority of what I see. Compared to most shows I've seen, a lot of anime (there are a fair number of exceptions) I have seen has a sense continuity and purpose. Some of you may think the purpose is stupid, but at least it beats mindless shows with no purpose at all.

ROROUNI KENSHIN YOU ASSHOLES

BEST ANIME EVER.

NO STUPID CRAP.
NO FUZZY CREATURES.
NO IDIOT COMPANIONS.
A PLOT
GREAT ANIMATION

People that says anime sucks haven't really tried to understand them. Granted, most of it sucks. I'm the kind of person who loathes Pokemon, Digimon and Dragon Ball Z.

But Rorouni Kenshin (also called Samurai X). Dunno, it's like believable. It makes sense. Even with the crappy translations.

dragonballZ = they yell and sweat alot, some fighting.

no not really but i still dont like it. the best anime i have ever seen was when i was 8. it was a show that never came to america and still hasnt. it was all in japenese so i couldnt understand it, but the weirdest thing, after about 5 hours of watching it non stop i actually knew what they where saying.

And besides, when it comes to animation. Hell, there's nothing like what the Japanese do.

South Park's funny, but that's it.

The Simpsons are basically crap now and Futurama's dying. All the others I don't even care.

Kids cartoons suck now. They all do. Poor bastards, and to think we enjoyed stuff like Thundercats, SilverHawks, He-Man and Transformers.

Now add all the real-life series. Bah, I only watch ER, Friends and sometimes "Whose line is it anyway?".

Rorouni Kenshin's the only reason why I watch a minimum of half an hour of TV per day.

I'll agree that there is some tolerable/good anime out there, but I'm not <deadnail>going to dig through a pile of shit just to find the raisin at the bottom</deadnail>.

I'll also agree that to some it may be considered an appealing art form, but you can only be entertained by the "appeal" of art for so long unless you're one of those jackasses who shows off a large board with paint splattered all over it and then describes it's "inner genius" with a slew of bullshit art critic jargon. Art needs depth, and this is where anime shits out. 99.99% of every anime I've seen is pretty much just mind candy - The plot is disconnected, and the characters have the emotional strength of say... Al Gore.

I don't have the end-all educated opinion here, but I've seen a lot past all that Pokemon/DragonBall shite, so don't think about replying seriously with "you all are just seeing the wrong damn shows".

He-Man

Shit, when I was a little Bard, I loved that show :)

I don't have the end-all educated opinion here, but I've seen a lot past all that Pokemon/DragonBall shite, so don't think about replying seriously with "you all are just seeing the wrong damn shows".

Watch Rorouni Kenshin. It has that RPG feel I'm pretty sure you'll like.

Well the last real thing I watched was the original X-Men animated series. Before that, mmh Zodiac Knights (or whatever's called in your country), before that TMNT and before all that I can't really tell.

I've watched about 20 episodes of Kenshin, and though it is good, it didn't impress me as much as dome of the other shows I've seen. It felt kind of repetative (though I still love the train episode) if you ask me. Maybe I should watch the rest of the series. A friend of mine has the whole series on his computer, so I suppose I could take a few days and have a marathon. Just for clarifaction (because I don't know any better), but is Samurai X a prequel to Kenshin or is it the same thing? I've heard people say both about it.

Also, has anyone here seen Neon Genesis: Evangeleon? If not then you might at least give it a try. I was very pleasantly surprised when I watched it (and note: watching the whole series and both movies in a single day is will affect your mental state)

I've watched about 20 episodes of Kenshin, and though it is good, it didn't impress me as much as dome of the other shows I've seen. It felt kind of repetative (though I still love the train episode) if you ask me. Maybe I should watch the rest of the series. A friend of mine has the whole series on his computer, so I suppose I could take a few days and have a marathon. Just for clarifaction (because I don't know any better), but is Samurai X a prequel to Kenshin or is it the same thing? I've heard people say both about it.

The story starts kicking in once the Ten Swords arrive to aid Mr. Toasty (I forgot how to spell the real name :)

Also, has anyone here seen Neon Genesis: Evangeleon? If not then you might at least give it a try. I was very pleasantly surprised when I watched it (and note: watching the whole series and both movies in a single day is will affect your mental state)

AAAAAAAHHHH NOOOOoOoooooo
The last movie, with the real life clips...god, WTF is that?!?

i liked neon genesis alot but i never saw the movies

The movies are going to be released on DVD around the middle of 2002. Just in case anyone cares.

If any of you have ever seen Ghost in the Shell...or was it Ghost in a Shell? Well anyways, the movie rocks, I fucking loved it, so I TRIED to stomach some other anime...couldnt. GHOST IN A/THE SHELL RULES, GO DIE IF YOU ARE IN LOVE WITH ANIME!!!

I liked Akira a lot, and Ninja Scroll was cool...But Akira's probably the only one with any depth whatsoever. You don't watch anime for depth; you watch it because it makes Robocop look like a kiddy-movie. That really is all there is to it.

If any of you have ever seen Ghost in the Shell...or was it Ghost in a Shell? Well anyways, the movie rocks, I fucking loved it, so I TRIED to stomach some other anime...couldnt. GHOST IN A/THE SHELL RULES, GO DIE IF YOU ARE IN LOVE WITH ANIME!!!

Ghost in the Shell was decent. I found the manga to be a great deal better. But since it seems you liked the movie so much I'm sure that you'll be glad to hear that a sequel is in the works.

Wow dammit, nobody has lit up this thread with "ANIME RULES YOU FAGS".

Why would anyone do such a thing?

BECOZ ANIME IS KEWL IT HAS MECH SUITS AND FURRY THANGS AND CARTOON CHICKS AND... ah... stupid fucking otakus.