Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Liam

Anime.

I watch a little anime, and I've found some stuff that I kinda like, but I'm no otaku. I know a couple otaku, and they scare the piss outta me.

Bad enough that they have an almost encyclopedic knowledge of bad/obscure anime... but it's like none of these people have heard of "deoderant." As if they're too busy watching taped episodes of Robotech to bathe in the morning. You can smell these people coming. Idunno. :)

BECOZ ANIME IS KEWL IT HAS MECH SUITS AND FURRY THANGS AND CARTOON CHICKS AND... ah... stupid fucking otakus.

We aren't all that bad, ya know. I'll admit that some of my friends cross the line when it comes to obsession, but not all otakus are so closed minded.

BECOZ ANIME IS KEWL IT HAS MECH SUITS AND FURRY THANGS AND CARTOON CHICKS AND... ah... stupid fucking otakus.

We aren't all that bad, ya know. I'll admit that some of my friends cross the line when it comes to obsession, but not all otakus are so closed minded.

Don't fret it :) That's who I was talking about.

Gah! My DM is an otaku. I'm just glad he hasn't brought any of that crap into the campaign. I still say 95% of anime sucks. The artwork is so identical that if anyone picked up one of those 'How to Draw Manga' books, then in a year they could start making their own damn anime. Its really sad that at my school, all the kids who are hailed as the best artists there all draw anime. I could draw great anime if I wanted to, but I prefer to keep my own style, no matter how shitty it is.

Gah! My DM is an otaku. I'm just glad he hasn't brought any of that crap into the campaign.

Do yourself a favor: Keep the guy away from the Oriental sourcebook.

Gah! My DM is an otaku. I'm just glad he hasn't brought any of that crap into the campaign.

Do yourself a favor: Keep the guy away from the Oriental sourcebook.

ROFL...he actualy has that in his library (which is basicaly just my books and the books of anohter guy in our campaign). But he hasn't really done anything with it yet. I'm more worried about my friend, a fighter, who wishes to make a pair of sword-chucks...its reaching a level of obsession.

ROFL...he actualy has that in his library (which is basicaly just my books and the books of anohter guy in our campaign). But he hasn't really done anything with it yet. I'm more worried about my friend, a fighter, who wishes to make a pair of sword-chucks...its reaching a level of obsession.

I say let him, but keep the Limb Loss table handy at all times and see how long he lasts. Make him roll a Reflex save every time he attacks. :)

I say let him, but keep the Limb Loss table handy at all times and see how long he lasts. Make him roll a Reflex save every time he attacks. :)

Yep. Thats the plan. He says it will probably be more benificial to us in the enemys' hands. :)

Some anime is good and some absolutely sucks. I personally despise most dubbed anime.... usually ruins the emotion the charcater was supposed to have... and the lines are usually changed, at times drastically. Anime is just a catch-all term. Here's a few that I love and why:

Patlabor: mechs, humor and some interesting drama. C'mon, Ota the gun nut is fun ^_^ especially in the first episode of the tv series when he fights the drunk dude.... the guy grabbed Ota's mech's foot and forced him to hop around backwards.

Ruin Explorers: some things serious, some not. Ihrie's a great leading lady aside from her curse which causes "ufortunate" and furry results. Swords and sorcery basically, but it has good points.

The Venus Wars: pretty old, but still good. A war, a mini-semi-romance and things to think about. Just ignore that mechaphile guy, he even creeped out the main charcater x_o...

Vampire Princess Miyu (not TV): dark, errie and beautiful. It's well-done horror and mysterious, too... sad in many places. Poor young Miyu... she didn't want to embrace what she became.

I don't watch Toonami as it's watered-down and usually badly dubbed. I hate stuff when it gets too commercialized... original Gundam Wing was actually pretty good. "That's just dandy" indeed... someone put US Zechs out of his misery.

Bah, additional: I'm no otaku! They're usually -way- too obsessed with anime... I -like- it, but it's no way of life to me. I'm more of a gamer anyway, but unlike some "otaku" you mention, I actually do bathe. It -is- fun to play Sonic Adventure 2 nearly all day... o_O must.. raise... cool Chao critters!.. and get more A level rank. That can be really hard ;_;

My friend, who IS otaku, goes to something called Sakura-con every year...in fact, you can look at his website here. If you look through the pictures section, you can see some real corny otakus.

With the cons, what I find weird is all the people dressing as characters they look -nothing- like. Nobody can be as thin as Lina Inverse and stay standing on her own two feet, but she does not weigh bloody 300 pounds! Oi.... some cosplayers can be cute, others bizzare and some... just.. sickening. I do have a friend who went as Noriko, but at least she actually plays the part fairly well and has a purple wig, to boot! Of course the real Nori character was a guy who was prentending to be a woman... complicated story x_o there. Fushigi Yuugi is okay, but is just... a little to overdrawn and 'mushy' most of the time for my taste. Ayashi no Ceres is better, I think. Hagorimono!... or something like that. Gimmie my damn Hagori-whatever (that's kinda what the plot key is, there)! Touya has pwetty eyes o_o...

I've never watched anime...but anime girls are sooo sexyy

Ditto for some of the anime guys.... then there are just the totally bizzare. I like Al from Dominion Tank Police... "Are we really supposed to interrogate suspects this way?" is his view on grenade golf (it -worked-, the blighter confessed).

With the cons, what I find weird is all the people dressing as characters they look -nothing- like. Nobody can be as thin as Lina Inverse and stay standing on her own two feet, but she does not weigh bloody 300 pounds! Oi.... some cosplayers can be cute, others bizzare and some... just.. sickening. I do have a friend who went as Noriko, but at least she actually plays the part fairly well and has a purple wig, to boot! Of course the real Nori character was a guy who was prentending to be a woman... complicated story x_o there. Fushigi Yuugi is okay, but is just... a little to overdrawn and 'mushy' most of the time for my taste. Ayashi no Ceres is better, I think. Hagorimono!... or something like that. Gimmie my damn Hagori-whatever (that's kinda what the plot key is, there)! Touya has pwetty eyes o_o...

I understood about 5% of that.

Mmmm...hentai...

Translation: Nobody can expect to dress up as an anime character, and hope to look presentable. And shoujo anime blows ass.

Mmmm...hentai...

/me drools at the thought and goes for the "Business" section of the Favorites list ;)

I heard someone saw something horrible at some type of anime convention or software show in Japan that will give everyone nightmares... a guy dressed up like Morrigan (from Darkstalkers/Vampire Hunter, Vampire Savior).

/me sends five thousand cybernetic big eyed anime girls and transvestites with cat ears and tails to molest Liam for no good reason.

Yep, definitely. And so are actually most cartoon females, the artists seem to love making shapes very explicit (look at Marvel comics for example) and give all the girls pretty faces :P

By the way, this better not degenerate into anything about p0rn now that hentai was mentioned and all...

I've never watched animes, but I dislike the way all girls in Japanese art have enormous bambi-eyes and hair coloured in ugly colors(yeeccchhh!). I wonder if the Japanese are depressed with their narrow eyes, since they give their characters such big eyes, lol.

Definitely *not* an art style I'll adopt that's fer sure!

*patiently tries every encoding in IE.

Nope, this doesn't make any sense.

I've never watched animes, but I dislike the way all girls in Japanese art have enormous bambi-eyes and hair coloured in ugly colors(yeeccchhh!). I wonder if the Japanese are depressed with their narrow eyes, since they give their characters such big eyes, lol.

The size and shape of the eyes usually denotes certain personality traits of the character- most notably whether they are good or evil. The hair color is used to distinguish between different characters, which is sometimes actually needed.

Am I actually one of the only people who understands this? I've never been to a con- they usually aren't held around where I live and I have no place to stay in Houston. I have seen pictures from my the cons that my friend has been to. Some of those people look pretty creepy, but there was one really good Black Mage costume. I have Fushigi Yugi on DVD (I like collecting stuff), and it had it's moments. Tasuki is easily the coolest character- and also my name when I play Sven-Coop, Science and Industry, and RTCW, though Chichiri is also very cool (ya know?). A friend of mine got a badly subtitled version of Ayashi no Ceres. I haven't bothered to watch it yet (not only is are the subtitles inaccurate, but they don't kick in till the last ten minutes, and even then they come in with in vengence).

Useless facts: The bizarre hair and eye colors in anime stem from people being too lazy to color in people's hair in black & white comic books. They just assumed that the hair would be black. Later on, they started getting creative. The big eyes (big breasts, big asses, *drool*...) were inspired by Walt Disney's early cartoons, where all the critters had extremely large and emphasised eyes, hands, et al. One of the original Japanese cartoonists borrowed a lot from ol' Walt.

Am I actually one of the only people who understands this? I've never been to a con- they usually aren't held around where I live and I have no place to stay in Houston. I have seen pictures from my the cons that my friend has been to. Some of those people look pretty creepy, but there was one really good Black Mage costume. I have Fushigi Yugi on DVD (I like collecting stuff), and it had it's moments. Tasuki is easily the coolest character- and also my name when I play Sven-Coop, Science and Industry, and RTCW, though Chichiri is also very cool (ya know?). A friend of mine got a badly subtitled version of Ayashi no Ceres. I haven't bothered to watch it yet (not only is are the subtitles inaccurate, but they don't kick in till the last ten minutes, and even then they come in with in vengence).

Proof positive that, even if you can read the language, doesn't mean you can translate it into Human.

only good anime is hentai

well, not realy. Dragonball was alot better than DBZ.

Is that Daft Punk video considered anime?

Useless facts: The bizarre hair and eye colors in anime stem from people being too lazy to color in people's hair in black & white comic books. They just assumed that the hair would be black. Later on, they started getting creative. The big eyes (big breasts, big asses, *drool*...) were inspired by Walt Disney's early cartoons, where all the critters had extremely large and emphasised eyes, hands, et al. One of the original Japanese cartoonists borrowed a lot from ol' Walt.

Well, there may be a good reason for these elements, but that still doesn't prevent me from getting progressively tired of this style of art.

I'll stick with my own "reality-copying" style (note: this doesn't mean that I'm good at "copying" things in real life, merely that I pay close attention to details in real objects and try to put them down on my paper.)

I can't stand Dragonball. Either of them. It doesn't help that four of the six roommates I've had are obsessed with it. (One even downloaded pirated copies of some episodes before they were on TV. This from the guy who thinks music piracy is immoral and evil.)

Really, I can't stand any series where they spend twice as much money and effort advertising the thing as they did trying to translate it.

Really, I can't stand any series where they spend twice as much money and effort advertising the thing as they did trying to translate it.

I can't stand ANY product where they've spend too much money and effort advertising the thing.

I would've enjoyed RtCW a lot more if they hadn't filled us with screenshots and previews of the game before the game came out. I tried to avoid these things, but the temptation was too strong :-[