Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Brandon D. Lade

Which first level is shorter?

I don't know exact figures, but I would guess that Entryway would be completable much faster. I mean, there is only one door to open, rather than 3 doors in E1M1, as well as the fact that there is much less ground to cover.

esselfortium said:

It's also possible to complete Entryway without ever turning left or right.

Is this accomplished by going straight until you reach the first corner, strafing to the right, going backward until you reach the brown room, strafing right again to align with the exit door, then going stragiht forward into the exit?

Very interesting question. Here's another one to think about.

Which last level is shorter? Map30 or E3M8? (E4M8 doesn't count, we know it's bigger). Oh, and you have to start with a pistol in each map.

Pure Hellspawn said:

Very interesting question. Here's another one to think about.

Which last level is shorter? Map30 or E3M8? (E4M8 doesn't count, we know it's bigger).

Well, I'd have to go with E3M8, because I can usually do that in under a minute and I suck hard at MAP30 and equivalents.

But given perfect aim with the rockets into the Icon of Sin's brain, it would be closer. I still think I'd have to go with E3M8, just because provided a BFG the spider mastermind goes down pretty fast without too much damage to the player, whereas it usually takes at least 2 trips on the lift platform to kill the Icon of Sin.

EDIT: Oh, pistol start? That makes it a lot more complicated. o_O In that case I'd probably go with the Icon of Sin, since you are given more than enough ammo to kill it, and with the spider mastermind you get pretty meager ammo for the rocket launcher and not much else.

I don't think I've ever beaten e3m8 on a pistol start. I haven't played Doom 1 much lately, and I always used to play it as an episode.

And it seems that the records for both e3m8 and map30 are 30 seconds in COMPET - N.

MAP30 is shorter than E3M8, because one can just run up to the switch, throw it, jump on to the raising platform and shoot two rockets while going up, then one more while falling, right into the monster.

Creaphis is doing the right thing here. The most objective answer for such questions is in the COMPET-N records.

After that, or in a more subjective sense, some people with less (or more? :p) skill may handle the levels differently, with an advantage here, a disadvantage there, depending on their, knowledge, skills and handicaps.