Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Georgef551

Looney Libreal Bin: No Big-Screen TV for You!

Looks like the European Union wants to ban the big screen plasma TV's, because they use too much power to operate:

http://www.avreview.co.uk/news/article/mps/uan/2603

Not to be outdone, the Looney Liberal Capital of the World wants to 1-up the EU:

http://www.usnews.com/blogs/fresh-greens/2009/01/06/california-may-ban-big-screen-tvs.html

Proves the extreme Librals are too stupid to let things like RESEARCH get in the way of doing what THEY want you to do. Plasma TV's even the larger ones, use a lot less energy than the CRT sets do, and even more so, the true power-sucking 3-CRT rear-projection models. DLP and LCD rears use more as well, although the LED-lit DLP's use less energy than their projector bulb counterparts.
So the LCD's use a lot less, and the new OLED's even less, but as a whole, the plasma sets don't really use all that much. The Liberals see a big screen, and ASSume (no typo) power-hungry. Not quite right.

So, what's your opinion, especially if you have a big screen TV?
I say, if I want it, and can afford to operate it, LET ME HAVE IT.

Georgef551 said:

Looks like the European Union wants to ban the big screen plasma TV's, because they use too much power to operate:

http://www.avreview.co.uk/news/article/mps/uan/2603

Not to be outdone, the Looney Liberal Capital of the World wants to 1-up the EU:

http://www.usnews.com/blogs/fresh-greens/2009/01/06/california-may-ban-big-screen-tvs.html

Proves the extreme Librals are too stupid to let things like RESEARCH get in the way of doing what THEY want you to do. Plasma TV's even the larger ones, use a lot less energy than the CRT sets do, and even more so, the true power-sucking 3-CRT rear-projection models. DLP and LCD rears use more as well, although the LED-lit DLP's use less energy than their projector bulb counterparts.
So the LCD's use a lot less, and the new OLED's even less, but as a whole, the plasma sets don't really use all that much. The Liberals see a big screen, and ASSume (no typo) power-hungry. Not quite right.

So, what's your opinion, especially if you have a big screen TV?
I say, if I want it, and can afford to operate it, LET ME HAVE IT.

Looks like you're too busy feigning outrage to let things like spelling and syntax aid you in making your point more coherent. Is it libreal or libral? It's spelled "liberal" and note that no capitalization of the word is required in this case, either. Additionally, a pluralization typically does not require the use of an apostrophe. These are nit-picky things at best, but showing that you are capable of writing will only help people take this missive more seriously.

That said, the argument being made is a cogent one. It's already been made apparent that higher end LCD televisions outperform plasma sets in both power consumption and image quality. So you can still have your big TV and make less of an impact on the environment. Cause for outrage nullified.

Your assumption that liberals see a big screen and think power hungry is also a thoroughly overreaching statement. I don't own a big screen, but I'd like to. But I would personally try to find a model that had the best balance of low power consumption, resolution and performance. Thankfully, it's possible.

Considering that plasma screens are outperformed by LCDs and will be further outdone by OLED technology, you're making a case that doesn't need to be made since a better choice (all things are considered) is already available.

i can think of many things that should be changed... in particular, the american school system.

Let the man rant? Freedom of speech? It seems like liberals want to exercise freedom of speech until someone says something they disagree with or attacks liberal views, then it's time to lay down the law. Just a little mannerism I have noticed, not particularly here, but the area I live in.

Georgef551 said:

Proves the extreme Librals are too stupid to let things like RESEARCH get in the way of doing what THEY want you to do.

MUCH LIKE YOUR POSTING

Georgef551 said:

Proves the extreme Librals are too stupid to let things like RESEARCH get in the way of doing what THEY want you to do.

The Australian Government's opted for an Energy Star rating system so buyers can let their conscience be their guide, no hint of a "big brother" ban on plasma TV here - at least not yet.

Plasma TV's even the larger ones, use a lot less energy than the CRT sets do, and even more so, the true power-sucking 3-CRT rear-projection models. DLP and LCD rears use more as well, although the LED-lit DLP's use less energy than their projector bulb counterparts.

The folks at CNET came up with an interesting baseline measurement for TV's - "Watts: Power on - Per Square Inch" and a quick perusal of the 139 HDTVs' in this chart would suggest that rear-projection TV's are the most economical to run, plasma models are the thirstiest and LCD's are somewhere in-between.

So...what are you getting pissed about? The article you cited said itself that LCD sets are more effective than plasma screens, and since LCD screens can be built at the same size and with better picture and less power consumption, eliminating plasma screens isn't going to make life too much harder for anybody. I'm not one to believe in banning products but you are trying to make this a much bigger deal than it is.

darknation said:

can anyone think of anything else that needs to be banned?

I think Planky guessed what darknation was thinking...

Shit. I don't want my TV set taken away because of this law you all seem so ok about... And I don't want to be forced to use a specific kind of display if what I prefer is plasma, either. Nah, they won't take it away from me.

If you're lucky you'll be given a choice - have it taken away from you OR have you taken away from it. :P

Lich said:

It's already been made apparent that higher end LCD televisions outperform plasma sets in both power consumption and image quality.

Uh, what? Plasmas still have superior colors, black levels, response times, and viewing angles.

Comparing the power draw isn't as straight forward as they make it out to be either - an LCD draws X watts constantly, since the backlight is always on. Power usage of a plasma will vary greatly based on how bright the displayed image is.

And I still don't see how this is an "OMG LIBRAEL!!!" issue. European politics are not split into two arbitary buckets. This whole issue is total FUD.

Jodwin said:

Who needs TVs anyway? They should be banned altogether.

The problem with new flatscreens to me is that it would turn an old home theatre system into a large bucket with a screen in the bottom of it.

david_a said:

Uh, what? Plasmas still have superior colors, black levels, response times, and viewing angles.

Comparing the power draw isn't as straight forward as they make it out to be either - an LCD draws X watts constantly, since the backlight is always on. Power usage of a plasma will vary greatly based on how bright the displayed image is.

And I still don't see how this is an "OMG LIBRAEL!!!" issue. European politics are not split into two arbitary buckets. This whole issue is total FUD.

I've been rightly schooled on this; If you're willing to spend more, you can get LCD models with excellent contrast, whereas most plasma models typically have excellent contrast. It's just more common that you'll have LCD models with lower quality since the technology is ubiquitous compared to plasma.

Functionally speaking, LCDs are still superior and are better adapted for use on a PC than plasma is, due to burn in concerns.

Viewing angle tends to be overemphasized. If you buy shitty super-budget model LCDs, you'll have a problem with viewing angle, but if you spend a little more cash you can easily get one with a wide viewing angle. If you're watching your television from some kind of fucked up side angle all the time because you're doing something else in the kitchen, then turn the thing off and focus on what you're doing before you cut your fingers off.

The power usage argument regarding plasma technology is kind of weak, though. If power usage is dependent on the brightness of the image being displayed, consider that most television, advertising, movies and video games utilize a lot of bright, colorful and/or contrasting imagery. An average plasma television user will end up consuming more power on average based on the nature of how media is designed and produced.

as someone who has no vested interest in politics, what defines a liberal and what does it have to do with my monitor?

Patrick Pineda said:

as someone who has no vested interest in politics, what defines a liberal and what does it have to do with my monitor?

A libral is some one whos political views do not side with Republican or Deomcratic views.

Can they also side with parts of both on a given issue?

Patrick Pineda said:

Liberals are frequently identified as being democrats, but the word has been applied in different fashions. For instance, neoliberalism doesn't imply what you might think, and some of its meaning shares common ground, oddly enough, with neoconservatism. It refers to a person who believes in free market and free trade policies. Although unlike libertarianism, neoconservatism believes that government intervention is acceptable in select situations (the bank bailout) and to protect national interests (militarism and oil).

The term "liberal" is used, often pejoratively, to mean a person who favors greater personal freedoms (gay marriage, legalization of drugs like marijuana, etc), tax-funded social programs (unemployment benefits, social security, nationalized health care, etc), unionization, regulated economic policies (e.g., the Wagner and Sherman Anti-Trust acts) and fair taxation on the basis of income to maintain what is considered to be the commons (roads, schools, parks, public utilities, libraries, police and fire departments, etc).

Patrick Pineda said:

Ideally it should have nothing to do with anybody's monitors.

Banning things arbitrarily has nothing to do with us liberals, so I don't know what in the flying fuck you're talking about.

darknation said:

can anyone think of anything else that needs to be banned?

I can see two words...first starts with G...second starts with F. I can also see a phrase that rhymes with "Creole muff".

Lich said:

If you're watching your television from some kind of fucked up side angle all the time because you're doing something else in the kitchen, then turn the thing off and focus on what you're doing before you cut your fingers off.

That's a fucking lame argument, really. I may still have to watch the TV sideways, just because it's badly positioned, just because I'm in another angle and I can't move. Details shouldn't be ignored just because they're not prioritary.

Oh, the article about Europe points to a UK news? What else could I expect, really.

printz said:

That's a fucking lame argument, really. I may still have to watch the TV sideways, just because it's badly positioned, just because I'm in another angle and I can't move. Details shouldn't be ignored just because they're not prioritary.

Oh, the article about Europe points to a UK news? What else could I expect, really.

At what time, in your own home, can you not adjust the position or location of your television or wait for a better time to watch television in a more comfortable setting and position? When does anyone have to watch television in their own home? Are you disabled to an extent where you can't move or move things around? Do you have a job where you are required to watch television at fucked up angles all the time?

Additionally, prioritary is not a word.

Satyr000 said:

A libral is some one whos political views do not side with Republican or Deomcratic views.

Can they also side with parts of both on a given issue?

That helps, but I am neither a republican or democrat and people tend to call me conservative?

I believe in unrestricitive government, even at the risk of feelings of insecurirty. I oppose war. I oppose religion. I oppose taxes. I support free trade in all respects. What does this make me?

And in that respect, Circuit City sold me an HP 1707 for $50 (LCD monitor, widescreen 1440x900) so what does that have to do with my politics? nothing.

EDIT: I get it! damn enviro-hippies!

Patrick Pineda said:

That helps, but I am neither a republican or democrat and people tend to call me conservative?

I believe in unrestricitive government, even at the risk of feelings of insecurirty. I oppose war. I oppose religion. I oppose taxes. I support free trade in all respects. What does this make me?

And in that respect, Circuit City sold me an HP 1707 for $50 (LCD monitor, widescreen 1440x900) so what does that have to do with my politics? nothing.

EDIT: I get it! damn enviro-hippies!

You'd probably identify with most libertarians, given what you've told us.