Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Basically, this screenshot is part of a future mapset that will basically be me toying with GZDoom and ACS. It is mainly inspired by Alien Vendetta, and when released it will most likely be my first public release ever.

I considered keeping this completely under wraps, release the two Megawads consisting of older, really crappy maps (and one that I just made so I could blast 4000 monsters at once), and then surprise you guys with a masterpiece. But then I realized... what if the masterpiece also sucked?

It won't. I doubt it'll be Cacoaward material, because I'm basically snatching bits and pieces from other wads and putting them in mine - it uses lots of Alien Vendetta textures, some Deus Vult ones (not the big banners or facades, or that freaky cat...), and most of the non-Heretic looking monsters (58 new ones, plus or minus a few depending on what I decide) from the Beastiary at Realm 667...

... which is the main reason why I am making this WAD. I finally figured out how to add monsters into a WAD, and customize the GZDoom.cfg for Doom Builder for easy insertion. I also had fun looking up various scripts and brain storming ideas. I look forward to implementing many of these new monsters to good use, having several levels with a particular theme and such... and others where it is a Dark Dome style slaughter fest.

The main goal of this project is practice. This will by no means be my magnum opus for the Doom community, but rather a stepping stone toward that goal. By the time this project is finished, I will have honed my GZDoom skills to pursue a project I first thought up back in 2005... making a faithful recreation of Commander Keen. About a year and a half ago, I started work on this project, making a small private demo map and if some of you recall (doubtful) me asking how to implement the color Cyan in Doom (Cyan is used heavily, and also happens to be a color commonly used for transparency). School got in the way, and I also realized I had no idea how to add new items... I still don't, really, because I just used Merge WAD with XWE to add those monsters (lol). I got Cyan working, I implemented 3D floors, sloped 3D floors, and a scripted sequence creating a perfect working replica of the disappearing floors from Miragia (Commander Keen 4), as well as working platforms that went up and down from the start of a level, and those that needed a switch.

http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c47/JoeCapricorn/Screenshot_Doom_20090121_003419.png
http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c47/JoeCapricorn/Screenshot_Doom_20090121_003505.png

http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c47/JoeCapricorn/alphascreen3.jpg

Good luck with it. :)

Joe Capricorn said:

... and customize the GZDoom.cfg for Doom Builder for easy insertion.

Btw, how did you do this?

Kyka said:

Good luck with it. :)

Btw, how did you do this?

Edit the GZDoom config as you would any txt file, with notepad.

monsters
{
color = 12; // Light Red
arrow = 1;
title = "Monsters";
width = 20;
sort = 1;
height = 56;
hangs = 0;
blocking = 2;
error = 2;

{
title = "Former Human";
sprite = "POSSA2A8";

}

// .................................

{
title = "Former Human (stealth)";
sprite = "POSSA2A8";
}
// After this last guy here, who is no longer the last monster, simply add on the following:

ID# of monster (usually in DECORATE in the definition object of a monster, such as ACTOR "Afrit" 3120 --- 3120 is the ID#
{
title = "Name your monster"
sprite = "Filename of a frame of your monster"

width =
height = If you want the editor to display the approximate size of the monster, I think these are what you use. I think width is the radius of a square, while height is the radius of a vertical square.

If you just need an entry in Doom Builder and don't care about the other dingdangs, then all you need is "Title"... name the monster whatever you want. Such as here:

{
title = "Azazel";
}

If I wanted to add the option of having a sprite represent Azazel in the demo... I would have

{
title = "Azazel";
sprite= "A photo of a lovely Azazel posing cutely on a sunny day with a gentle fanged smile. :3";
width = 24;
height = over 9000;
}

Test it, make sure you strictly follow the format and syntax of the language in GZDOOM.cfg, and test it until it works.

Edit: Forgive my weirdness... this legally prescribed sleep-aid is making me hallucinate and giggle too much. hehehe.... ohohohoh.... hehehe