Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Ra02

Add more monsters

I know how to add 1 custom monster, but whenever I try to add more, they wont appear in the DECORATE section. Does it depend on what port I use? Because I tried with Boom, Zdoom id Doom format, (doom in hexen is quite difficult for me, I don't understand that port) I've done this in XWE by merging monster into map, also tried in DeepSea but the same result, what am I doing wrong? Thanks

When the wad's open in XWE - do you have lumps named "DECORATE" that are not of the Type "DECORATE"? (also identified by the Z on its icon) I suspect there's one for each monster DoomBuilder/ZDoom can't find.
The tidiest solution to that problem is to copy'n'paste the contents of the other "DECORATE" files to the one that's type "DECORATE" and delete the others after checking in DoomBuilder that all the monsters are available.

And yes - DECORATE is port-dependent, developed for ZDoom and it's relatives.

Ra02 said:

I know how to add 1 custom monster, but whenever I try to add more, they wont appear in the DECORATE section. Does it depend on what port I use? Because I tried with Boom, Zdoom id Doom format, (doom in hexen is quite difficult for me, I don't understand that port) I've done this in XWE by merging monster into map, also tried in DeepSea but the same result, what am I doing wrong? Thanks

You seem to be confusing source port and map format.

Source ports are things like PrBoom, ZDoom, Eternity, Doomsday, EDGE, and so on.

Map formats are, well, limited to Doom format, Hexen format and UDMF.

The ZDoom sourceport allows to use all features from any of the games it supports (Doom 1+2, Heretic, Hexen, Strife, and now ChexQuest) in every other, so you can use the (all-around better and more powerful) Hexen map format for Doom maps. This is called "Doom in Hexen" and it allows to have scripting, polyobjects, more complex line, sector and thing actions, etc.

Finally, even though they use the same map format, different ports might have different features. For example, Boom uses the same map format as Doom, but adds additional sector and linedef types. So, an editor will have a different configuration for Boom (including these extra types) from the configuration for vanilla Doom (without these additional types).

DECORATE is a language supported by ZDoom, its children ports (GZDoom, Skulltag, ScoreDoom...), and the few non-ZDoom-based ports that are ZDoom-compatible anyway (I only know of Vavoom in that category). Since it only defines new things, it can be used in the Doom, Hexen, and UDMF map formats indifferently.

However, the editor you use might not support them, or might require a special configuration. Also, if they have no DoomEd number, they won't be available at all since they require an editor number to be placed with the editor.

Uhm, I'm stupid sorry :D, I'm just new to these types of things, I use doombuilder for my maps and using Boom, and the monster is working properly. Trying to add more wont show. What exactly should I do to make them work? Cause I don't really understand what you said. And if I would need to use different sourceport, is it possible to change without remaking the map? Thanks

You're not stupid - you're new to mapping, there's a subtle difference between the two. ;-)
For the monster to work in Boom (prboom? glboom? - which are you using) it's frames must be replacing those of an existing monster. Where can I download that monster from?

Don't know which, I just start Doombuilder, new map> and there's only 1 BOOM :D I've downloaded the monster from here: Realm667 (http://www.realm667.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=blogcategory&id=38&Itemid=105) I've downloaded all the imps there are, cause I have 1 level that is called IMP's Lair, I wanted to use them there. But I only managed to work Illus which is on page 3, 3rd from bottom.

If you only have Boom available as a configuration, you need to get more the ZDoom configuration files. It's odd, Doom Builder normally comes with several ZDoom_*.cfg files. Anyway, if you don't have them, you can re-download DB or use the GZDoom configuration files.

You can change the configuration in Doom Builder. Edit -> Map Options, and change the configuration. Builder will tell you that the map might no longer work correctly, but you can safely ignore that message when going from Boom to ZDoom because none of the Boom features would be lost. (In the other direction, it could be true, if the map uses some ZDoom features they're lost in the conversion and might make the map no longer work once they're missing.)

Thank you but that partially solve my problem :) Still don't know how to put more than 1 monster.

Yeah I tried that too, with the "allow duplicates" and still nothing

Edit: Oh and a quesiton: I have downloaded a texture pack, and it contains F_SKY2 > F_SKY5 , they aren't working, what are they good for then?