Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Jeremy

Any graphics editing programs similar to the old Wintex43?

I used to use Wintex back like 7 years ago to replace sprites/ textures etc. , and now the computer it was on is dead.

I recently found and downloaded wintex43 and vbrun300, however, when I go to open a sprite to edit, I get an error message thats reads "Bad Command. Pbrush.exe".

Im looking for a program where I can load up my doom2.wad and directly edit the graphics/sprites/sounds and then save the custom wad file.

I tried messing with wad mangle and slumped, but you can't directly open the spites in a bitmap strait from the wad. I was to edit the raw files, its easier for me that way. I dont want to have to import my images, I want to simply copy paste what im working on and save the wad.

Also, a lot of the download link around these days are broken :-(

But seriously, im in the college for creative studies, becuase ive become a pretty good artist. I want to get back into editing Doom, and contribute to the community. So if anyone knows a simple, easy to use wad editer, lemme know.

Edit wintex.ini to point to the location of whatever graphics editing tool you use to edit sprites, flats and patches, instead of pbrush.exe.

Just so you know, the latest version of WinTex is 5.0.

If you want something that gives you the ability to edit entries and data in wads, consider XWE.

As for a graphics program, I'm sure there's a way to rig the Doom palette into Photoshop.

Lich said:

If you want something that gives you the ability to edit entries and data in wads, consider XWE.

As for a graphics program, I'm sure there's a way to rig the Doom palette into Photoshop.

Photoshop? use Gimp!

XWE is much more powerful than Slumped, actually, and has some of its own image editing/recolouring capabilities. The only trouble with it is that you may need to commit to only using XWE, as editing a wad's textures with both Slumped and XWE causes XWE to start garbling texture names.

Even though I never knew you, I'm happy to see the return of an eager artist! I'm sure you'll find no shortage of people who want help. If you want to be sure your work sees wide usage (and if you want a challenge) you could consider designing monster sprite sets. Our collection of edited sprites from other games is starting to lose its freshness.

Patrick Pineda said:

Photoshop? use Gimp!

Car? use a Wheelchair!

The problem with XWE is that is has some very.... fatal bugs. In other words, you can end up with no wad to speak of if XWE decides to get colicky.

XWE messing up textures is not the fault of Slumped. This is due to XWE not following the doom specs in regards to TEXTURES. When you don't follow them, bad things (like an entire TEXTURES lump keeling over and garbled rubbish replacing it) happen.

Csonicgo said:

Car? use a Wheelchair!

GIMP is definitely good software, but I need to have Photoshop installed for work. I'm just not willing to install two different software packages for the same purpose.

Lich said:

GIMP is definitely good software, but I need to have Photoshop installed for work. I'm just not willing to install two different software packages for the same purpose.

I'm not saying GIMP is "teh suck", but if I had to choose between it and Photoshop, the answer is clear.

Photoshop definitely has better support from publications, tutorials, etc. The GIMP has a few too, but they are of inferior quality. Quality plugins are ridiculously hard to find for GIMP, unlike Photoshop, which has (literally) thousands and thousands of plugins and filters.

I know many programs that can use Photoshop plugins and filters. Why can't the GIMP?

Anyways, back on topic: it's weird how there hasn't been a good solid lump editor in all the years of Doom. Every editor has weird quirks to it that could mangle your WAD into garbage.

Csonicgo said:

I'm not saying GIMP is "teh suck", but if I had to choose between it and Photoshop, the answer is clear.

Photoshop definitely has better support from publications, tutorials, etc. The GIMP has a few too, but they are of inferior quality. Quality plugins are ridiculously hard to find for GIMP, unlike Photoshop, which has (literally) thousands and thousands of plugins and filters.

I know many programs that can use Photoshop plugins and filters. Why can't the GIMP?

Agreed. I use Photoshop out of necessity more than anything because the program I do most of my creative work in is Adobe Illustrator. I would agree that Photoshop has more usefulness and better support, but I would like to see GIMP succeed.

Lich said:

Agreed. I use Photoshop out of necessity more than anything because the program I do most of my creative work in is Adobe Illustrator. I would agree that Photoshop has more usefulness and better support, but I would like to see GIMP succeed.

oh I agree with you completely on the GIMP issue. For it to succeed though, The Interface needs a complete overhaul to better match its competitors rather than trying to be its own thing. I know it's cool to be different, but when users can't find tools half of the time where they expect them to be, it gets a little irritating.

The nature of the tools need to change as well. Skewing, rotating and such are hard to do because of the way GIMP draws layers when modifying them. it's really annoying to work with that.

I started with Paint Shop, and when I did try Photoshop, I found 99% of its features useless for DOOM graphics editing, and some things weren't supported, at least directly, such as proper palette editing. I eventually dumped Paint Shop simply to avoid using a warezed program, and the GIMP has done a great job at replacing it.

Maybe for professional photographic editing something like Photoshop is very convenient, but imagine paying for that program just to edit DOOM graphics.

I'd rather use a free bicycle than an expensive or stolen car I don't really need.