Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
DooMBoy

What's Better?

Living End > Spirit World

And that inequality is supposed to mean what?

I know that The Living End was much bigger than The Spirit World, but I still don't get it....

Yeah, I pass Living End off as a hell map only because it comes after Spirit World. Otherwise I'd just call it a big cave.

True, that.

And that inequality is supposed to mean what?

I know that The Living End was much bigger than The Spirit World, but I still don't get it....

In this context, ">" means "owns". "<" means "sucks compared to".

And you don't call MAP30 a hell map?

No, I'd call it a pile of stones sitting in a cave under a nuclear waste plant.

Not by a longshot.

Not by a longshot.

When playing Living End you can see that it's a carefully planned map. When playing Spirit World, it's more like a bunch of unrelated rooms, each made by a different designer, all put together in a haste because they were running out of time.

Living End was better gameplay-wise, but Spirit world looked pretty damn good, at least in the lava rooms. I still like the cyberdemon fight at the end of living end.

The only part I liked about the Spirit World was the Spider battle in the big cave. The Living End is so much better. That map was very, very enjoyable from beginning to end. Plus, there are five levels I think of when I think "Doom 2" -- Map 1, Map 7, Map 10, Map 15, and Map 29. I dunno why, those maps just stand out in my mind.

When playing Living End you can see that it's a carefully planned map. When playing Spirit World, it's more like a bunch of unrelated rooms, each made by a different designer, all put together in a haste because they were running out of time.

Not really, but I see you hate variety so I guess you probably like E1 the best of Doom too. Eh?

It may be better planned, but it doesn't look that much like Hell to me, it's just a big, brown map (reminding me of Quake1, UGH!).

It may be better planned, but it doesn't look that much like Hell to me, it's just a big, brown map (reminding me of Quake1, UGH!).

But's it's dark, filled with catwalks over poisonous crap, and filled to the brim with growling monsters. What more could you want in a map =)

But's it's dark, filled with catwalks over poisonous crap, and filled to the brim with growling monsters. What more could you want in a map =)

The Living End IS a good map for the reasons you mentioned, but I just like The Spirit World better.

You see, I often judge a map from its looks, therefore I prefer Spririt World for its looks (and I also find the map fun to play - looks isn't everything), while Living End turn me off on the looks side - but The Living End is definitely one of my fav Doom 2 maps (I don't have many fav Doom 2 maps - most of my fav maps are from Doom1).

Plus, there are five levels I think of when I think "Doom 2" -- Map 1, Map 7, Map 10, Map 15, and Map 29. I dunno why, those maps just stand out in my mind.

1. Ditt-fucking-o
2. Those are the maps that "made" the game, IMO.

Yeah, but Map 15? I don't why why I thought of that map. It just sticks out in my mind for some reason.

Not really, but I see you hate variety so I guess you probably like E1 the best of Doom too. Eh?

No, E2.

Actually I just don't like the hell theme. I don't think it was ever implemented properly in Doom or Doom2 (With the exception of E3M2 :) ). It's just ugly.

Plus, there are five levels I think of when I think "Doom 2" -- Map 1, Map 7, Map 10, Map 15, and Map 29. I dunno why, those maps just stand out in my mind.

1. Ditt-fucking-o
2. Those are the maps that "made" the game, IMO.

MAP01 because it's the start map and, yeah
MAP07 because it's a classic battle
MAP10 because it's an example of how badly the tech theme was implemented in DOOM2
MAP15 because it's big, brown and with buildings
MAP29 because it is a big cave?

MAP01 because it's the start map and, yeah

Well, is that not enough? :)

MAP07 because it's a classic battle

Definitely. MAP07 is great.
By the way, why does AV MAP07 suck so much? It's the only AV map i didn't like so far.

MAP10 because it's an example of how badly the tech theme was implemented in DOOM2

No, it has very nice gameplay.

MAP15 because it's big, brown and with buildings

Yeah, it's ugly, but somehow memorable.

MAP29 because it is a big cave?

No, because it rules.

Also I would add MAP08. I don't know how could you people forget about it :)

Also I would add MAP08. I don't know how could you people forget about it :)

Isn't that Tricks n' Traps? I surprised myself the first time I played that map without godmode because I escaped with barely a scratch. I think the most memorable maps are:
MAP01, because its the first map
MAP11, because its the demo map
MAP20, because of the cybie-mastermind fight...its etched permanantly into my brain.
MAP27, because I somehow manage to soil myself every time I play it.
MAP29, because It's so imposing, like the atmosphere of Doom 2

I personally think the only "good" Doom2 levels are levels 4, 5, 7, 13, and 29. The rest just suck. They all seem to be just thrown together and they seem to have no real purpose. In some of the levels, the theme isn't consistent. It can go from hell to spacebase to hell again.

It's not the first time that has happened.
I've seen some posts made by DooMBoy, which are fairly decent.