Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Its about that time for my bi-annual post in Wads & Mods, indicating a new project of mine!

This one's for hexen in zdoom and is a 9-level hub taking place some time after the death of Korax. A new lesser evil, the Minotaur God, has stolen the chaos sphere from the original heroes (or possibly they gave it to it) and now rules Cronos itself. Its up to you, followers of the old heroes' legends, to defeat this monstrosity once and for all.

Mordhullet will feature:

• New weapons for each class, totaling 5 weapons each!
  • Reimplementing the Tome of Power for all weapons!
  • New artifacts!
  • New enemies!
  • New traps, including some old ones you might remember!
  • New effects!
New weapons:
  • Fighter: Blunderbuss - Shoots a wide spray of small projectiles. Uses both mana.
  • Cleric: Etheral Bow - Shoots the same as heretic's crossbow. Uses both mana.
  • Mage: Dragon Fist - Shoots a rapid-fire spray of blue projectiles. Uses Both mana.
New enemies:
  • Satyrs - Slow but deadly, attacking with both hands. Three different sizes: Normal, small, and large.
  • Stone Satyr - Behemoth of a rock monster, can summon up spikes from the earth.
  • Blood Satyr - Shoots balls of blood and gibs at you.
  • Hellrose - Evil plant that spawns brambles that follow you.
  • Alternate Death Wyvern - The Original is a pain in the ass to set up reliably, so I remade one even more deadly.
  • Minotaurs - They're back as enemies in hexen. :D
  • Athual - The Minotaur God. Big fuckin' thing.
  • Maybe more, dunno yet.
Screenshots: (in progress shots--subject to change)Due date: Hell if I know!
Help needed? Currently none other than randy and graf fixing various bugs in zdoom. Eventually I may need a musician later on down the road.

Looks nice. But please make sure it's not confusing. Messages like "lolz something has changed in one of the other 8 mapts" after pressing a switch is not really helpful :P

have you ever finished any of the projects you've started working on? :P Looks good though! :D

kristus said:

Looking good, but it sucks because you ripped resources.

Only the tree sprites and heretic weapons (as a base), nearly all of the new textures are mods of hexen textures or made from scratch.

boris said:

Looks nice. But please make sure it's not confusing. Messages like "lolz something has changed in one of the other 8 mapts" after pressing a switch is not really helpful :P

I'm not Raven. :D

Ever single shot interested me.

Are we looking at a Heretic-Hexen hybrid? That would be completely awesome. Like seriously, put a pair of serpent riders at the end of the first hub in the middle of a star-shaped structure. Haha.

EarthQuake said:

Ever single shot interested me.

Are we looking at a Heretic-Hexen hybrid? That would be completely awesome. Like seriously, put a pair of serpent riders at the end of the first hub in the middle of a star-shaped structure. Haha.

Like seriously, no.

This takes place in-between serpent rider's reigns, which were both in different dimensions anyway. Kind of like an in-betweenquel.

The boss will probably be a lot more involved than either serpent riders ever were. :3

Use3D said:

yay ravage maps. and hopefully has continued drawing.

Yup, and drawing maps or just drawing in general?

Quasar said:

Does this happen before or after Death Kings of the Dark Citadel? :)

He could use Disney's sequel strategy: During.

Quasar said:

Does this happen before or after Death Kings of the Dark Citadel? :)

At least a hundred years or more afterwards, after the original three heroes become legends and disappear from the lands. It won't be told what happened after they got the chaos sphere, whether it drove them mad, killed them, or they disappeared of their own volition. (or if it's the same one that Eidolon has, which I don't think is. would all three serpent riders have one chaos sphere or one for each?)

rf` said:

would all three serpent riders have one chaos sphere or one for each?)

I got the impression they each have one. Of course, that means D'Sparil's has never been accounted for, which gives you more story options to pursue if you desire.

Looks nice.
A question - what is supposed to be that new weapon? I can say its made from mirrored part of warriors axe but I have no idea what could it do.

NeoWorm said:

Looks nice.
A question - what is supposed to be that new weapon? I can say its made from mirrored part of warriors axe but I have no idea what could it do.

Fighter's new Blunderbuss. The three new weapons use small bits of both mana (as opposed to the superweapons using a lot of both)

NeoWorm said:

I can say its made from mirrored part of warriors axe

This is a cool idea.

rf` said:

Fighter's new Blunderbuss. The three new weapons use small bits of both mana (as opposed to the superweapons using a lot of both)

My Hexen mod also have Blunderbuss, I modified blunderbuss from Wolfen to look like classical sprite and not ugly 3D rip. Its not contered but I think it doesnt matter in Hexen.
You can find beta of my mod on ZDooM.org. Also people on ZDooM forums will surelly apreciate your mod too.

A blunderbuss doesn't seem very fitting IMO for the fighter.

All his original weapons are magical melee weapons.

Yes, there has been a bit of a Hexen/Heretic resource spree going on over there at ZDoom, with new weapons sprites, new monsters and props, I seriously recomend you check it out (shamelessly puts a link to his own stuff there too) :D

http://forum.zdoom.org/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=20941

http://forum.zdoom.org/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=16698

http://forum.zdoom.org/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=20918

http://forum.zdoom.org/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=20773

This wad looks awesome by the way!

Also, you may want to make use of PNG graphics to retain Heretic's palette so the crossbow is not so badly raped by the Hexen palette, unless you intentially made it darker,

Blunderbuss surely fits better than some kind of magical staff as new fighter weapon. Only I dont like Blunderbuss using mana as ammo, but hey who cares?

Captain Toenail said:

Also, you may want to make use of PNG graphics to retain Heretic's palette so the crossbow is not so badly raped by the Hexen palette, unless you intentially made it darker,

I edited it that way.

Captain Toenail said:

Yes, there has been a bit of a Hexen/Heretic resource spree going on over there at ZDoom, with new weapons sprites, new monsters and props, I seriously recomend you check it out (shamelessly puts a link to his own stuff there too) :D

Some of its pretty good, but I don't know if or how I'd implement some of it (like the shield or torch). I've already got a few new monsters.

NeoWorm said:

Blunderbuss surely fits better than some kind of magical staff as new fighter weapon. Only I dont like Blunderbuss using mana as ammo, but hey who cares?

Exactly! This is just a game and I didn't want to make new ammotypes. :D

I already tried to implement shield into game but its quite problematic right now. There are generaly two ways. One is to make the "shield weapon" spawn invisible hittable projectiles with very short live (1 or 2 tics) in front of player. It will work good against all projectiles and hitscan attack which will hit the fake actor before player, also it only protects player from front but it cant protect against melee. Melee monsters just ignore the fake actor and attack directly player. That makes shield quite useless. Another way is to make player Invincible when shield is put up, thats a pretty simple DECORATE code. But it will also make player invincible against any attack from behind against any natural hazards like lava etc. So it will end up with player being invincible all the time he is not attacking - and thats wrong. It can be compensated by making player unable to move when shield is up or making the shield up state limited by time or mana or something.
I hope DooMscript will bring some solution.

About torches - in GZDooM you can assign a GL light to that actor. In ZDooM you can use trick with A_Light that will rise brightness of the whole sector for tic or so when called.