Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Firewolf

Spooky House: A Co-op Horror project.

(Shamelessly edited from Skulltag forums: http://skulltag.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=14661)

http://youtube.com/watch?v=7py9I1raxdk (Orginal Teaser)
http://youtube.com/watch?v=yDaAepZovDI (Random Event)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vc-kYwnsNHc (Dynamic Music Test)

Spooky House (Real name pending) is an experimental horror wad I have been putting quite a bit of time into.
The main hook of spooky house is not to just allow players to run around in a Silent Hill-ish enviroment, but to encourage team-work and survival.

As such, this wad has no single player. Only TWO player co-op. If one of you dies, it's game over.

The project still has quite a-ways to go. But I'm working hard to make sure it's the best possible experience I can deliver.

PS: I love feedback. Most of the rooms in the wad (currently, not shown in screenshots) were edited from feedback alone. Help a editor out, eh? =p

What I've seen of this looks pretty nifty. I especially like the second-to-last screenshot, though I do have to say that the Doomguy sprite looks somewhat comedically out of place in the setting...

Looks like this has the potential to be a great game. Maybe not the type of gameplay everyone wants, but I'm a Silent Hill fan :P

I may be able to offer you a few suggestions:

1. Sometimes, have music increase in volume, then have it go DEAD QUIET. This gives the player the illusion that something is going to happen, but never does. This adds to the psycological horror factor of the Silent Hill series. (Worked on me :o)

2. New monsters are always a plus. Have the player be alerted to the monster's presence, maybe a noise or quick shadow of the monster. Keep the monster out of sight for a while. Remember, once the player sees the monster, it becomes less frightening.

3. Sudden loud noises are always good for making the player jump in his seat, but don't over do it.

Hope it helps. Keep us updated on your project.

r_rr said:

2. New monsters are always a plus. Have the player be alerted to the monster's presence, maybe a noise or quick shadow of the monster. Keep the monster out of sight for a while. Remember, once the player sees the monster, it becomes less frightening.

3. Sudden loud noises are always good for making the player jump in his seat, but don't over do it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vc-kYwnsNHc
Job's done.

:DDD Extremely well done. I would have never expected that thing to come at the player like that! And the music building up to it uses a very low frequency humm, which really sends chills down your spine. I can't wait to play this.

Looks really cool. Is it possible to make it playable in single player without sacrificing the intended coop gameplay? I just thought it might get played even more if you didn't always need a friend to play with.

TimeOfDeath said:

Looks really cool. Is it possible to make it playable in single player without sacrificing the intended coop gameplay?

I'm afraid not. Unless you enjoy the great pass-time of BOT PUSHING!

TimeOfDeath said:

I just thought it might get played even more if you didn't always need a friend to play with.

Unfortunate side effect.
Make more friends.

esselfortium said:

What I've seen of this looks pretty nifty. I especially like the second-to-last screenshot, though I do have to say that the Doomguy sprite looks somewhat comedically out of place in the setting...

Seconded. That third to last screenshot just looks silly. Make a doomguy model!

I hate to say it but your wad would be mostly impracticable because not everyone here has friends thus resulting a very unplayable wad unless you made it single player like you should.

Nightmare Doom said:

I hate to say it but your wad would be mostly impracticable because not everyone here has friends thus resulting a very unplayable wad unless you made it single player like you should.

By your logic, UDMX, 32in24, and other successful recent multiplayer releases would be completely unheard of.

Nightmare Doom said:

I hate to say it but it would be better if you didn't talk about things you didn't know about.

looks cool.
i have plenty of friends, but almost none play videogames. those who do don't play doom. looks like i'll be stuck with a bot.

The Lag said:

looks cool.
i have plenty of friends, but almost none play videogames. those who do don't play doom. looks like i'll be stuck with a bot.

heh, co-op with a bot can be very annoying. How hard is it to find 1 person to coop with? I'm sure plenty of people will be eager to try this out, me included. So there ya go xDD

r_rr said:

heh, co-op with a bot can be very annoying.

I have to actually 'aggro' the bots to get them to follow me when testing 'player walks over' lines. I could only imagine how silly this would be in the final release. =p

Looks intresting, i'm very much into horror myself. But like previous posts stated i would also recomend you make new player models aswell as try to implement single-player capability. I have always found Doom to be naturally more scary when it's just you, alone, aginst the horrors that lay ahead. This could be a very promising project.

CeeJay said:

i would also recomend you make new player models aswell as try to implement single-player capability.

Working on new player sprites. As for the single-player thing. I considered doing it as an add-on once this is finished.