Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Dgon92

Most underrated game AND overrated video games?

Danarchy said:
Instead of just shooting each other you can sit around and do some role-playing.

I wouldn't really call that socializing, as your talk is characterized and affected by the game. In games with less personal involvement chitchat might decrease, and while most is usually in regard to the game, it can more naturally be non-game-related or even personal since you aren't expected to act like you're the DOOM guy or something. You're just you playing a multiplayer game, and not Huxley the halfling thief or Wonda the half-orc witch.

Or Sh4d0w4290 the elvish noob.

I agree with what Myk said, and would add that even when you ARE playing as you, you're still just chatting about your purples and saying "Ding!"

Also, "Game addiction doesn't exist" sounds like something that tobacco companies say now and then.

myk said:

I wouldn't really call that socializing, as your talk is characterized and affected by the game...

However, a typical role playing session for me (I don't roleplay that often so I usually set aside a day for it) goes something like this:

Friends arrive - chat.
Start playing.
Have a break, a cup of tea, chat.
Resume playing.
Have a break, cup of tea, some snacks, chat.
Resume playing
Stop for a meal (communally cooked) chat.
Eat, chat.
Resume playing.
Finish playing - chat.
Go out to a movie or a club...

Definitely a social affair as well as all the fun of the game itself.

Even when I had a weekly game going, there was usually up to an hour of socializing either side of the game.

I can list a few overrated video games: Halo series, Team Fortress 2 and Left 4 Dead.

Maybe a little underrated would be Painkiller games. Good blasty fun of the visuals like Doom but the mass of monsters like Serious Sam.

Underrated: System Shock 2
This game was immensely incredible, combining both FPS action and RPG elements seamlessly. Too bad it never got the hype or popularity it honestly deserves.

Overrated: Halo
This includes the entire series. It's the same recycled garbage that everyone wants to play at their X-box parties. Crystal swords and sticky grenades. That's all it's about.

printz said:

As for MMORPGs being considered overrated by some of you: I hope it's not all subjective, out of paranoia of addiction. Game addiction doesn't exist, it's only (mental) laziness. WoW's high popularity proves that it's not overrated. :)

Excuse me, but I'd assume that to be overrated something has to be popular in the first place, or at least more popular than its quality would warrant.

And I'm not saying that MMORPGs are overrated because they're addicting, it's because they are built around such magnificent gameplay mechanics as grinding, farming, chopping wood, PKing and taking sides in some huge fight between factions and pretending that it's something greater than life while in fact you just keep fighting each other forever without either side gaining any kind of upper hand, and even if you do then the admins reset the game to default state and you just keep on going without any kind of sense of closure or meaning behind the whole fucking crap fest.

No matter what the MMORPG in question is they're going to suck anyway, because the whole idea behind the genre is to throw the player into an infinite loop where the game never ends and nothing, except e-penis, has any meaning. If you want to socialize, at least do it on some instant messenger which allows you to play tick-tack-toe if you're so afraid of going outside.

Thanks for clarifying. In fact what you described was just my point on Diablo games -- e-penis, pking, luck. Likely I contradicted myself on definitions when I defended WoW. :)

Well at least Diablo (1 and 2) has a definite ending to it, though I agree that if you take it to the extremes then those games suck too. Playing through it once on the normal difficulty can be fun, but I've never seen the point in going through the same thing so many times on different difficulty levels...if you want to add more challenging modes to your games, make them available since the beginning! Imagine if to unlock each difficulty level in Doom for each pwad you'd first have to beat it on the previous level...

What I meant on my post is not that we always just role-play, I mean that's just an example of what we do. Probably 50% of the chat has nothing to do with the game or role-playing at all. I've had good hour-long chats with people about music, politics, philosophy, pot smoking, and all sorts of things while playing WoW. Makes the grinding easier. Also, you'd be surprised at how deep you can go with role playing just using the race/class options they give you. And we don't even have to pretend we're furry dragons in disguise or Dragonball characters like those fags on the RP servers.

Enjay said:

However, a typical role playing session for me (I don't roleplay that often so I usually set aside a day for it) goes something like this:

Friends arrive - chat.
Start playing.
Have a break, a cup of tea, chat.
Resume playing.
Have a break, cup of tea, some snacks, chat.
Resume playing
Stop for a meal (communally cooked) chat.
Eat, chat.
Resume playing.
Finish playing - chat.
Go out to a movie or a club...

Definitely a social affair as well as all the fun of the game itself.

Even when I had a weekly game going, there was usually up to an hour of socializing either side of the game.

That's pretty much the same thing with my group of friends. These days we're just spread out too much and are too busy to get together IRL.

Man, I miss those days.

Most underrated: Metal Storm (NES)

Most overrated: Counter-Strike

Mr. Chris said:

Team Fortress 2

I disagree.

Dgon92 said:

Although I don't think it's overrated, because the gaming industry's getting tired of the "updated" Dynasty/Samurai Warriors releases, I still can't believe that they released THAT many games. Maybe it's popular in Japan or something, I don't know.

Gaming reviews don't mean anything to me when it comes to something being overrated or not, it's general public opinion that does.

And no, these things are being bought in the US as well, as all of them are released here too. And if they keep bringing them out over here, that means that people must like them and keep buying them, so...

More underrated games:

Indigo Prophecy/Fahrenheit
Warhawk (original PlayStation version)
Jumping Flash series
Blackthorne
Future Cop: LAPD

Patrick Pineda said:

Overrated: Contra
Underrated: Metal Slug

Fuck you Metal Slug will never be as good as contra. EVER

Underrated - Project: Snowblind, Urban Chaos: Riot Response, TimeSplitters (all of them)

Overrated - Halo (all of them), Physics Puzzle Panic Half-Life 2

Underrated: Contra Force, Shadow of the Ninja, Shadow Warrior, Blood 2
Overrated: Contra, Halo, HL2 series

Overrated: FEAR - as a horror game it sucked, setting, gameplay and story didn´t work together at all, supposedly scary scenes felt totally tagged on. Combat was really good though, it would have worked much better as an action game with only ocassionaly creepy aspects.

Underrated: Doom 3 - though the game sold really well and has a reasonably big and active fan community, it really seems to have a bad reputation. Mainly for stupid reasons like "it´s dark", "it´s not like Doom (read: Serious Sam)" or "it´s not like Half-Life 2"...

Some people mentioned Psychonauts and Planescape Torment - those games really aren´t underrated, but widely regarded as classics, and they got extremely good ratings in reviews as well. They just did not sell so well.

You all had some awesome underrated games - heretic, nightmare 3d, descent...

I also really enjoyed diablo 1, but really only played through once. And you have to be the sorceress. And it's not about getting good equipment because you can get everything you need if you know how to play the game (it's nothing like doom so I don't see why you compare them, printz).

Anyway:

Overrated: I guess WoW. I used to love MMO's, and it's funny to see people who you'd never expect getting into this one. I just feel like it has too much STUFF. But the emphasis on group play is great.

Underrated: One Must Fall

overrated: Ocarina of Time/Halo
underrated: Landstalker/Phantasy Star III

and a few points:
the best mmorpg was early Ashen Empires a.k.a. Dransik. Best PVP ever (amongst numerous in-depth tradeskills and good role-playing.)Towns weren't safezones because there were no safezones (although the NPC guards were strong, they could be overwhelmed by the skilled -- so no fear of being thrown in jail.)
It was a whole lot of fun and the emphasis was on skill. Only the skilled survived. There was even one point in which the most powerful PK guild claimed ownership over a plot of land that included the dungeon where the best equipment dropped--at a time when very few players had even heard of this equipment. They managed to control this area for months -- the other players had to pay a hefty tax to enter, while naked so as to show no threat. This lasted until the entire remaining population of the server had to disband their guilds and band together to oust them, The Dark Legion.
Of course, while this all made the game incredibly fun for us -- it didn't last since it was a very "tough" world with no safezones so new players were chased away and the rest of us eventually got bored.
...and that's my opinion of mmorpg's: they should be developed to be as fun as possible for the short-term (up to a couple of years) and then it's time to move on to another one.

now to short points:

1. Ehrgeiz rocks
2. Having played most jrpg's since the first (Dragon Warrior) up until the release of FF7... I LOVED final fantasy VII and still do.
My two favorite jrpg-type games though are: shining force 2 and phantasy star IV

TheCyberMastermind said:

underrated - GTA IV
overrated - Saints row 2

I've never played saints row 2, but GTA 4 sucked. It's got great visuals and overloaded with content which you'd think would make it a great game, but the truth of the matter is I simply get bored of playing it soooo quickly. Both GTA 1 and 2 were strictly fast paced arcade games with high scores and explosions left and right. GTA 3 was fairly close to that same style, but not so much anymore. GTA Vice City and San Andreas were spinoffs. GTA 4 is undoubtedly 300% more slower than it's predecessors which really bothered the hell outta me.

Everytime I watch someone play it I get interested. I want to like it, I really do. But the game just sucks.

EDIT: I don't think we have quite enough people to declare that Halo is overrated yet [/sarcasm]

Underrated: ROTT (I'll second a lot of others that I saw though, like Blood)
Overrated: Half-Life 2. The first time through was great... just never felt compelled to go back and do it again.

According to this thread:

Underrated: Ocarina of Time, Finished the thing more than 4 times including master levels. The other zeldas are probably overrated.

Overrated: World of Warcraft, GTAIV,III,etc.