Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
40oz

Monster walking on ceiling

Is it possible to make a monster, either in dehacked or in decorate that crawls only on ceilings, and not the floor? I saw a player skin of Alien and it's sprite was drawn upside down so that it appeared to be climbing on the ceiling instead of on the floor (I assume this only looked good with short ceilings)

I think that would be a pretty cool monster to fight, however it would need to be placed carefully on a map so it doesn't meander onto a sky texture.

I take it you haven't played Strife? It has a little spider-like robot (a stalker I think) that crawls on the ceiling and can drop off then walk on the floor. It is a bit limited as to how it can move on the ceiling (eg changes in ceiling height limit where it can go) but it does walk on the ceiling.

yeah, but to do it in dehacked you'd really need two things. One for the ceiling walking. And one for the falling down attacking you walk.

But it should work fine to make a monster that hangs from ceiling. Then when you get close it self kills and ejects another thing as a projectile and falls down on you and munch you up like a tick.

Should work even in dehacked.

I was thinking strictly on the ceiling. I'm imagining an imp crawling on all fours on the ceiling like spiderman. When you kill it it drops to the floor. Obviously ceiling height differences can limit where it goes.

And no I've never actually played strife.

You cannot make hanging typical monsters in Dehacked, not even static ones. They'll automatically slide to your height, or fall. But you can try the CPosRefire codepointer to bring the monster into a continuous attack sequence only when it sees you, and thus never use the walking frames.

printz: You're right. How stupid of me to forget.
Yeah, the hangs from ceiling flag only makes it spawn in the ceiling. It doesn't constrict them to it.
I don't know why I didn't already think about that since I've used it many times to make things fall down on 3d floors in Legacy.

Oh, but you actually can! But as I said, not "typical". They may only be static turrets that fire as long as they see you.

How to: make a monster hang from ceiling, no gravity and mass 10000000. The "floats" bit must be cleared, otherwise the monster will slide to target's height. Replace its walking frames, except the first, with CPosRefire frames. The first one will have a FaceTarget pointer. Make them lead straight into the attacking frames. When a monster like that sees you, it'll enter a firing cycle. If you go out of sight, so will it stop firing. The drawback is that they'll never go back to their standby frames, so after the target's dead, they'll enter a passive state. You can prevent this by not placing any other attackers in the area and also by denying cooperative play, so the turrets are always on you.