Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
jute

Blasphemer 0.0.3 released!

Here's a new release of Blasphemer! You can get it here: http://www.jeshimoth.com/jutegyte/blasphemer/ (apologies for the atrocious web design)

Improvements since 0.0.2:
All flats replaced
Many more walls replaced
More sounds and sprites replaced
New fonts
Status bar replaced
More sound effects

As always, we'd love your contributions. With all the flats and most of the walls and scenery replaced, mapping is definitely possible.

Some screenshots I took with the gamma too high:

I still think "Heathen" would be a better name: it'd keep with the H-something scheme. :P

Mek, Essel: Thanks to both of your for the fonts and the textures! They look great and add a lot to the game.

I'm really surprised at how far this has come in such a short time. Plus it looks good, to boot. :D

AgentSpork said:

I'm really surprised at how far this has come in such a short time. Plus it looks good, to boot. :D

Heretic only has 4 wall textures, so it's not going to take as long as freedoom.

Fiend said:

Heretic only has 4 wall textures, so it's not going to take as long as freedoom.

Oh ho! I would have never seen that joke coming. The main thing with projects like these isn't making the textures, it's coming up with decent looking sprites and sound effects. Oh, and maps. Despite the fact that the community is filled to the brim with talented mappers, nobody ever seems to want to help projects like these out.

Does this mean that you, a talented mapper indeed, DO want to help us out?

jute said:

Does this mean that you, a talented mapper indeed, DO want to help us out?

I'd be more than willing to submit a couple of maps.

That would be great! As the first post describes, there should be more than enough to work with: flats are finished, and a lot of walls and scenery sprites are complete, as are most if not all pickup sprites. Blasphemer also includes textures beyond Heretic replacements, which should give you a more diverse palette.

jute said:

That would be great! As the first post describes, there should be more than enough to work with: flats are finished, and a lot of walls and scenery sprites are complete, as are most if not all pickup sprites. Blasphemer also includes textures beyond Heretic replacements, which should give you a more diverse palette.

Are you looking for Vanilla compatible old-school style?

The aim is port-neutral limit-removing, so you don't need to worry about VPOs or anything.

The map I made for the Heretic Treasure Chest is free for anyone to use as long as credit is given. If I make any more Heretic maps, they will also be free for you guys to use.

Edit: Wait, I'd have to retexture it since it uses the custom texture wad that was part of the project. Here's the map anyway. Hopefully ler doesn't mind.

Snarboo, thanks for the contribution! I saw in the Treasure Chest thread that you mentioned that you'd need to retexture it with vanilla textures, but just so you know, Blasphemer includes additional textures beyond vanilla replacements, so you're not quite so limited.

I'm seriously considering contributing a map. I actually have a Heretic map that I started working on a while back that I could probably finish and contribute to the project. :D

Been rather busy the past week, though I've been checking on this thread. Jute said most of the things I would have, but there are a couple comments I'll address.

@ Gez: Eh. I'm not really fond of "Heathen", it doesn't sound 'vehement' enough to my ear. I think at this point the title's pretty well set in, anyways.

@ leilei, I'll take pimping out the statbar under advisement for the future, but at the moment other things in the project are higher on my priority list than wrangling more with that thing.

@ Snarboo & AgentSpork: both of those look like nice maps that would be good to have in the project. Do bear in mind that like Jute said, there are some (well, quite a few really) extra textures in the Blasphemer IWAD that don't exist in Heretic, so make sure to check them out if you're making a map for the project. Also, if there's some particular type of texture or variant on a texture that you really want for your map that isn't in there, feel free to suggest it to me and if it seems reasonable I can try to make one.

@ Captain Red: Is the comment on the gargoyle statue meant to be positive, negative or indifferent? "Bulldog" wasn't consciously on my mind when I put together that sprite, but I can see the resemblance. It's meant to look like a guardian beast of some sort, at any rate.

Stilgar said:

@ Snarboo & AgentSpork: both of those look like nice maps that would be good to have in the project.

Hey thanks. :)

Also, if there's some particular type of texture or variant on a texture that you really want for your map that isn't in there, feel free to suggest it to me and if it seems reasonable I can try to make one.

The only kind of textures I would like to see that don't exist in Heretic are more "outdoor" textures. Things such as rock walls, moss covered cliffs, grass and so on. More wood variations might also be good. There doesn't need to be a whole lot of new textures added, though, but more variation would be nice.

That is the biggest problem with my map right now: a lot of the map is covered in custom textures, and Heretic has very few textures that I like that can pick up the slack.

@ Snarboo: Grass and wood extras are already in thanks to Esselfortium's texture pack--check if those suit your needs in those departments. Rock isn't too hard to do for the most part--I have a few laid out already that I can work in. Mossy cliffs, I can try.

I meant to post this a while back but never got the chance. It was made with the Blasphemer resources, but I don't know if it's what you'll be looking for. I'm not completely happy with it and it'll need to be tweaked down the road, but that probably goes without saying.

EDIT: Removed the link. Just noticed a couple really big bugs that slipped under that radar after one of my last-minute changes.

Disclaimer: There's an area I meant to be a library that didn't end up looking much like a library when I realized there were no bookshelf textures. I was also never able to resolve some sound-blocking linedefs I was having trouble with, so some monsters are alert before they should be. Hopefully someone will figure out what I did wrong there.

Ryathaen: Looks like a fairly good start, though in some parts the sameness and squareness of the corridors make me feel like I'm in a Wolfenstein maze. The "room" parts seem reasonably nice, though.

Don't despair about the library--bookshelf and other-stuff-shelf textures are something I've wanted to put in from the beginning, I just haven't got around to making them yet. Also, the banners are separate patches from the background walls, so if you want banners on a different wall texture that might be more fitting, it's as easy as my adding an entry in the texture layout lump.

If you want to submit it, I can insert the current version of the map into the next release; do you have a slot you might prefer?

I've retextured my map with Heretic's defaults, and it should now be be playable in vanilla Heretic. Here it is.

You'll note that I made some pretty odd texture choices in places, but I intend to use some of Blasphemer's textures at a later date. I felt it was more important for the map to be ready for the project rather than having to wait for it.

While the map is on E1M3, map slot isn't important to me, so please place it where you feel necessary.

Edit:
ZDoom is reporting that there are still some unknown textures, so I have more work to do.

I think it'd be better to make a whole new game in the Heretic/Hexen universe rather than this. I find this a waste of hard work, and it's a pity as the sprites look decent.

Vegeta said:

I think it'd be better to make a whole new game in the Heretic/Hexen universe rather than this. I find this a waste of hard work, and it's a pity as the sprites look decent.

Nobody's stopping you from using those sprites and textures for a Heretic or Hexen mod.

Those first 2 screenshots seriously look like Shadowgate 3D.

I wonder if I could adapt Shadowgate Castle to this.