Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
jute

Blasphemer 0.0.3 released!

Gez said:

Nobody's stopping you from using those sprites and textures for a Heretic or Hexen mod.

But the textures have a limited use as they try to replicate the originals. Same happens with some of the sprites. If the great skill and work used to make them was used to create totally different graphics it'd be more useful IMO.

There are many extra textures that do not replicate the original. Also, even the "same" textures are different enough to offer some variation.

Vegeta said:

But the textures have a limited use as they try to replicate the originals.

I think you'll find as the project progresses that this is not the case.

Stilgar said:

Ryathaen: Looks like a fairly good start, though in some parts the sameness and squareness of the corridors make me feel like I'm in a Wolfenstein maze.

That was always my biggest concern.

Also, the banners are separate patches from the background walls, so if you want banners on a different wall texture that might be more fitting, it's as easy as my adding an entry in the texture layout lump.

I'm not really all that attached to most of the texture choices. I was just working with what I had at the time, which was the 0.0.2 release. I'll definitely change things around as time goes on, and especially as new resources are added.

If you want to submit it, I can insert the current version of the map into the next release; do you have a slot you might prefer?

I pictured it being late in an episode. An M6 or 7. Maybe E2M7.

Vegeta said:

I think it'd be better to make a whole new game in the Heretic/Hexen universe rather than this.

This statement highly offends me because it is putting down on originality and encourages derivative works of existing commercial franchises.

leileilol said:

This statement highly offends me because it is putting down on originality and encourages derivative works of existing commercial franchises.

QFT

A friendly reminder to those submitting maps: for maximum port compatibility, be sure to check that all the texture names in your map are valid under the Blasphemer texture set. The most common manifestation I'm seeing is STARTAN texture names, presumably being included by default settings in the map editor. ZDoom bypasses this error with only a warning to the console and an error texture if the affected walls are visible, but it's possible that other ports might be more strict.

To clear up any confusion on theme, this project is not meant to take place in the Heretic/Hexen universe but in one of its own, the general vibe of which is hopefully indicated at to some degree by the included story file. Some of the textures and a couple items may be similar but the design of most weapons, monsters and some of the artifacts are planned to be quite divergent, only playing on the same "game rules" so to speak.

Yeah, I experienced problems with DB doing that when I started working on my Heretic project. DB doesn't actually report those as bugs (at least not for me) and will ignore any missing textures. I had to use DETH to find them all and fix it.

To try and make life a little easier for mappers I've created a config file for Doom Builder (OK - I'll confess - it's a modified heretic.cfg) which includes the re-named item pickups. Let me know if I've missed or messed-up anything.

BTW - I noticed my automap lumps so popular it appears twice, not that I'm complaining.

leileilol said:

I'm glad to offend you. I think there's more place to creativity in a whole new game (ok perhaps not related to Heretic/Hexen games) rather than making a clone of one. I know not all the graphics are replicas, but many of the textures on these shots are, and everything behaves as in vanilla Heretic. New behaviors is more creative than using existing ones.
The idea to make users able to play the few Heretic wads available without having the game, doesn't attract me as a whole new game on its own, that later can have it's own mods. That has a lot more creative value for me than a free Heretic.

This argument makes complete sense, considering that each and every resource is an exact, pixel-perfect replica of Heretic and there are no plans to include original maps, content, or creativity of any sort.

...oh wait

@OP: I am going to risk being hated by the DW community and say - I like the way this project is going, and really can't wait until it's done, or at least a little more usable like FreeDoom. ;) It definitely seems like you're going a little bit more for originality than some of the other people are giving you credit for.

NeoWorm said:

Has anone tought about how should player look like?

Loosely like the figure on the right side of the status bar, however that doesn't quite match what I had in mind, for one thing it's a bit beefier than I'd intend the player to be, something I might amend when I work on that again.

This is what I wrote for the weapon graphics specs in regards to the player's appearance... largely focused on what the arms/hands would be like:
The player's character might have either black gloves or bare hands that would be a bit aged looking and/or tattooed, like Hexen's mage--whichever seems to look best. If much of the arm shows (in punching or such) he'd be wearing black studded/spiked leather bracers sort of like these -- http://www.kultofathena.com/product~item~200856~name~Swordsman+Leather+Bracers.htm
Maybe with spikes in place of rounded studs, but only small ones, no huge nails sticking out or anything. The right hand would be wearing a ring with a golden jewel--perhaps with a face or some other emblem in the jewel. The character's physique would be about like Hexen's cleric--no huge muscles but not too scrawny either.

Additionally, stuff I had in mind include:
- Helmet/pauldrons as per the status bar figure.
- Leather armor on the torso. Possibly with a player-color insignia emblazoned on the chest if it looks good.
- Either a player-color cape, or player-color shirt under the armor. The cape may be better for being more visible.
- Not carrying anything in his hands. Attack would be extending the fist (like a punch) and for the lit up portion the hand would be open and glowing.
- Probably black or brown pants. Boots, either armor ones or at least tough-looking.

Here's the "Frost Fang". Please tell me if you guys already have certain projectiles and other effects made.

EDIT: Look below

I hold the way I used to make the "recoil" works out in game.

Ezxariarch said:

Here's the "Frost Fang". Please tell me if you guys already have certain projectiles and other effects made.

Thanks! It looks pro-style and awesome. I like how your interpretation came out. I've put it in-game, the recoil seems to be okay. Do be aware that the Blasphemer palette is a little different from Heretic's--I think the sprites converted okay, but if you want to look I'll post up how they came out.

The only FX/projectile sprites that have been replaced so far are the elvenwand unpowered blasts and the lava balls from the volcano hazard (sans smoke).

Here's the .gif version of the palette as available from the latest release package (there's also a GIMP version in the release if you use that.)

Main difference in effect here is the blues going to whitish instead of cyan (more like the way Doom's blues are.) There are a few other differences that you may notice, as well.

Dah crap, its missing all the Neon blue colors. D: It looks a lot like Hexen's pallete.

EDIT: Btw, i updated the Frostfang to fist the recoil perspective problems (and some tidying up). It SHOULD look a little better now.

Does anyone know of a map editor that allows for line searching? Some of the custom textures I used in my Treasure Chest map are still on a few lines on my Blasphemer map, as reported by ZDoom's console, but they aren't on any visible lines that I could see in the 3D editor, leading me to believe they are from leftover lines or in weird places, such as the backside of a double-sided line.

I use Slade, but it lacks such a feature, making it is a huge pain finding those lines that have the missing textures on them.

edit: Also that rules, Eriance. :D

Snarboo, have you tried using DoomBuilder's "Find and Replace" feature?

@Snarboo: I'm pretty sure DoomBuilder can find lines by their number. Is that what your looking for? You can also filter by texture names too I believe.

*edit* Ah, jute beat me to it :p. BTW, nice sprites Eriance!

jute said:

Snarboo, have you tried using DoomBuilder's "Find and Replace" feature?

Thanks, that worked. :)

Here is a bug-fixed version of my map that should have all missing textures replaced.

SoulPriestess said:

@OP: I am going to risk being hated by the DW community and say - I like the way this project is going, and really can't wait until it's done, or at least a little more usable like FreeDoom. ;) It definitely seems like you're going a little bit more for originality than some of the other people are giving you credit for.

o_O Huh? Hated by...who and for what reason?

Ezxariarch said:

Dah crap, its missing all the Neon blue colors. D: It looks a lot like Hexen's pallete.

EDIT: Btw, i updated the Frostfang to fist the recoil perspective problems (and some tidying up). It SHOULD look a little better now.

Sorry! Guess the new palette should have been made clearer beforehand. The Hexenishness is intentional for the most part, although some colors have been tweaked in other directions as well.

I'll insert the tweaked frames soon, unless you intended to make your own adjustments to the palette instead of relying on the conversions of these?

Snarboo said:

Here is a bug-fixed version of my map that should have all missing textures replaced.

Thanks! It's been added. What shall I put for the map's title?

Stilgar said:

Thanks! It's been added. What shall I put for the map's title?

How about Forgotten Stronghold? That was the theme I had in mind while I was working on it.

Snarboo said:

Forgotten Stronghold?

Is that the best you got? I can make a better mapname than that.