Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Pure Hellspawn

Looking for Rocket Jumping Levels

I have been getting into Rocket Jumping and I am looking for "courses" (WADS) where I can practice rocket jumping. Examples Include Rocket Jumping Extreme, Rocket Jump Void, and Rocket Jump Space. Please list them all; I would love to practice!

Also, how can I jump a wall (provided that I have infinite rockets and health)?

I also found an interesting megawad where you can go through obstacle courses by jumping. Very interesting.

Heh, I was going to mention mine, but it seems you've already been there done that (although it's "Rocket Space Jumping"). ;)

There is also another I did called "Rocket Jump City", a 3-level practice wad where each level was harder than the next (and green, blue, and red-themed). If you haven't played it, I can host it for you.

The only other ones (talking about ZDaemon ones) are TimeOfDeath's rjsloth and Morrison's masterjumps. Nestea (Nes) made a really short and difficult one, and a few other people have done some not-that-great ones.

About jumping a solid single wall with no corners, you could travel pretty high up (past 4096 units), but it's impossible to keep going indefinitely without something to bounce off of. Eventually your shots will move you further and further away from the wall, no matter what angle they are. You will most likely need to do a super jump (using two rockets) to begin the jump with so you gain enough speed and height, and after you have started scaling the wall, you need to precisely line up your shots so that you stay flush with the wall and not touching it.

It was my first rocket jumping wad, so don't expect too much. It was pretty fun until the difficulty started diminishing, and people starting making more intense rocket jump wads. I think I started on Rocket Space Jumping a bit after I saw TimeOfDeath's rjsloth, and really wanted to make something worth marvelling at. Too bad I never got around to finishing it.

Anyways, here ya go:
http://www.filesavr.com/rjcity

The text file mentions a fourth map, but I never got around to doing it.

Ah, yes, I took a stab at starting a color-coded standard for determining the difficulty of certain jumps.

Green is easy, blue is medium, red is hard, brown is expert/special, and white is special. In RJ City, there are also letters in each arrow: L is long jump, H is high jump, D is double high jump, and S (which I don't think I used) is super jump. In Rocket Space Jumping, I did away with the letters and brown arrows, introduced X's for super jumps, and used hollow arrows for jumps that are optional.

Oh, and I determined which color to label each arrow based on units of measurement and lots of testing. The only jump that is impossible using standards means is the brown long jump in map03. I don't think it's possible to simply long jump. You need to do a standing super jump and launch yourself across there.

Well, I made it to the "Expert" level (I find most longs and single wall jumps easy but the double jumps are killing me! Also, that one red H near the brown H is hard! (though I made the brown one).

Yeah, double jumps are hard, especially when you don't have a corner to do it in.

One of the hardest jumps for me in that map is the one just around the corner where the two brown H's are. You need to not only get enough height, but enough momentum so that when you shoot your second rocket near the top to send you over the edge, it doesn't push you backwards.

Unfortunately, a standing super jump can help you overcome any of the jumps in RJ City. I made this wad before TimeOfDeath discovered how to do them, though. Rocket Space Jumping makes liberal use of them though.

the 'basic' rj wad is probably rjumpq. it's 9 maps covering all the standard easy-to-intermediate techniques and ideas. the design is well thought and the jumps are usually 'themed'. easily the best training wad, but becomes trivial once you learn advanced jumps, eg. superjump.

eq mentioned rjcity... that one is beginner stuff, also fairly old.

rjump_n1 is very short, mostly intermediate jumps.

rjsloth3a is timeofdeath's old wad, before the 'invention' of superjumps that cheapened the difficulty a bit. still, it's a HUGE map and it's HARD. mostly because it's unforgiving - there are long series of jumps requiring almost full possible length and if you fail one, you're returned to the beginning of the sequence. by the way, rjump_n1 looks like a short demo of this one.

rjspace... hail to the king, baby. definitely the best rj wad there is. it's complex, with jumps ranging from easy to insane... it's as hard as you let it to be. it's also modern, so it includes hard superjumps and wall climbing and has plasma jumps and bfg flying. eq is simply the man. :) the latest version is rjspace9f where timeofdeath tied some loose ends.

masterjumps are what the name says, beginners won't get past first jump. some jumps are purely hellish and morrison's crazy ideas leave you just blinking, asking if it's not just a joke or a bad dream. :) if i'm up to date, masterjumps9 is the latest version and it contains 9 maps of let's say increasing difficulty, although map06 easily takes the cake with it's 20000 units high plasma jumps navigated by constant checking of the z-axis value.

rjsur4c is the work of guys from SUR clan. these south americans were really rj-oriented guys and although it's just 4 maps, it's definitely advanced-to-hard difficulty. it plays a bit like masterjumps meet rjumpq.

oh and then there's timeofdeath's rjsloth revamp, aka rjsloth11 map10. it's off the scale. it makes adult men cry like little incontinent girls... timeofdeath is the only person who ever finished it, i kid you not. it's like a torture device, you gotta have years of practice to even move from the start.

i have to admit i didn't know void and extreme. also, there was an 'oldschool' rocketjumping wad that had to be completed without mouselook... i forgot the name, timeofdeath should know it. oh and most of the wads are linked here

EarthQuake said:

About jumping a solid single wall with no corners, you could travel pretty high up (past 4096 units), but it's impossible to keep going indefinitely without something to bounce off of. Eventually your shots will move you further and further away from the wall, no matter what angle they are. You will most likely need to do a super jump (using two rockets) to begin the jump with so you gain enough speed and height, and after you have started scaling the wall, you need to precisely line up your shots so that you stay flush with the wall and not touching it.

Hm. I'm used to rocket jumping on Skulltag with air control, and climbing a flat wall was never any problem.

Pretty much all wads mentioned here are designed with ZDaemon physics in mind. This includes no air control at all, which makes advanced trick jumps really something to admire.

And this includes the rocket launcher, right? I was able to beat Advanced with the Plasma Rifle (which I got in intermediate).

How did TimeOfDeath manage to beat that level anyways? It looks IMPOSSIBLE.

Well, RJ City is cake compared to say, Sloth or RJSpace. I'm sure map03 is not a challenge at all for TOD. And he doesn't need no stinkin plasma rifle either. ;)

Heh, and by the way, I started working on Rocket Space Jumping again. Someone is going to be enthralled.

EarthQuake said:

Well, RJ City is cake compared to say, Sloth or RJSpace. I'm sure map03 is not a challenge at all for TOD. And he doesn't need no stinkin plasma rifle either. ;)

Heh, and by the way, I started working on Rocket Space Jumping again. Someone is going to be enthralled.

I know City is easy. What I wonder is how he managed to beat RJSloth (the huge void skyscraper like level where you have to go to the top and hit the switch). THAT is the map that looks IMPOSSIBLE (and probably is).

Nah, even I've beat rjsloth, and I'm no where as great as TOD. In fact, I think that was the map where I did most of my learning/practicing. I was trying to do super jumps one day using the platforms, and I had an epiphany and figured out how to pull them off almost every time. Hahaha, I think I cried. The exit is the hardest part by far, but I've been able to get up there several times. If I tried playing it today, it would probably be so much easier, as now I can super jump off of any surface if it's big enough.

I couldn't get past the first jump!! I know a little how about rocket jumping (able to do MOST of RJCity with only rocket launcher). I saw the demo of that level being beat, and what like to know how such jumps are performed.

I would love seeing instructions on how to perform those jumps, or a tutorial level that prints out the instructions on how to do the jumps.

Okay. There are five types of jumps:

Long Jumps, where the goal is to achieve the most distance. These are done by straferunning so enough momentum is accumulated. What's tricky about these is that when you reach the edge or spot where you want to jump, you have to place the rocket just to the left or right of where you will be leaving the platform you're on. This is done, so that the explosion doesn't cancel out your velocity, and adds to it instead. Because of this, it's sometimes hard to reach your destination head on. You have to practice with your angles.

High Jumps, where the goal is to attain the most height. Straferunning is not required here, and in fact, you can walk forward, rocket jump, and still travel forward if you have enough momentum. You can go up to about 400 units using a standard high jump. The key to a perfect high jump is timing and making sure you look as far down as possible before you jump.

Backward Jumps, as like long jumps, are for achieving long distances but with more precision and distance. Unfortunately, since you can't see where the edges are, it's easy to back off of a ledge without having done anything. A backward jump can also be used for short-distance jumps where you need a lot of precision.

Those are the most basic, and usually only require one rocket. The others will always require multiple rockets:

Double Jumps, where the goal is to bank off other walls in order to travel long distances, great heights, or both. In a double jump, as a player travels across a wall, additional rockets serve as an extra boost, but more than two rockets can be used, contrary to the name of the jump.

Super Jumps, are jumps that require two or more rockets to explode in one location. If you walk over a ledge and see a platform below, you can super jump off of that platform by firing a rocket at the platform, dropping down to the platform, running to where your first rocket was fired to, and rocket jumping when that rocket explodes. Super jumps can also be done without a platform. These are called Standing Super Jumps, and are initiated with a stationary backward jump. As soon as you backward jump, spin around, fire a rocket at a spot on the ground, and when you land, rocket jump off that point. You can go great distances using this method, and when combined with wall banking, you can SOAR. We're talking heights of 4000-6000.

Mega Jumps are just super jumps that require three or more rockets. The heights and distances you can attain here can be phenomenal. Sometimes, you will have two targets, one where you start a super jump, and another where the super jump takes you. Basically, you shoot two rockets, one at each target. Four rockets total. I've only seen one of these done before, and it was definitely not me. Took the guy a while to get the timing right, but when it finally happened, I swear he flew so high up he hit the ceiling. In RJSloth.

Oh, and a bit about banking: banking is most effective when you are traveling through the air with great momentum. If you are close enough to a wall, you can place shots below and/or behind you in the opposite direction you are heading. This will give you an additional boost as long as the rocket explosion adds to your velocity (speed and direction) and doesn't cancel it out. Also, touching a wall or ceiling will slow you down in most cases, so you have to make sure when banking, you don't actually touch the wall. It just takes practice.

Ok.

So with the long jump, running and looking down, shooting and then immediately jumping will not work? Strafing = better distance?

I have been able to double jump basic walls (I beat the basic rjumpq.wad levels EXCEPT for level 9), but I CANNOT superjump (I am unable to get anywhere in wads like masterjumps or rjsloth).

Sounds what you're decribing is a high jump. Which can be used for long jumps, but it's not optimal. Straferunning will probably give you 3 or 4 times the distance.

Also, are you using ZDaemon?

Well, hate to break this to you, but some jumps might not be possible in Skulltag or ZDoom. That wad was designed for ZDaemon physics in mind. Afaik, it's impossible to make a rocket jumping wad that is cross-compatible. Either one port will be too easy, or one will be too hard, if not impossible to finish. Of course, I don't do my testing in ZDoom, so I'm not sure what things are possible there.

Also, no mouse? How in the hell? Are you using the touchpad or anything? Because seriously... heh, how in the hell. If you can finish sloth without a mouse, heh, you are the new RJ Doomgod.

The only mouse that I have is the touchpad, which I just began using (as of when you wrote the previous message - trying to train). There is one level I really want to play called Rocket Jump Extreme (it's a megawad with lots of nice features).

EDIT: Borrowed a friends mouse and was able to beat some of the rjumpq levels. Cool!

Also, I think Skulltag is a tad easier than ZDaemon. I tested both ports on rjumpq.wad and was able to beat them with Skulltag. In fact, one of the things that got me interested was the level being played on IDESE.

I tested rocket jumping on skulltag with 0 aircontrol and the compatibility flag compat_limited_airmovement set to true, but still it seemed like superjumps are impossible as the impact force from 1 or more rockets seems to be pretty much the same always. (not additive or something like in zdaemon). This makes super jumps impossible. :(

umm and if it interests anyone, I made a rjump map recently rjrandom_v3
it's nothing too hard though, maybe more suited to beginners. (Though it can get a bit harder at times) possibly not TOD-proof. :p

Oh my fucking GOD. Words cannot describe how epicly awesome your wad is. A randomly-generated rocket jumping level with a seed, that works for ZDaemon?! Ultra-mad, super-fucking, indescribable godly props. You are my God.

Wow, didn't know there where rocket jumping levels for Doom! Thanks EarthQuake and Worst. I now know who to blame when I get little to no sleep tonight.

I remeber some rocket jumping levels in TFC and if rocket jumping in doom is any thing like that..I might have to make a rj level. I dont know if any one has played them but I'm wondering if there is a way to make a cronc and trimp style levels in doom.

If you dont know what cronc jumping or trip jumping is go here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RKUz2KL3xTo&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zx4Tzin80sU&feature=related

Yeah, it's sort of like that. Trimping, however, seems to be a thing that would rely more on accelerative properties of motion. ZDoom and Skulltag would be better suited to that. On the other hand, the really high and insane jumps aren't quite as possible unless you're using ZDaemon. Super jumping, from what I've been told, just doesn't work in Skulltag. I tried it for myself and I couldn't seem to pull off anything substantial either.

If you're going to start rocket jumping in Doom, you have several options really. The big factor is the type of physics you prefer. ZDoom 2.0 (ZDoom and Skulltag) will give you a more controllable and fluid Quake-like feel, as where ZDoom 1.2 (ZDaemon and Odamex) will give you a more difficult, yet predictable and consistent feel. I've been informed that several types of techniques are not possible using the 2.0 physics, and then likewise with 1.2 physics. Personally, I would go with the older engine physics. There is just something really awesome about soaring 5000 units into the sky using just a single wall. :)

Most of the rocket jumping wads I've played were on ZDaemon, so I haven't really practiced in Skulltag that much. It seems a lot harder to be able to do what I want to do, and the maps aren't really that great to practice on (no offense to anyone). They just don't provide enough variety and tend to be very linear. Some ZDaemon rocket jump wads are like this too, so watch out for that as well. I recommend TimeOfDeath's Sloth, Morrison's Master Jumps, Marine and Dessico's Rocket Jumping, and shamelessly, Rocket Space Jumping. The best maps are the ones made by the best rocket jumpers. :D

What port would I use to give the player a lot of air control? Lets say I I have a platform with a wall on the end and the next platform is behind the wall. The player hast to rocket jump to the left or right then while in the air "swing" around to the other side of the wall onto the other platform. Basically making a c in the air.

EarthQuake said:

Trimping, however, seems to be a thing that would rely more on accelerative properties of motion.

That and timing. There are some levels in TFC and Fortress Forever that are dedicated to trimping. I have only played a couple on ff and they can get crazy hard. Doing crap like trimping off a ramp into square hole in a wall just big enough for you to fit in. But you have to duck at the right moment. Since ducking makes you start to fall faster. Not to mention that these jumps has no walls so if you miss you have to start all over and the levels have 15 to 25 jumps on them.