Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
t.v.

how do I edit the text messages after 'quit game'?

After you end Doom some (cynical) messages appear asking you if you are sure. I looked for them with Whacked2, but cannot find the strings. Can these messages be modiified with an DEH?

I'm no expert, but i'm sure you have to edit the source code or something to change those, but hey, what do i know? I'm a mapper, not a coder.

They appear in totally another place in the exe, than the text strings you see in Dehacked. Hopefully with a .deh the Text #### block works, but since the string appears before the usual text table, I'm not really sure.

If your mod is Zdoom specific, those strings were made available for editing (which they aren't normally) and all available strings can (or certainly used to be - it's a while since I used DEH patches) be added to a DEH patch for Zdoom.

I think most any advanced port can edit the quit game messages.

I know that ZDoom, Doomsday and Risen3d can for instance.

They can normally edited with Dehacked. But for ZDoom using the LANGUAGE lump is certainly preferable.

Funny thing I remember the Doom and Doom 2 quit message appearing all together. Or were the Doom 2 ones added for the v1.666 release?

They added them into the same array of string pointers. If you're in DOOM 2 mode, it adds a base amount to the message number to get to the DOOM 2 messages.

Mr. Chris said:

Speaking of the quit messages, it would be interesting if someone implemented the pre-distribution quit messages into the game.

I'm sure that some ports had them, at least for a while.

I successfully changed them. Indeed the Doom1 messages also appear from time to time.

I had to put the modified 'language' lump in a separate wad file, because zdoom refused to boot after I modified the original zdoom.pk3. Funny because I could have sworn it worked earlier.

oh well it works :-)

Doom 1 has different messages than Doom 2? I guess I never noticed as I manage to press Y immediately after going to quit game.