Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Manc

MancuNET Upgrading

I have decided to go back into dedicated managed hosting, and as such I have set up a new server with serverbeach. The setup and migration process has begun, and I will have everything complete within 1 week from today. There will be an up to 48 hour downtime window from the 9-11th in order to transfer last minute stuff (like subversion repositories, databases, domains, etc). Once all is said and done this will mean MancuNET is back to how it was a year ago, on dedicated 100mbit service with the ability to upgrade and manage services directly. (did someone say subversion 1.5?)

If you have a MancuNET account, you would help me out greatly by removing anything non-critical (i.e. not part of your website) temporarily in the next couple days. I will be transferring files and accounts over, but anything that can be done to easy the burden would be greatly appreciated, and you can think of this as a great opportunity to back up your stuff.

I can be contacted via email and google talk at fuzztooth@gmail.com.

EDIT: Yes passwords will be reset, yes there will be a user control panel to handle changing passwords and doing other things. yourself.

I am not sure you'll really SEE a difference necessarily, but it will be faster and the 500 errors will stop. Plus it'll be running newer version software, and I'll have complete control over pretty much everything. The only rule is no irc-related stuff. Again it's what mancunet was before I moved, but some things were broken on my last server from them software wise (entirely my doing). Hopefully things will go smoother this time.

Mancubus II said:

I am not sure you'll really SEE a difference necessarily, but it will be faster and the 500 errors will stop. Plus it'll be running newer version software, and I'll have complete control over pretty much everything. The only rule is no irc-related stuff. Again it's what mancunet was before I moved, but some things were broken on my last server from them software wise (entirely my doing). Hopefully things will go smoother this time.

IRC related stuff? Like what?

I think he means he's not allowed to run an IRC server on it. Kind of an odd rule if you ask me; I could think of a million things that would be worse than that :P

Probably paranoia from the hosting provider that IRC servers are often havens for piracy (and other illegal activities)...

Quasar said:

I think he means he's not allowed to run an IRC server on it. Kind of an odd rule if you ask me; I could think of a million things that would be worse than that :P

Lots of service providers ban anything IRC related (servers, bots, clients) because it can attract all kinds of undesirable things. Illegal material is one. Another is that it potentially makes the servers targets for script kiddies or denial of service attacks. I know someone who had their internet connection flooded just because they were using a nickname on EFnet that somebody else wanted.

Basically, there are loads of really stupid people on IRC and running a server, a bot, or even just a client can be a magnet for them.

i'm on it (the backing up first). Good thing I put the non-important crap in the crap folders for ease of the burden.

fraggle said:

Lots of service providers ban anything IRC related (servers, bots, clients) because it can attract all kinds of undesirable things. Illegal material is one. Another is that it potentially makes the servers targets for script kiddies or denial of service attacks. I know someone who had their internet connection flooded just because they were using a nickname on EFnet that somebody else wanted.

Basically, there are loads of really stupid people on IRC and running a server, a bot, or even just a client can be a magnet for them.

If this becomes a trend, will it not kill IRC entirely?

Quasar said:

It's on the downturn anyway. As fraggle correctly stated I am not allowed to run any irc server or client traffic of any kind. Pretty much anything else is allowed. fraggle has already listed the reasons why. I do wish I could run irc clients for remote irc goodness, but that doesn't erally kill irc. There ARE ways to properly run irc servers. These days there's little incentive to running your own irc server, but it would be nice to do clienty things.

Quasar said:

It's fairly safe because it's decentralised: because there are many different networks, it's always possible to move to another network. There are various networks that have been forced offline or even disappeared entirely because of denial of service attacks directed at their servers. See this article about DALnet, for example.

my part's done, jeez i think i weeded out at least 3GB of stuff, impulse uploading is a nasty habit (especially when you use MSN and that is always buggy with file sending)

Glad to hear. Hopefully you won't have to make any more large migrations any time soon. :S