Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
VeinCrawler

Death Incarnate in beta

Yay, my first (released) map is "done". It took me almost a year, but I have a beta version. I've played this map like a gazillion times, so I tend to overlook bugs, and I get tired of it. Anyone interested in giving it a try?

keywords: multiple never-finished maps stitched together (so might give a bohemian rhapsody feel), lots of monsters, lots of secrets, relatively large.

Download here:
http://files.filefront.com/deathinczip/;13217196;/fileinfo.html

Sneak preview:

All comments are welcome! Thanks a bunch in advance!

Sorry 'bout the double post.

Just had a play through this. I thought it was quite excellent. A great amount of details, good enemy and ammo placement (there was some spots where I ran out of ammo and beserked a couple guys, but I found some ammo shortly after, so no worries) and I thought the gameplay was good. There were quite a lot of secrets, like you said, and I think I found 9 of them. :P

There was only one thing that I noticed, but even that wasn't too major (sorry about the size of the picture): Misalingment. It's linedef 3681 (near the start, just before the staircase beside the "super secret").

Anyway, good stuff. :)

Is this a once and for all type deal or can we expect to see more maps from you in the future? I believe you are quite possibly my new favorite mapper.

This is actually a really impressive map, regardless of whether or not it's a first release.

Agreed, it's quite impressive.

Should jumping be on or off? Please specify in the text file. There are a few spots where I'm very tempted to but I'm not sure I should.

Great maps, good look.

But by looking at the thread title, i'm thinking of some custom monster on Realm667, Death Incarnate (Black Revenant, has to be killed 2-3 times before literal death), but then I could be wrong on the monster,

Thanks for testing Dreadopp. I'll fix the misalignment.

Thanks for the praise. Yes, there will be more maps in the future, but probably not as ambitious as Death Incarnate. I love to play big maps, but love to make small, snack-sized maps, in which I can put a few ideas, try out some things, and then move on. The '1024' series would be perfect for me, if I would only have enough time :)

In Death Incarnate I tried to experiment with non-orthogonal building styles (hence the big hall with the 45deg curve in the middle, and the pentagonal room) but this costs me loads of time.

And Jumping should be off, I'll add that in the textfile, thanks. Indeed, if jumping would be allowed, you could easily jump over the two lava pits in the 45deg hall, ruining the puzzle.

More bugs?

I have to echo everyone else's sentiments here. This is a really impressive map!

There's lots of height variation, areas are interconnected in interesting ways, creative use of lifts, it's very nonlinear...I also see you're making use of some visual techniques that a lot of experienced mappers don't seem to bother with. While I could go off and be nitpicky about some visual things (I'll spare you), this is still one of the most interesting maps I've played in quite a while. Great work!

I can tell from the screenshots that it's infinitely better than my first attempt at Doom mapping, that's for sure! I'm going give this a play since everyone seems to really be enjoying it.

Wow, getting positive response from such established mappers means a lot! Thanks! Well then, I'll just go on and release the thing!

And well disabling jumping... I could do that. On the other hand, I expect that people play this level fair because they like playing Doom levels. If they don't then that's their choice (in other words, I'm too lazy to get into that kind of thing)

@Essel: Thanks for the positive comments on creative elevator usage and visual techniques. Can you elaborate on that a little bit? Which elevators and techniques did you specifically like? I could learn from that a lot!