Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Skeletor

The End - What Will It Be?

What will be the cause of the end?  

61 members have voted

1. 1. What will be the cause of the end?

• Nuclear War
    • Massive Natural Disaster
    • Biological/Chemical War
    • Mass Suicide from an Existential Crisis because society is too advanced in all areas of life and survival is no longer a concern for anyone.
    • Zombie

What sort of air particals/particels/particles - the stuff we're pumping into the atmosphere that contributes to Global Dimming? If the days following the 9/11 attacks (when the airlines were grounded) are any guide, their destruction would be a mixed blessing.

Joshy said:

Actually the atmosphere is mostly of nitrogen. :P

Ah...I was thinking it was either hydrogen or nitrogen...couldn't remember which one. Anyway, my point still stands. That theory is old and busted.

Danarchy said:

Ah...I was thinking it was either hydrogen or nitrogen...couldn't remember which one. Anyway, my point still stands. That theory is old and busted.

You were close, in a way. Hydrogen is the most abundant element in the universe, actually.

MasterOFDeath said:

You were close, in a way. Hydrogen is the most abundant element in the universe, actually.

Probably what I was thinking of.

The world will end like this:

Someone will arbitrarily set a day that the world will end. This has already happened many times since recorded history. On that day, everyone will freak out because the world is going to end, when in fact it doesn't. And on that day, anarchy will erupt, millions will be killed, and many many lives will be changed.

And after that, many will realize the world did in fact end, on that day, not because of a nuclear war, a natural disaster, or many other end-of-the-world scenarios, but because someone predicted the day the world would end, and that's when people thought, "ah well, who cares? The world's gonna end anyway."

Natural selection operates on humans much less now. No predators, and medicine, means almost everyone survives to reproduce with the exception of an occasional fatal incurable condition, regardless of any genetic inheritable mutations individuals might have in their dna. The vast majority of mutations are harmful/unfit and we accumulate these without selection (evolution is the mass search algorithm that finds the few mutations that happen to be more fit). I'd imagine sexual selection still works and genes that cause you to reproduce more/faster still get selected though. We could genetically degenerate this way somehow. Though memetic theory could mean a replicator beyond genes continues to evolve our brains somehow. We may 'evolve' in some new way with technology instead of genetically, like manipulating dna code or artificial intelligence (singularity/ transhumanism/ kurzweil).
The natural world that evolved on earth is quite brutal (watch the agony of an animal eaten by pseudo-penis having female hyenas while its alive on that monkey entertainment medium called youtube for a daily glimpse). But I'm pretty sure I think humans decrease 'biohappiness', net happiness of all earth life forms. Before, there were meaningful natural patterns, brutal but beautiful/organic ecosystems co-operating as a whole. Now there's specie-selfish monkeys in control destroying all the patterns and domesticating the other species and putting them in evil factory farms.
I guess I root for machines to take over if possible. They might be free from the 'red in tooth and claw' deeply coded into the fabric of our biology and might not need to eat other living things to sustain themselves like we do. And since they could probably share information so easily, they might behave as a single being (instead of humans with separate brains who are thus more prone to disagreements/war, and an inability to agree to use all their physical mass/bodies to massively cooperate on single goals). I'm not sure if machines would have a 'purpose' though, like gene replication is for us.
Humans as a group are retarded, or at least those with power probably, and I suspect if they try population control it will only be a massively stupid version like concentration camp type stuff (like 'fema camps' mentioned in some conspiracy theories-- I still don't know whether those are mentally replicated untrue dogma like religion or if they carry truth).

Well, my opinion on theories like that is, decide for yourself if it makes sense or not. I think it does make sense, as we will reach the point where there's too many people on the planet and not enough food/water etc. to sustain them all (and naturally, the people with all the power will be the ones to take action, just like the directors of a business will start cutting jobs if the company is facing huge losses). But I think a global food crisis will emerge (which will prune away all of the poor people) before any form of manual depopulation. (and when the latter begins it'll be stuff that appears natural, like a disease outbreak etc.)

Danarchy said:

Hey man, don't even confuse McDonalds with Dick's, the best burger stand in Seattle.

Danarchy, you live in Seattle!? Yeah, Dick's is awesome. I always get special, with fries, and sometimes with a vanilla shake.

Anyways, let's hope we can create warp drive soon. I think theoretically it's possible, we just don't know how to create and get in/out of a warp bubble. Read: Alcubierre Drive

Skeletor said:

Danarchy, you live in Seattle!? Yeah, Dick's is awesome. I always get special, with fries, and sometimes with a vanilla shake.

I live in Bremerton. A friend of mine took me to Dick's when I spent the night at her place since she lives a few blocks away. I just had a burger but I was amazed by speed, not to mention the price and quality.

What will cause the end of humans? Death. Pure death, nothing elaborate or anything. Hopefully quick. Second option is Zombies.

Maybe we're already zombies. These things don't have to happen over-night - what if it's a gradual process spanning years with subtle changes we haven't noticed? I blame Monsanto!

Actually, I think the end of humans will be about the best thing to happen to Earth.