Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Lich

Very, very small suggestions for DB2

Adobe Illustrator has a nice feature in its input boxes where you can enter simple math to calculate values. It'd be nice to have something similar to this in DB2 so that when you're, say, adjusting a light level or floor height, you can enter 128+512 in the box and when the field is unfocused, the result of 640 pops into the box. As a person who uses DB a lot with calc.exe open, it'd be pretty useful.

This is less useful when you consider that you can add 512 to the height of a floor/ceiling by typing ++512 in its height box. No need to calculate the target value.

Creaphis said:

This is less useful when you consider that you can add 512 to the height of a floor/ceiling by typing ++512 in its height box. No need to calculate the target value.

Thanks, dude. I didn't realize that was the syntax I needed to use!

Yeah, I'm not sure it's mentioned anywhere in the documentation. I had to find out about that from a second-hand source.

In Doom Builder 2 these input controls all seem to be standard textboxes, whereas in Doom Builder 1 they were spinners with 8/16 unit increments. Will this be changed in the future? I really miss being able to make changes with a couple of clicks rather than having to type a value each time.

I also think they should be fixed :-S. Textbox with helper buttons is better than bare textbox. I already hate MSPaint for that stupid Edit Colors dialog box with no spinner buttons, whereas previous incarnations of that same dialog had them... I cannot finetune numbers with ease, without spinnerbuttons.

printz said:

I also think they should be fixed :-S. Textbox with helper buttons is better than bare textbox. I already hate MSPaint for that stupid Edit Colors dialog box with no spinner buttons, whereas previous incarnations of that same dialog had them... I cannot finetune numbers with ease, without spinnerbuttons.

A bit late reply, but what about hotkeys? I find the "spinner buttons" incredibly inconvenient compared to using hotkeys. In fact I usually use the GUI dialog only when I need finer granularity than 8 or 16.

Often when there are no spinner buttons programmers forget about hotkeys as well (I'm referring to the dialogbox interface not 3d view). Not that I'm specifically blaming CodeImp for anything. Fortunately 3d view has a way of letting slow incremention.

That ++ or -- stuff saved a lot of time after I found out about it. Also useful would be multiply/divide, like ** or *= or // or whatever. For example, in one map I made an illusion of a giant switch by using multiple sectors in close proximity and textured like a switch. It is 2048 pixels tall I think, but with a multiply/divide I could multiply all the floors by .25 then use resize at .25 (or any value) to make the switch any size I want of the same proportions with no tedious work of figuring how much to ++ to each sector individually.

I don't understand why light levels in particular aren't spinners, as the engine only steps up in 8 unit increments anyway.

Normally an advanced port should be able to gauge a light level for any number from total black to no diminishing.

Jonathan said:

I don't understand why light levels in particular aren't spinners, as the engine only steps up in 8 unit increments anyway.

Doom uses increments of 16. Eternity uses increments of 8. ZDoom uses increments of 1.

Gez said:

Doom uses increments of 16. Eternity uses increments of 8. ZDoom uses increments of 1.

Well, it could be controlled by the game configuration then, but the point still stands that an incrementing spinner would be useful.

I have a very small suggestion also for DB2: make it so it doesn't freeze my computer.

I use vista btw.

Butts said:

I have a very small suggestion also for DB2: make it so it doesn't freeze my computer.

I use vista btw.

Some Vista users have problems with Doom Builder and some don't.
It's a really weird case, but i think DB2 will work in Vista without problems.

I don't know if this is possible, or if its worth while doing... but what about overlaying pictures on your map so you can draw over them?

Lets say you wanted to put a complex effigy in to the ground, it would be nice to just have a drawing to trace right?

hopefully this isn't a redundant suggestion.

Is this a general request thread for DB2? Sorry if it isn't, but anyway: I'll like it if Doom Builder 2 doesn't delete textures set to linedefs hidden in the floor or ceiling every time a new sector is created next to them.

I don't know if it is or not either, but I just don't like making new threads if I can find a mostly relevant one to post in. :P Anyways,

I was tinkering around with the latest build of DB2 (at least I think it was the latest one) And I noticed something that would be very useful. Is there any way we can select two lines and then use the curve function to treat them as one line? Oh well.