Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
PhaDeDoUT

New to DOOM and Hexen WAD stuff, lookin for some help!

i just recently bought Doom, Heretic, Hexen and some other 3-d shooters from a friend of mine. Looking on the net i discovered new levels and WADS and such. I have no idea how to use them or get them to run. If anyone could leave brief instructions, or a web page to look for a faq/tutorial it would be appreciated. Maybe some programs i should have too. Thanks for any help.

Not a bad place to start,go to Doomworld FAQ and download 'Ledmeister' it gives you a list and description of all Doom/Doom2 command line parameters.Basically if you want to add external wads you do it from the MSDOS prompt if you're running Windows95/98/ME.e.g. you would type in:
CD\DOOM2 [press enter]
DOOM2 -FILE wadname.wad [press enter]
This is presuming your DOOM2 is in a directory called DOOM2 and not a sub-directory.Anyway read more in 'Ledmeister'it explains more clearly.

Or you could just DL Doom95 *cough* fucking piece of shit *cough*, ZDoom (maybe ZDoom launcher 26a), or perhaps the easiest and most organized frontend of all, the MyDoom Frontend (compliments of King Elvis).

...or perhaps the easiest and most organized frontend of all, the MyDoom Frontend (compliments of King Elvis).

Cool, it seems that people finally recognize what it was meant to be :)

Frontends are for losers. Dos Prompt is for winners!

Huahhhhhhhh :)

Golden rule: Do nothing what others could do for you.

BUT TO ANSWER THE POOR DUDE'S QUESTION...

Doom levels are transferred in the .wad format. Not only can a single wad store levels, but also music, textures, sounds, all the fun stuff, which is pretty efficient to keep it in a single file (unlike Duke3D's helltacular loose formats).

So you have a Doom wad in a zip. Unzip the wad to your Doom directory. Open up a command prompt and go to that directory. Now type:

doom -file whatever.wad

Obviously a Doom 2 wad won't play with Doom, and a Hexen wad won't play with Heretic. Make sure you don't mix them up.

Demos kick ass too, you might want to watch a few of them. They come in the .lmp format and using them is almost identical.

doom -playdemo whatever

NOTE that you don't use the .lmp extension when you tell Doom to play a demo.

It would be easier to use a front end, although I would strongly recommend you stay the hell away from Doom95 (it's übergay).

If you want to try out a Source Port I would suggest wither ZDoom or Legacy, they're pretty easy for beginners to pick up and play. If you're into GL you might be interested in JDoom, although it can be a bit tricky to get to behave.

Good luck, have fun. =)