Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
TheCyberMastermind

What is so bad about Doom: Rampage edition?

Tedious as hell gameplay involving way too many enemies with way too much health, poor level design, dumb out of place music, and the fact that the author had his head completely up his ass. That pretty much covers it.

RottKing said:

Tedious as hell gameplay involving way too many enemies with way too much health, poor level design, dumb out of place music, and the fact that the author had his head completely up his ass. That pretty much covers it.

But what do you mean "too many enemies"?

Pretty much anything you could name: level design, textures, sprites, sounds, gameplay. Everything.

Now, it might not be the absolute worst mod of all time, but for what it was supposed to be, it compares well with Daikatana: massively hyped, filled with bad design decisions and backed by an egotistical designer.

Plus the original release was bloated with hilariously inappropriate and illegal MP3s.

I disagree with RottKing in regards to "too many enemies".
There should have been way more enemies, but with significantly less health. In no way should it take 200 + rounds to bring down a human being.

Sonikku7 said:

I disagree with RottKing in regards to "too many enemies".
There should have been way more enemies, but with significantly less health. In no way should it take 200 + rounds to bring down a human being.

That's right, like they're made from metal. That's annoying in my opinion. Humans can die just from ONE bullet in real life, but in games it's not like it, because the game wouldn't be fun. DRE just takes it to another level, where everybody can die from tons of bullets, heck, i don't even know how they can walk with this amount of bullets in their bodies.

It was boring, that's the worst part imo. People often go on and on about "WELL IT MAY LOOK BAD BUT AT LEAST IT WAS FUN!", not here. Actually I have a sudden urge to play it right now.

Actually, since the player's a baron, a human ought to die from like two shots.

I've never played Rampage Edition because I couldn't find it, due to it being taken off for stolen content. That's IMO its worst fail. I know someone has uploaded a legal version, but after hearing all this negativity and, more importantly, seeing how the player DOESN'T really look like a monster (there are only human hands with drawn fire, and also marine weapons!) I don't think I'm going to bother.

BTW: I played Daikatana. I didn't get too far though because I still found it buggy. But otherwise when I got it I was completely unaware of its bad publicity and was so convinced what a cool find it was. And it played pretty fine, and I liked that it was by Romero, because I could see stuff from Wolf, Doom & Quake 1 in it: status bar face, quitting messages... OK maybe the sidekicks weren't so good...

A much better version of a mod where you can play as a Baron (or other monsters) is here:

http://forum.zdoom.org/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=17215&hilit=Hell%27s+Empathy

It's called Hell's Empathy. Challenge yourself by playing as an Imp with only 60 hits or a Demon with a simple bite attack or play through those massive arenas as a Spider Mastermind or Cyberdemon.

DRE fails. Badly. It even won the Worst WAD Cacoaward back in 2004.

The author's ego kind of speaks for itself on this one. Before DRE came about, he released a bunch of sub-par deathmatch levels for Legacy and ZDoom, which often included pictures of himself plastered on the walls, and you would die instantly if you tried to shoot him in the face at all. Of course, that would lead to a lot of unintended suicides, since his face was plastered in every nook and cranny of every single map. :P

TheCyberMastermind said:

So what is so bad about it?

Being able to download and play it.

Pure Hellspawn said:

This is the worst wad ever:

http://www.doomworld.com/idgames/index.php?id=13423

It's like the skulltag version of WOW.wad.

The fact that it uses little skulltag resources demerits its value, but it's got a working icon of sin in there. Honestly I don't really know how to make a working icon of sin, however, I never tried either.

JohnnyRancid said:

The fact that it uses little skulltag resources demerits its value, but it's got a working icon of sin in there. Honestly I don't really know how to make a working icon of sin, however, I never tried either.

To make a working Icon, you pretty much need to put two things in the map.

The first part is the "bosseye". This is where the spawn cubes come from. Obviously, the more of these that are in a level, the more spawn cubes you'll get per round (of it shooting). These are generally unshootable, invisible, and you can walk through them. This is an essential part of a working Icon of Sin.

The second part is the "bosstarget". This is where the spawn cubes land. You can place the bosstargets wherever you want, but place them in an area where an arachnotron can fit, because that's the biggest monster it can spawn. This is also essential. From what I remember, the order the icon spits them at are the order they are put in the map.

The third part is the "bossbrain". Obviously this is the part of the boss you need to kill. Normally it comes with 250 hitpoints, but this can be modified in Dehacked or DECORATE. I've seen a version with 50,000 hitpoints. When it dies, the level is complete. This is not essential.

The final optional part is the walls (ZZZFACE) textures. These are simply textures that were meant to resemble the Icon of Sin itself (the head is just it's brain). It's optional.

Anyways, concerning DRE, I think that the concept of being a baron and slaying the humans is not bad, but that's pretty much it. The execution (mainly the illegal MP3s but also the high hp of the humans), and the author's mouth are what contributed to the Cacoward in 2004.

AgentSpork said:

The author's ego kind of speaks for itself on this one. Before DRE came about, he released a bunch of sub-par deathmatch levels for Legacy and ZDoom, which often included pictures of himself plastered on the walls, and you would die instantly if you tried to shoot him in the face at all. Of course, that would lead to a lot of unintended suicides, since his face was plastered in every nook and cranny of every single map. :P

Sounds like a real vain arse (the author)

caco_killer said:

DRE is kinda fun if you edit the WAD in an editor and cut all the enemies' health in half.

Just double the attack power of your weapons then. Saves time. Oh, and remove the illegal stuff too.

Pure Hellspawn said:

Just double the attack power of your weapons then. Saves time. Oh, and remove the illegal stuff too.

You can save even more time by not playing it.

esselfortium said:

You can save even more time by not playing it.

Agreed. It's not the worst (just look at the wad file I presented), but it's the 2nd worst. Don't play it!! But what I was saying was if cutting the humans health in half makes it fun, just double the power of your weapons.