Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
TheCyberMastermind

What is better? PSX or PC version.

Recommended Posts

Randomly applied coloured lighting and excessively fuzzy and echoey sound effects are no substitute for fully detailed (ahem) levels and a full compliment of monsters.

PC!

Share this post


Link to post

PSX Doom has a better soundtrack, I'd say, as well as better controls (I just can't use a keyboard). But the soundtrack isn't as bad as I originally thought it was, and I now use a Playstation controller to play Doom anyways.

So yeah, PC version gets my vote.

Share this post


Link to post
Enjay said:

Randomly applied coloured lighting and excessively fuzzy and echoey sound effects are no substitute for fully detailed (ahem) levels and a full compliment of monsters.

i disagree
colored lighting is the best
id take colored lighting over uncrippled madness any day
go psx doom! you're the best doom ever!

Share this post


Link to post

I like them both but for me the PC version is best. The PSX version is a great atmospheric mod and back in the day I'd say it was the best official *port* to a console. Doom on XBox Live is about as faithful to the PC as one can get.

Now... DOOM 64. That is a whole 'nother gem I have recently discovered thanks to some recent polishing.

Kaiser said:

*sigh

You'll show them won't you! I hope something official and stable is released soon...

Share this post


Link to post

-The psx:
Cons: has shitty sounds (all sound the same, and has too much echo), fucked up maps, lacks some monsters, has a boring soundtrack (it may be cool for a first time, but quickly turns boring and nothing beats the entertaining music from the Pc). Doesn't include some of the maps.

Pros: has some unique levels.

Has colored lights, and nightmare spectre but I don't like them.

-The pc version
Cons: Doesn't include the Psx unique maps.
Pro: The maps are more detailed, has more kinds of monsters, better sountrack, better sound fx, better multiplayer, it's more mod friendly. Basically it's better in everything. You can make it look and play like the PSX.

Verdict: Pc version wins.

Share this post


Link to post

Personally, playing psxdoom always felt more nostalgic than the PC version.. probably because the console ports were the first versions of doom I played.

Share this post


Link to post

Let's not forget the PC's biggest advantage: USER CREATED CONTENT.

Share this post


Link to post

PSX Doom was corny. It was basically a terrible medium between PC Doom and Doom64. Doom64 was far more suited for the new soundfx, and it used textures that were all essentially the same color, and thus colored lighting was needed for giving it it's ambience.

Share this post


Link to post

It depends on what you mean by "PC" Doom. If you mean the latest port with full 3D, high-res textures, replacement music, and models for objects and creatures, then yes, PC Doom wins. Of course, you might as well ask which is better: NES Mario or the latest Wii Mario game.

If you mean the original DOS Doom for the 386/486, then PSX Doom kicks the shit out of it. Again, the comparison really isn't fair. So in the end, the original question is nonsense.

Share this post


Link to post
Chilly Willy said:

If you mean the original DOS Doom for the 386/486, then PSX Doom kicks the shit out of it.

No it doesn't.

Share this post


Link to post
Chilly Willy said:

NES Mario or the latest Wii Mario game.

And the answer would be NES Mario, right? ;)

Chilly Willy said:

If you mean the original DOS Doom for the 386/486, then PSX Doom kicks the shit out of it.

Because of the fact that even the original DOS version has more detail in the levels, more monster types, is more controllable, is more moddable and has (IMO) better sounds and music, the shit kicking is the other way around.

Don't get me wrong, I think that the PSX version is probably the best port/conversion/whatever of the original game but the PC version is significantly better than it IMO. I don't include D64 in that because, IMO, it's a different game.

Share this post


Link to post

This is a stupid question ever. *sigh*

PSX has some better than PC, but...
I hate play FPS games on console.
It made controlling like stuck at shit for me. :(
After some frustrations about that, I still prefer play FPS games with keyboard/mouse+keyboard.

With controller? No, take that **** away from me! :p

(Don't blame me, just my stupid thinking. :) )

Share this post


Link to post
Vegeta said:

-The psx:
Cons: has shitty sounds (all sound the same, and has too much echo), fucked up maps, lacks some monsters, has a boring soundtrack (it may be cool for a first time, but quickly turns boring and nothing beats the entertaining music from the Pc). Doesn't include some of the maps.

Pros: has some unique levels.

Has colored lights, and nightmare spectre but I don't like them.

-The pc version
Cons: Doesn't include the Psx unique maps.
Pro: The maps are more detailed, has more kinds of monsters, better sountrack, better sound fx, better multiplayer, it's more mod friendly. Basically it's better in everything. You can make it look and play like the PSX.

Verdict: Pc version wins.


The psx version only lacks the arch ville, which is an annoying enemy! And the new maps are awesome!

Share this post


Link to post
playerlin said:

This is a stupid question ever. *sigh*

PSX has some better than PC, but...
I hate play FPS games on console.
It made controlling like stuck at shit for me. :(
After some frustrations about that, I still prefer play FPS games with keyboard/mouse+keyboard.

With controller? No, take that **** away from me! :p

(Don't blame me, just my stupid thinking. :) )


How is it stupid?
Don't be disrespectful! :(

Share this post


Link to post

There are actually three questions there.

1. Is the PC (even of the era) better than the PSX for games such as Doom?
2. Is the (original, unmodified) gameplay experience from PC Doom better than that from PSX Doom?
3. Is the (overall, including moddability and ports) experience from PC Doom better than that form PSX Doom?

On the first part, since Doom was originally meant to be played with arrow keys for both direction and movement (rather than mouse for direction and keys for movement as is the norm now), I could give it a tie for the PSX controller.
The second part is more a question of opinion. Coming to the PSX version from the PC, the rooms look bare and wrong (especially when textures were changed so as to have a smaller texture set). Coming from the PSX to the PC, the loss of colored lighting might be a disappointment. In my opinion the colored lighting was more gimmicky than really needed (Club Doom being the ultimate example of such gimmickry), and things such as putting a chaingunner and a pain elemental in E1M1 seemed very wrong to me, ruining the thematic progression and the gameplay progression. More thought was put in the PC version.
The third part is a clear win to the PC, no debate possible. The simple fact that you can play PSX Doom on the PC automatically makes the PC version at least as good as the PSX version...

Share this post


Link to post

PC Doom all the way. Console Dooms, except for Doom 64, are not that impressive. Besides, there are several mods that make the PC Doom look like the PS/N64 Dooms anyways. The extensibility of the PC version automatically makes it the winner.

Share this post


Link to post

I payed 600 bucks or so for an psx when it came out, just to be able to play an pimped game from 1993 on it.I didn't give an rats ass about all the other games on that shelf, I just wanted to have doom nothing else.I bought psx doom an few days before I bought the console, my love for the game goes deep...very deep.

Psx Doom and Psx Final Doom are fun games, but it can't beat pc doom.

Share this post


Link to post
TheCyberMastermind said:

The psx version only lacks the arch ville, which is an annoying enemy! And the new maps are awesome!


The arch-vile is part of the fun equation. Every monster is. Including the hell knight, which is practically a baron at half hp. Without them, DOOM would not be the great game it is.

Share this post


Link to post
dutch devil said:

I bought psx doom an few days before I bought the console...


I too bought PSX Doom before I owned the hardware to play it on and I still have a D64 cart but no N64 to play it on.

Share this post


Link to post

Pure Hellspawn said:
Without them, DOOM would not be the great game it is.

DOOM II, you mean, and I agree. DOOM is the great game it is, without them.

Share this post


Link to post

Ah Doom for the PSX was pretty basic. I remember playing a Doom 2 demo from a demo disc a long time ago, it had wicked music.

Any way to nick the non-midi soundtrack from the PSX version?

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×