Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
KuriKai

Startan series what are they?

doomworld, I have a problem.
I do not know what these textures are made out of

Are they made out of brick, metal or some weird plastic?

I always thought of them as some sort of concrete with bits of machinery in them, but I am weird like that. Whatever it is, it makes a great texture. Suspended in Dusk <3

I always figured they were some kind of futuristic metal with a touch of rubbertasticness. Soft metal I suppose, but of the low grade, given the streaks and color distortions they retain.

Looks like metal with rounded, beveled panels to me. Note the bullet "dents" in some of them. It would most likely have to be some sort of metal for the bullets not to go through them. And it's probably not some sort of stone material, because the dents are uniform and don't appear to crumble the wall upon impact.

More likely metal than plastic - for it's UV-resistance and lack of flammability - pre-formed in a machine press and anodised in a range of colours. Apart from corrosion resistance, quality of finish probably wasn't a consideration.

Definitely a synthetic material IMO. I've always seen it as something like the panels you see on the internals of space ships and space stations in the movies. Something like these from the Millennium Falcon (the better pics are from a mock-up in an exhibition).

Makes sense for a futuristic moonbase IMO.

Possibly some kind of press-formed sheet metal with a plastic/synthetic coating of some sort. I can go for that.

I would have to go with pressed sheet metal, with a rubbery or plastic coating to make it more tactile. It could also be some sort of fancy future material, as yet undiscovered which has properties of both metals and plastics.

Sheetrock walls that have been made out of different shapes and sizes of sheetrock put together like a puzzle. Also added some texture and paint so that it looks like a brick or stone wall. The machinery is put into electric boxes that have been mounted in the finished sheetrock wall.

You can do all of that with sheetrock. Since its cheap, easy to make, I bet the UAC would use it.

I think Enjay probably portrayed it the best.

I always thought they are metallic. The surface looks like metal, not like some sort of plastic. Though that Star Wars set pieces Enjay posted could be definitely an inspiration for that style.

BTW, "Startan" is only the name of the tan variation of the texture, or not? I think the abbreviation stands for starport, or maybe for starship.

Tetzlaff said:

BTW, "Startan" is only the name of the tan variation of the texture, or not? I think the abbreviation stands for starport, or maybe for starship.

Yeah. STARTAN for TAN, STARBR for BRown, STARG for Green, and STARGR for GRey. So, no relationship with the famous Martian city state of Starta, the first to fell to the demon hordes during the first invasion, long before the UAC's time. (The inhabitants were all devoured alive. Allegedly, the demon mastermind had previously said to his troops, "tonight, we dine in Starta!")

Personally I've always just called the entire series "startan" regardless of race, creed, or color, since it better lends itself to pronunciation as a word than "starg" and whatnot, and it works better in casual usage than "STAR* textures". :p

It's worth to mention that Quake3 got a similar texture. Though in it's case it's an obvious polished metal.

I've always considered it some kind of stone/concrete/cast/plaster though.

I think they look like some sort of matte type metal panel...similar to Enjay's interpretation but more metallic.

Thanks for all your replies guys. most people think it's a metal texture. so I will go with that

kristus: which texture? I can't seem to find it

I always believed they were some kind of semi-flimsy almagam of fiberglass, metal, plastic, and/or carbon-fiber. Call it metaplast, or fibermetal, or carbonwall or something like that. It never looked entirely or purely metal to me though, and the star-wars walls do look strikingly similar (though they look almost purely plastic, being that they probably are).

Having worked in a few artificial environments (offshore oil platforms) it isn't unusual for walls in living spaces to be made of metal but they are almost always covered with things to make them more acceptable and "pleasant" to live in. Some form of plasticised coating is not unusual. Such walls are usually pretty flimsy pressed sheet metal of some sort.

In the more industrial areas of the platform, metal walls are usually painted. However, that has as much to do with protecting them as it does with their aesthetic nature given that the walls in such areas are usually steel and would rust. The paint also provides colour coding for different areas etc.

Only in very specific areas, eg the galley, would you tend to find exposed stainless steel and, even there, it is usually just the working surfaces and utilities rather than the walls that are made from exposed metal.

I'm betting the original inspiration was plastic-like, from the Star Wars and Alien movies, but a more metal-like appearance is more convincing in DOOM.

I'm trying to imagine what the International Space Station would look like if it was assembled from pre-fabricated concrete sections - like oversized sewer pipes. The space shuttle would most likely blow up on it's launchpad trying to lift them into orbit. :D