Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
TheeXile

Marine's Last Stand

Hello everyone. After probably more than a decade of absence, I've arsed myself to get back into doom editing to try out a few fun ideas I've been meaning to get around to doing for awhile.

This is my first "official" release, so please be kind. It's a slaughter map, but with a catch: You have to survive for 30 minutes before the exit opens. I'm trying out a variety of new ideas here, so I'm eager to know how it turns out. Here, I'll just quote from the text file:

Title : Marine's Last Stand v1
Filename(s) : MLS.wad, MLS_gfx.wad
Release date : February 9, 2009
Author : TheeXile
Email Address : th.theexile.ex@gmail.com
Other Files By Author : Ctrl_cen.wad (not out yet, as of this posting)

Description : Slaughter map, apparently. That's what they
call these kinds of maps, right? Man, it's been
years since I last dabbled in any doom editing.

Anyway, I tried to put in the extra bit of effort
to differentiate this from your average slaughter
map, but this is a bit of a new concept for me,
so I'm not completely sure how it'll turn out. I
wanted to try out a few neat ideas I had with
this, so be sure and let me know what you think!

Gameplay Information : One important thing to note: About mid-way
through you are required to use a Chainsaw to
"chop down" a set of tall pillars to continue. I
wasn't sure of a good way to make this function
more obvious than the way I did it, so just keep
that in mind. Be sure to "chop down" the pillar
with the invincibility spheres, first, to make your
life a lot easier for the remaining pillars.

Note also that the enemy spawns run on a fixed
schedule, so you must kill off enemy forces as
quickly as possible (but not recklessly!) or
you'll likely get swamped. You'll probably need
a bit of planning to get through this, but it is
doable!

Story : With the cleansing of the terrible demon presence
on Earth, hope for humanity's survival is
rekindled. However, the war is not won yet. It
appears a final UAC Gateway is still active and
is brewing hell's largest invasion force yet!
You must hold off this invasion long enough
for the last remaining UAC scientist survivors
to hack into the Gateway system and disable the
link between this world and the next once and for
all!

Humanity's final hope for survival now rests on
your shoulders!

(Hopefully your browser didn't burgerize all of that text. :p)

Here's the temporary download link (just uploaded to idgames/incoming, too):
Marine's Last Stand v1.2
(text file)

Comments, criticisms, bugs, kudos, etc. all appreciated!

its a good bit to kill 30 minutes with.

I enjoyed this. Quite different. :)

Bugs ...

1. This map has the textures -er1, -r1 and -ver1 but no patch, pname or texture1 entry.

2. Missing lower front side texture silver1 for lines 661, 662, 659 and 660.

3. Lines 1854 and 1853 you probably meant BLACK and line 1610 needs a front side X offset of 32.

4. Sector 343 - arrow - needs a light level of 255 and the sector tag removed.

5. Delete DoomBuilder sprite # 32000.

hawkwind said:

I enjoyed this. Quite different. :)

Bugs ...

1. This map has the textures -er1, -r1 and -ver1 but no patch, pname or texture1 entry.

2. Missing lower front side texture silver1 for lines 661, 662, 659 and 660.

3. Lines 1854 and 1853 you probably meant BLACK and line 1610 needs a front side X offset of 32.

4. Sector 343 - arrow - needs a light level of 255 and the sector tag removed.

5. Delete DoomBuilder sprite # 32000.

Alrighty. Done and done (except the arrow sector; I like that it shows up when the room gets dark).

How on earth did you discover all of those, by the way?

Anyway, get v1.2 here: http://www.warbox.us/my_files/doom/MLS_v1_2_.zip

Unless any new mysterious whack-a-mole bugs show up, I'm going to get on to finishing my other map now. That one is also interesting as I actually started it back during the old 10 Sector wad contest, but never finished it in time for the deadline and basically just abandoned it. I think turned out pretty well, actually, and it's always been another of those "loose end" ideas I've wanted to wrap up.

As for this map, I may come back later to try to improve some of the timings and the balance. Feedback still appreciated.

am i wrong or after the hell knights/pain elementals can you just stand around for the remaining 30 minutes without anything necessary to trigger in the side rooms? or can you do the chainsaw part, get the bfg then just hang out in the center without entering the 2nd warp (or just wait until the final wall lowers from the opposite side)

gggmork said:

am i wrong or after the hell knights/pain elementals can you just stand around for the remaining 30 minutes without anything necessary to trigger in the side rooms? or can you do the chainsaw part, get the bfg then just hang out in the center without entering the 2nd warp (or just wait until the final wall lowers from the opposite side)

You could hang out there, but I figured at the time a Backpack, a BFG, and some extra ammo ought to be worth the trip. Not to mention you get an opportunity to thin out the forces before they're all dumped on your lap.

At least, that was the idea...

Hey, your level is pretty cool until the 11ths minute. After it I don’t know what to do next. When I jump to the place here, I’m stuck. When I go to the enemies, I don’t know how to come back... hmmm... maybe you should open the exit after 15 minutes and before just throw in as many monsters as you can in the small main room.

Whoa my friend! I'm not even sure you're supposed to be in there! Heh!

Okay that settles it. I'm making a new version to tidy up that portion and bring the elapsed time down to 20 or 25. Thanks for your story.

Ah! sector 113. When I played this map I also ended up here. I, at first, thought it a bug until I realised that sector 113 had a sector tag number 16. Note that line 1613 has this tag number as well. When the voodoo doll passes over this line, sector 113 rises to sector 100/101's floor height. I admit though it can be a bit frustrating having to wait for sector 113 to rise if you end up here at the beginning of the level.

I think I originally had that sector as a lethal damaging sector, so if you fell in it would basically be a fatal mistake. Kinda a cop out, though (I can't remember when I even removed that property, though...). I'm just gonna do it properly and add a blocking wall until that area becomes available.

I had a lot of fun with this level. Didn't realise until 3/4 of the way through that the two red bars either side of the exit were marking time until the exit opened.

I fell into one of the 4 corners with all the ammo and invulnerability, and I couldn't get out, didnt know that these raise up later on, but this has already been mentioned.

Nice work on doing something that was pretty original. I had to save a lot. All in all pretty well balanced as far as ammo and health goes...

I hope to see more levels from you in the future.