Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Pure Hellspawn

The First PWAD You Ever Played

Oh, those memories... That was back in the day before the internet, getting a few levels here and there from different BBS's.

The first one I ever played was AA22Doom.

Oh wow...let me think. I can vaguely remember the first one I played but I haven't the slightest idea of what it's called. It was some sort of base (or maybe a jailhouse?) in the middle of a bunch of water. I distinctly remember the feeling of being stranded out in the middle of a big ocean or lake.

Or, I could be wrong. Another possible first pwad I played was some other map that I got when I downloaded DeePSea the first time. I remember it being some sort of large tower...maybe two towers...and it had stairs on the outside. You could go inside of the towers...in fact, I think most of the map was spent inside of these towers (they were pretty massive). The towers were set in a large, open area with some bits to play in this outside area (and in the walls surrounding this area). Meh, I can't really recall much more than that. It would be nice if I could find those two wads in question and play them again. If only I could remember their names...oh well!

The first wad I played was Blastem.wad off of a Doom add-on's disk that was sold commercially (this was in the early days of Doom's release, hence a disk instead of a CD).

Though it isn't the same Blastem.wad that's in the IDGames archive (which is a different wad with the same name).

The Blastem.wad I played was a small grey tech base surrounded by water. Most of the maps bad guys were in two long pit's just in front of where you start. The pit's were raised as you moved around the base.

I've actually found the map on the internet since. But then lost it in a computer failure.

The first pwad I played was called Cult Pit. I didn't know much about source ports at the time, because all I had was Doom 95 from the Doom CE install disk. Eventually I found out about Risen 3D and ZDoom and went from there.

The first PWAD I remember playing was Simpsons Doom, which of course didn't have any levels of its own. The first one with custom levels was something that was called Satan's mansion or something like that.

11bones - off a random wad disk from a random computer shop. Doesn't look like much nowadays but back then...it was like taking a first step into a larger world. (ironically it was my bro who found the disk and how to use wads, even though he didn't play the game much)

AgentSpork said:

Probably some random crappy map off of one of the D!Zone compilation CDs. :P

for sure. from d!zone or another of those awful compilations of random levels downloaded from the net and sold to clueless people. well, conncetions were slow and expensive back then, so having a cd full of crappy maps when you couldn't tell a good map from a crappy one yet wasn't bad. it even had a basic wad manager to launch the game. probably a map named aa*.wad so it appeared on the top of the list. i don't remember it, so i'm sure it was just a bunch of box-like rooms.

AgentSpork said:

Probably some random crappy map off of one of the D!Zone compilation CDs. :P

The earliest one I PERSONALLY recall playing was wheel2 off the doomday collection. Nothing special in its own right. This was probably in late 1994.

I can't remember which exactly, but I do remember trying numerous times trying to run zdoom wads with jdoom.

I don't remember the name, I don't remember when, but it was on ftp.cdrom.com, and it had a bunch of star-shaped rooms with lots of brovine and outside areas. One room was a small low outside area with two windows and a door leading into a small room with a teleporter which took you to the main star-shaped area. (and I'm not sure if this was from a separate pwad but there was a shotgun replacement to look like a peppergun)

Like others have said, it was off a D!Zone compilation CD ( it was D!Zone 2). I still have it lying around and still usable..but I have used it frequently back in the day..from doing all that front end for choosing WADs to replace a set of maps so it's not one at a time.

Since the explosion of user created content grew on the internet, I no longer needed to use the disc but keep it for nostalgia reasons.

Can't remeber for certain but i know among the first WADs i played, which stuck in my mind, were a shitty deathmatch level called Deth Tower and a multi-level WAD called Invaders which was über cool at the time because of all the new textures. These two WADs were basically what got me inspired to start editing Doom. Others include Chrisk Doom (BF_THUD), Bosco's The Crypt and probaly lot's more i can't even remeber anymore.

Does Chex Quest count? Because I played that probably a decade before I finally played Doom on PC.

i won't be able to remember that, ever.
what i do remember is buying my first modem from a classmate (a 2400 baud) for $20 for the sole purpose of playing deathmatch with a friend and trying for days to set this up to no avail. we never got it to work...so i just started downloading EVERY pwad i could find.
so many shitty wads but so many hours of bliss despite the shit. i even ran around early deathmatch maps like "ledges" pretending to know how much fun they would have been with a friend or two. heh.

and although i know i played custom maps before this, i did spend many many hours playing every single wad on the "tricks of the doom gurus" cd (which was the first cd-rom i owned and also the tutorial that got me started with mapping)...and then the "lost episodes of doom" disk from which "the draining pool" was my favorite map for awhile.

Not sure, but it's possible it was the Doomed demo map... or Aliens TC or...

AgentSpork said:

Probably some random crappy map off of one of the PCGamer/PCPower cover CDs. :P

The Lag said:

i won't be able to remember that, ever.
what i do remember is buying my first modem from a classmate (a 2400 baud) for $20 for the sole purpose of playing deathmatch with a friend and trying for days to set this up to no avail. we never got it to work...

I've never managed to get a modem game of Doom running properly either. Duke 3D worked great over modem though.