Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Georgef551

Verizon FiOS: Forced?

I don't know what to think of this, but I don't think it's true.
Someone in the local area (Central Massachusetts) stated that when FiOS was installed in the area, the techs went around the neighborhoods threatening customers to switch to FiOS, or you will lose your phone and internet. The techs claim that the traditional land-line and DSL will be nixed, and it'll either be FiOS, or nothing.

Anyone else with Verizon, where FiOS is available, experience the same thing?

The Company I work for Works Directly with Verizon FiOS (as well as Comcast and DirecTV to name a few). Given our history with them, I'm willing to bet that that's pretty much the case.

This is a huge blow to our product because ours requires an analog phone line, and will not work with VoIP.

I dont think too highly of FiOS Techs because I frequently have to tell them how to do their own jobs.

I wouldn't be too suprised if that were the case.

Found a quote in this news item that probably sums things up nicely.

About Verizon FiOS Solutions:

Verizon Fios Solutions, a New York based company, is saying farewell to conventional cable communications and connecting homes and businesses to 100% fiber-optic networks. Drawing on experience of meaningful solutions, Verizon will provide an unmatched amount of bandwidth for the next-generation of fiber networks for tomorrow.

Ah, fiber optics. I see.

Sounds like they're taking advantage of the digital TV switch and trying to make people think the same thing is going on with phone lines.

Pretty much all cable and satellite tv services are guilty of doing this nowadays. If you call Comcast, their hold messages will tell you they're the way to go when you lose your TV to the removal of analog TV.

yeah, thats what happened when cable started going digital. I have cablevision andwhen they started goin digital it was just an option to switch, as advertised. then one day everyone on the block lost cable and were forced to upgrade to digital service. with the only other option being sattelite tv, which was less reliable then, prety much everyone "upgraded". now cable companies are pushing for customers to subscribe so they won't lose tv when they make that switch to digital. it's all a scam to me.

Not really. Cable Providers are having increasingly difficult times competing with satellite providers. In order to provide more customers with more HD service, switching to SDV or all digital lineups helps them add more channels and compete with satellite.