Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Bucket

Doom 4 interview

The world-famous gaming website GGL Wire has posted an exclusive interview with Brad Hawkins, currently involved in production at id software as a motion capture actor. If you can bother reading through various subjects like his career and gaming hobbies, you'll get some insight into the motion capture process as well as some interesting Doom 4 tidbits--like the fact that marines will now be fighting alongside civilians, essentially confirming the Earth invasion scenario of the sequel.

With in-depth scoops like this, it's no wonder GGL Wire is a household name. EDIT: And no wonder the interview was removed.

Interesting, though I got a hunch the player will still be alone. Can't be any different. Civilians don't sound powerful enough.

Curious about monsters: I predict they'll be based on the Wraiths. And I want more cyborgs. Doom 3 doesn't have enough.

Did this guy get paid every time he mentioned GGL wire? Or perhaps are they currently pointing a loaded shotgun down his wife's throat? Either scenario is cooler than "No, he's just a tool"

Uhm, what an original idea it takes place on earth...

Edit: Don't get me wrong, but I'd see something more original than a retelling of doom 2 for doom 4.

I can't wait to see how hell on earth in Doom 4 looks like. I think they learned a few lessons from Doom 3 and they're taking a different route with the locations and the gameplay.

Maybe they still put (pinky) demons, pentagrams, fireballs, teleportation, cacos, cyberdemons, trites lol.

And plasma guns, shotguns, chainguns, bfgs, unholy artifacts, chainsaws.

Not even now any good?

Captain Toenail said:

Civilians

A good thing. It puts everything into perspective.

mp5s

It says it's a mp5 KIND of weapon. It's probably just a placeholder for a new machinegun.

teammates, realism

It doesn't say anything about these?

Well, I'm assuming the civilians and other marines are the teammates, also, the rifle poses and hints of frag grenades being thrown suggests realism-type gameplay.

As long as they keep the monster designs similiar to the originals I'll be happy

Interview removed by request of id Software.

Looks like that guy won't be getting any more job offers from id.

Captain Toenail said:

mp5s

What the fuck plasma rifles don't exist in real life. What else is he going to hold?

The Interview is gone now dude to a request from Id software. I didn't get a chance to read it. Oh well.

Yeah, I was hoping to take a look as well, I took a day off of checking the main page, and miss something cool. Oh well... Nobody happened to like, save a copy, did they?

Captain Toenail said:

As long as they keep the monster designs similiar to the originals I'll be happy

Unlikely seeing as how they didn't for Doom3.

For those who missed the interview, you didn't miss much.

I noticed that one of the comments on the page asks why they didn't use a real soldier. Now, I know that actors are actually generally better at portraying people because that's their job whereas the person who really does the thing in real life gets all self conscious and isn't trained how to work in front of a camera. Just watch any documentary or whatever where people are asked to play themselves. It usually looks terrible.

Equally, however, it is a fair point that the person commenting made. The military does have very set ways of training and doing things, and actors make mistakes portraying those ways that soldiers simply wouldn't. I have a few friends in the army and they spend half their time wincing at the bad "skills and drills" portrayed by all kinds of "soldiers" in the movies.

To take a silly example, in Return of the Jedi, there is a scene where the Emperor and Darth Vader walk past row after row of neatly arranged Storm Troopers - each one holding their gun at a different angle. I never even noticed it but every soldier I have watched the movie with picks up on it instantly. Simply having a proper military advisor present would have prevented that problem.

Well. that's the same for any profession really. You notice the parts that are lacking in your special field everytime.

Enjay said:
I noticed that one of the comments on the page asks why they didn't use a real soldier. Now, I know that actors are actually generally better at portraying people because that's their job whereas the person who really does the thing in real life gets all self conscious and isn't trained how to work in front of a camera.

Well, in the case of the mo-cap actor, I think its his job to capture some 'flashy' or otherwise cool-looking-but-impractical moves for a video game. Kinda like how martial arts movies have wild fighting styles or impressive acrobatic feats but don't actually help the fighter in a fight to the death.

Enjay said:

I noticed that one of the comments on the page asks why they didn't use a real soldier.

For the same reason you don't hire a chef to act in a movie. They had to mocap hundreds of moves, some of them pertaining to soldier maneuvers. Acting, physical prowess and more importantly, experience with mocap rigs are essential skills for this kind of job. Animation data must be cleaned and properly retooled to cycle and interpolate smoothly, it really helps to have someone who can do the animator's job easier.