Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Sigvatr

A bunch of new sky textures

Most of the time whenever I have wanted to replace a sky in a Doom wad, I have been mostly interested in the color rather than scenery. Because of this, I decided to make a set of generic mountain and cloudy sky textures with a wide variety of colors. The sky pack contains 41 new skies for you to use any way you wish.

You can get them at my site, Advanced Doom

These are really tight. I've been working on a level that I know I'll need to put a sky replacement in for, and I didn't know what it would be. It'll definitely be one of these.

Nice! While I personally think some more variety in the actual mountain design would have helped a lot, there's still some great-looking stuff in here. Thanks Sigvatr :)

Yeah they are really cool but the combination of green mountains and red sky is physically impossible (or at least near impossible) but i guess that doesn't matter because it makes a neat sky.

Really nice high-quality set. Personally, I'm on the same page as essel, there being too many variations of the same thing. But the very last one is perfect! A really good looking hellish city sky. I'll be sure to put that one to good use sometime. :)

Thanks dood!

Edit: By the way, can you post the cloud backdrops, or are they incomplete?

Oh very cool! I love new sky textures and these are pretty slick. Given I'm in agreement with essel and EarthQuake that there's not much variation besides different coloring...but that's a minor nitpick. Anyways, I really like the greens and the hellish sky :]

JohnnyRancid said:

Yeah they are really cool but the combination of green mountains and red sky is physically impossible (or at least near impossible) but i guess that doesn't matter because it makes a neat sky.

Running at the speed of a freight train is impossible too.
Carrying 100 rockets the size of your own body... guess what? Impossible.
I could go on.

Oh, thanks alot! :D
I needed some new sky textures for my megawad. :P

kristus said:

Running at the speed of a freight train is impossible too.
Carrying 100 rockets the size of your own body... guess what? Impossible.
I could go on.

Not to mention carrying seven weapons at one time and a chainsaw.

I've seen green hills, purple hills, grey hills, brown hills and orange hills all under a blue sky.

Using the same basic hill appearance makes this set useful for anyone who wants to set a series of maps in the same place but at different times, different weather or whatever.

Enjay said:

I've seen green hills, purple hills, grey hills, brown hills and orange hills all under a blue sky.

Using the same basic hill appearance makes this set useful for anyone who wants to set a series of maps in the same place but at different times, different weather or whatever.

I think what I'm trying to say is that it looks like the same mountains just illuminated of different colors by some unknown source, but the initial thing that colors the mountains would be the sun, which must be a color other than white/yellow if the sky is that saturated.

Advanced Doom website said:

also to write tutorials showing people how to make their own textures.

I'd appreciate it very much if you offered some of your insight on what techniques you used to make these skies.

Stilgar said:

I'd appreciate it very much if you offered some of your insight on what techniques you used to make these skies.

As would I! Sometime later I'm going to try my hand at making some textures and some sort of guide from a experience texture-er would be excellent to have :]

Make a purple sky using Doom's 5 shades of purple (and whatever other colors that look good when dithered with them).

My attempt came out looking pretty good, but it had sort of a cartoony feel to it.

Do it!

EarthQuake said:

(and whatever other colors that look good when dithered with them).

Dithering hardly ever looks good in Doom.

JohnnyRancid said:

I think what I'm trying to say is that it looks like the same mountains just illuminated of different colors by some unknown source, but the initial thing that colors the mountains would be the sun, which must be a color other than white/yellow if the sky is that saturated.

A few of the colour combinations don't work for me either but that's not to say they couldn't occur on another world with a radically different atmosphere.