Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
BilboHicks

ScoreDoom 2.9 Full Release (updated to 2.9g)

Gez said:

How does it cope with dynamic spawning? Like if you have an Icon of Sin map and you've killed all monsters. Do you lose the bonus once a new one is spawned? Do you get the bonus several times each time you kill the "last remaining monster" as soon as they are spawned?

With ACS, you can also spawn monsters, as well as items, barrels, and even secrets... How is everything handled?

Good questions, that have now got me thinking of reverting back to the old style scoring by default. Since, to be fair, there will be circumstances I haven't accounted for. But, regular Scoredoom (gzscoredoom) removes countkill flag for anything spawned from soul cubes, lost souls from pain elementals and ressed monsters from archviles. The add-on pack DECORATE also enforces this with its custom monsters that can be spawned in after the level has started.

ACS scripts (and custom DECORATE in wads) that spawn new stuff like you mentioned will cause problems for the new scoring system. Insofar as you can get multiple bonuses as more stuff spawns in to increase the totals again. Not good, but the main driver behind the change was the new HUD spread stats seemed to make more sense this way, and nearly all wads I will play will not be affected by this (certainly not the ones on the hi score server).

Hmmn, I will probably patch this to 3.0r4b or something and have the new scoring available for custom offline scores via a console variable now, as Im not 100% sure that every wad I'm supporting will not cause problems :P.
Thanks for the feedback Gez.

EDIT: Patched to 3.0r4b. You will need this for online hi scoring. Now I give End of Level Bonus notifications for totals hit during the level, BUT the bonus score doesn't get tallied till the end.

EDIT 2:
Ok, there is another patch out. 3.0r4c. This fixes the bug where the All Barrels Blown message keeps re-ocurring in some instances. You can still use 3.0r4b, but that message will get annoying :P .
That should be it.

http://scoredoom.com/blog/2011/10/07/scoredoom-3-0r4-gets-a-new-look/

gun_psycho said:

The new hud's plenty more convenient IMO, seeing that I now know how much time I have left under par.

Yeah, I agree, its like night vs day when comparing the huds. The new HUD really helps play.

gun_psycho said:

Does the fixed Journey to Hell version have that one map08 issue resolved?

yes. I will keep support for JTH on the server, but after playing HR & AV, I can see that the complaints of plagiarism are well founded. Also JTH isnt nearly as polished. Though to be fair, the author did mention it was a beta. that used the maps as a base.

Well, I'm still plowing through Plutonia 2, so it'll be a long time before I start on Journey to Hell proper.

By the way, I'm still looking forward to any new megawads you wish to add. (I don't have any yet at the moment.)

gun_psycho said:

Well, I'm still plowing through Plutonia 2, so it'll be a long time before I start on Journey to Hell proper.

By the way, I'm still looking forward to any new megawads you wish to add. (I don't have any yet at the moment.)

1994 remake, Reverie and DTWID (if that gets compeleted fairly soon) I will eventually add. Though there are a ton of great wads already on the server that havent been touched yet.

I'll get around to those easier megawads first. By the way, I'm up to map16, having went "fuck it" and used the map thing to warp right to map31, pretty much like I did in the case of Scythe II's supersecret exit. (getting to the PRCP supersecret exit isn't that hard compared to how to get to that megawad's secret exit, which I wasn't willing to bother with)

Edit: I finally finished up Plutonia Revisited, and as usual, I just gave the middle finger to the monster spawner boss via nuke missile to the boss's brain.

gun_psycho said:

Edit: I finally finished up Plutonia Revisited, and as usual, I just gave the middle finger to the monster spawner boss via nuke missile to the boss's brain. [/B]

hehe, yeah, I did that with Hell Revealed. That was a hard megawad, and was glad to finish it.

That's good to hear. By the way, I'll get started on some of the easier megawads first before I move on to the super-hard ones. (Requiem and the Memento Mori series for instance)

gun_psycho said:

That's good to hear. By the way, I'll get started on some of the easier megawads first before I move on to the super-hard ones. (Requiem and the Memento Mori series for instance)

Cool. You set hard scores to beat, so its good to have some challenging scores to go up against.

I updated ScoreDoom again with a minor patch to fix a bug where the total kills bonus message repeatedly showed in certain situations (though you were not actually get any points). I also added a small but cool feature requested by a player where the 'chain count' is tallied as a stat. This is the total monsters killed during the current chain. Simple, but it adds a little fun.

more here:
http://scoredoom.com/blog/2011/10/29/scoredoom-3-0r4d-bug-fix-and-chain-counts/

The chain count thing's nice, though I still don't see how much time I have left before each kill chain ends.

By the way, I finished Biowar recently. The final level was pretty short, thankfully.

Edit: I'm currently blowing through the first Twilight Zone megawad, and man is it a weird megawad. I'll try my hand at the sequel, next, and then Whispers of Satan once again.

Edit 2: I got Twilight Zone out of the way, working up the courage to tackle the sequel next.

Edit 3: I'm halfway done with Twilight Zone 2, both secret levels included (Map31 was a pain in the ass), and man is the ejaculator weapon a wonderful chainsaw replacement. By the way, I'm the supreme level score champion again.

gun_psycho said:

The chain count thing's nice, though I still don't see how much time I have left before each kill chain ends.

By the way, I finished Biowar recently. The final level was pretty short, thankfully.

Edit: I'm currently blowing through the first Twilight Zone megawad, and man is it a weird megawad. I'll try my hand at the sequel, next, and then Whispers of Satan once again.

Edit 2: I got Twilight Zone out of the way, working up the courage to tackle the sequel next.

Edit 3: I'm halfway done with Twilight Zone 2, both secret levels included (Map31 was a pain in the ass), and man is the ejaculator weapon a wonderful chainsaw replacement. By the way, I'm the supreme level score champion again.

good stuff. Now, you got me adding a 3 second countdown ticker for chains. This is a cool idea. As it can help the player pick and choose enemies/weapons last minute to keep the chain going. Got it working, just need to make it look better. Need to add chain counts and the ticker to scoredoomst too.

One last thing: I noted that the chainsaw is pretty much useless for chain kills, but the ejaculator replacement in Twilight Zone 2 pretty much just tears through enemies, especially with the drain rune, damage amplifier powerups, and the spread powerup.

Edit: Speaking of Twilight Zone 2, I finished it up, and now I'll be getting ready to start on Whispers of Satan soon.

Edit 2: Ok, the chainsaw's useful against enemies with less than 100 hitpoints, but that's about it.

hey gs, could you give me some more info on the map14 whitemare crashes?

Does it happen in software, non-full screen, w.o. add-on pack, w.o. the sdgldef.pk3?
How often does it happen, sporadically, or at certain definite points in the map? I played a bit through it but it did not crash for me yet.

Do you have a save game you send m, just before a crash? thanks.

I will be updating the high score server after DTWID is released, so will add those.

Other than that, the scoredoomst master server is back up after being down for a long time. dyndns.org changed their policies and the master server was no longer accessible under scoredoom.dyndns.org

gun_psycho said:

I was playing it in opengl mode last I remember. I was at the part with that floor puzzle when the crashes kept on occuring.

Ok, I havent worked out the floor puzzle yet, lol. The one with the 3switches and depressing teleport pads? That hasnt crashed yet for me. Does it crash once you get to a door or after you beat the trap?

gun_psycho said:

I really dunno exactly where it crashes, but I'll likely keep pressing on until I get past the map.

try playing in non-full screen mode for that part and let me know. thanks.

edit: okay, I played through that part and no crashes for me in full screen. still havent played through the whole map yet, too busy.

Pretty sure I mentioned this in the past and hope I'm not bugging you by bringing it up again, but do you think you'll make an in-game personal high score table? I haven't played score doom in a while, but the lack of an in-game is one of the things that makes it seem a little pointless for me to play.

Also, an option for permadeath like in ManDoom would be really cool. Unlimited lives in something score based seems a little bit like cheating.

I'm not knocking scoredoom at all. I just think these two features would make it that much better for single player.

Brewtal_Legend said:

Pretty sure I mentioned this in the past and hope I'm not bugging you by bringing it up again, but do you think you'll make an in-game personal high score table? I haven't played score doom in a while, but the lack of an in-game is one of the things that makes it seem a little pointless for me to play.

Also, an option for permadeath like in ManDoom would be really cool. Unlimited lives in something score based seems a little bit like cheating.

I'm not knocking scoredoom at all. I just think these two features would make it that much better for single player.

No problem, feedback is always welcome :). Just curious, how would you have the hi score table displayed in game? Give me an idea. Isn't the score to beat (level and wad) already on the HUD, and intermission/finale screens already reveal if you have set a new high score.

I could take whats on the leaderboards on scoredoom.com and do a simple format of that in-game. But I don't see the point. To me going to scoredoom.com with rich formatting, vs going to an in-game screen still takes you away from the game-play to actually view the high scores. Though I agree that an in-game table would be cool. :-) I just don't see what is wrong with the score to beat being displayed on the HUD, and how that makes it pointless to play. The new HUD in 3.x also displays the amount of points you are behind the hi score by.

As far as perma-death or a lives system, that is interesting (and oldskool arcade like), but is too far away from straight up doom for me. The points really come from the speed in which you complete levels, that in itself is a challenge (boils down to who can do the quickest UV Max speedruns), as can be seen with scores set already on the leader-boards. Also Hardcore mode essentially gives you 1 life per level, as you can't save a game within a level. So the start of each level is a checkpoint.

@GP: Cool, glad you got through to complete it. Will get around to uploading support for DoomCore, Reverie, DTWID and the other 2 you posted later this week. Oh yeah, as well as support for Memorial :D, despite it having a few glitches with zdoom based engines.

That'll be fine to try Memorial. Also, I just finished Neodoom... and MAN was it a tough journey. I pretty much went "screw it" upon reaching map25, trying to beat the rest of the megawad as quickly as I could, and I toppled the mega vixen in map27.

gun_psycho said:

That'll be fine to try Memorial. Also, I just finished Neodoom... and MAN was it a tough journey. I pretty much went "screw it" upon reaching map25, trying to beat the rest of the megawad as quickly as I could, and I toppled the mega vixen in map27.

Good stuff, isnt there an updated version of neodoom I should be using? That fixes the vixens? But you beat the hard version, so why not keep it? :-)

I'll pretty much say that I got the Neodoom curse outta my system forever, regardless of which version. (Though I recommend using the fixed version in case the high scores get erased)

I would think a high score table that only keeps track of your local own personal bests. Would be nice if there was a way to add initials or something like that in case there were more than one person playing doom on that computer. Maybe a top 3 list?

Also if combined with an optional permadeath/lives system, then it would display what wad and the last level completed that the score is from. It should also display your score when you die if there was permadeath/lives.

It could be something accessible from the main menu screen. Simply "High Scores."

To my knowledge, the way the online leader boards work is that you're name doesn't even get posted unless you beat the score of whoever currently has the high score. Personaly, I'm mostly interested in just my own high scores. That's why I would prefer some sort of in game, arcade style, way to view only my own personal best.

As far as taking you away from the game to view the scores, it wouldn't be like stopping mid game to check scores. More like starting the game and checking your scores before starting. Maybe to decide which one you feel like trying to beat. Or checking them after you die. Still more convenient in my opinion than needing an internet connection to go online just to see if you even landed on board with everyone else. Plus, I imagine an in game high score board would mean you could play any wad you wanted and get a high score for it instead of needing it to be designated on the scoredoom leader board.

Also, just tried the latest version. The new hud doesn't pop up the way it is in the screen shot from your blog.

Brewtal_Legend said:

I would think a high score table that only keeps track of your local own personal bests. Would be nice if there was a way to add initials or something like that in case there were more than one person playing doom on that computer. Maybe a top 3 list?

Also if combined with an optional permadeath/lives system, then it would display what wad and the last level completed that the score is from. It should also display your score when you die if there was permadeath/lives.

It could be something accessible from the main menu screen. Simply "High Scores."

To my knowledge, the way the online leader boards work is that you're name doesn't even get posted unless you beat the score of whoever currently has the high score. Personaly, I'm mostly interested in just my own high scores. That's why I would prefer some sort of in game, arcade style, way to view only my own personal best.

As far as taking you away from the game to view the scores, it wouldn't be like stopping mid game to check scores. More like starting the game and checking your scores before starting. Maybe to decide which one you feel like trying to beat. Or checking them after you die. Still more convenient in my opinion than needing an internet connection to go online just to see if you even landed on board with everyone else. Plus, I imagine an in game high score board would mean you could play any wad you wanted and get a high score for it instead of needing it to be designated on the scoredoom leader board.

Also, just tried the latest version. The new hud doesn't pop up the way it is in the screen shot from your blog.

Yeah, I see what you are thinking, how far you can go without dying, instead of tallying points at end of each level. This is definitely a different approach, and I will keep it in mind, if I ever work on SD again, but I just don't see that happening unfortunately (in the near future at least), besides adding new wads to the hi score server.

As far as your own hi scores, SD has always supported your own local hi scores! , for whatever wad configuration you want to play. In Scoredoom Options set online hi score mode to 'off'. Whatever wad configuration you load, SD will create your own hi scores you set for that configuration. This technically (albeit very rough and unsupported) is the same for the leaderboards too. If you load a wad configuration that the hi score server doesnt recognize, it creates a an entry in wad_main_public for the wad and level hi scores (i.e. for regular mode: http://www.scoredoom.com/wad_main_public.php?sorttype=gmt_timestamp&sortorder=desc )

Online leaderboards now also support 2nd and 3rd place scores too.

EDIT: with the HUD, install into a new directory (not over old install) and make sure you hit the +/= key enough to get rid of the status bar for the HUD to show.

So far, I'm just getting those wads with less than 32 maps out of the way first. Currently, I'm doing the first Titan mapset, and man are those hectebi (the big gray ones) pains in the ass.