Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
BilboHicks

ScoreDoom 2.9 Full Release (updated to 2.9g)

gun_psycho said:

There are two things I discovered so far that I neglected to mention:

1. Why does the Hell Lord sound like a doom64/psxdoom hell knight when he dies?

2. I noted that the obliterator (cyberbaron recolor) is missing from the boss rush.

1. This could be a sound conflict, but Im thinking it is deliberate from the decorate author, since if Im not mistaken, that is a Doom64 baron of hell.

2. The obliterator was added last minute and is very close to a cyberbaron & armoured baron.

I tried out the "no infighting" mode yesterday, and I found that it makes those megawads much more challenging... though I'm not sure if the enemies are made immune to splash damage to other enemy rockets as well.

gun_psycho said:

I tried out the "no infighting" mode yesterday, and I found that it makes those megawads much more challenging... though I'm not sure if the enemies are made immune to splash damage to other enemy rockets as well.

Yes, and it is a more competitive mode I think, since you dont lose all those damage points from infighting.

Hmmn, taking a look at the code, I dont think that it is possible that that splash damage can being doing any damage, unless the source monster of the damage was null, and the code always sends a source, it looks like.
Have you ever noticed a green 'Infighting Bonus' text on the HUD in this mode? If so, then something is definitely up.

Actually if you have ever seen a green 'Suicide Bonus', and the monster isnt a rocket carrying zombie who blew himself up, or a creature that was crushed by a ceiling, or killed by a barrel, something is definitely up there too. Note: You may see 'Suicide Bonus' come up, and it is valid, but happened out of view ;-)

Let me know if you see anything like this in non-infghting mode.

Now that Skulltag has released its source, do you plan on adding client/server multiplayer support to ScoreDoom?

The only things I found the "no infighting" mode that still damaged monsters as certain attacks like Thamuz's ring of fire attack, monsters that do final attacks before going down (i.e. scorpion tank's shrapnel and dark vile's death sequence) and monsters spawned by the icon of sin shooter still fight with other enemies. (Enemies killed by the crusher (though they still take damage) I believe doesn't count, as certain maps work with that in mind.)

Edit: I beat the two secret maps of the first HR yet again in that mode, and my current progress is that I made it to map18.

gun_psycho said:

The only things I found the "no infighting" mode that still damaged monsters as certain attacks like Thamuz's ring of fire attack, monsters that do final attacks before going down (i.e. scorpion tank's shrapnel and dark vile's death sequence) and monsters spawned by the icon of sin shooter still fight with other enemies. (Enemies killed by the crusher (though they still take damage) I believe doesn't count, as certain maps work with that in mind.)

Edit: I beat the two secret maps of the first HR yet again in that mode, and my current progress is that I made it to map18.

Thank you. Will look at fixing this.

@AlexMax: Yes, I can see me trying to port this. Its fantastic that the source has been released. Hopefully it will not be too painful :P

AlexMax said:

Now that Skulltag has released its source, do you plan on adding client/server multiplayer support to ScoreDoom?

UPDATE: After taking a good hard look at the skulltag source released (got it compiling as well), I've decided to go ahead and use it for the multiplayer co-op aspect of scoredoom, leaving the current .exe for scoredoom single player local & online hi scoring. It will be a lot simpler to leave out all the single-player stuff (hi score server anti-cheating & md5 checking, par-time calculations etc...), but add-on pack and configurable custom content support will be added, including boss-rush. (this also means leaving out a majority of my hacky code :P)

There will be 2( or 3) modes: Regular Scoredoom Co-op, Scoredoom Team Co-op and *maybe* ScoreDoom Invasion. I may also utilize some type of scoredoom-specific medals.

Im going to start off with just getting Scoredoom co-op & team co-op working first, then add invasion if it isnt too much of a bother, then finally the scoredoom add-on pack content & alt-fire modes for the full release.

BilboHicks said:

stuff

Fantastic news!

I do have a question or two. How does the version of Skulltag 97c2 being based on a much older version of ZDoom affect things? Will you be updating 97c2 to a newer version of ZDoom, or simply add things as you need them?

AlexMax said:

Fantastic news!

I do have a question or two. How does the version of Skulltag 97c2 being based on a much older version of ZDoom affect things? Will you be updating 97c2 to a newer version of ZDoom, or simply add things as you need them?

Good question, Yeah its a little older, even from the version of gzdoom that I am using for single player scoredoom. There will be some flags I will need to add etc..., but most of that will come in the 3rd step, when I start supporting the add-on pack and other content like alt-fire modes. So yeah I will be adding things as I need them. I'm aiming to support the range of wads & DECORATE that scoredoom SP currently supports.
It looks like the first 2 steps should be the easiest, now that I've figured out the skulltag scoring system plumbing, and what to call. I've also found a cool application for code-merging called 'Beyond Compare 3' which I'm trying out, and its pretty sweet, so this should make it little easier.

It will still be a lot of work, but the serendipitous release timing has sort of encouraged me, despite being tired of working on SD. Also the thought of Team co-op across levels is kind-of sweet :P

Is it likely that the official leaderboards will also support some of the newest megawads? (i.e. the recently-released speed of doom)

gun_psycho said:

Is it likely that the official leaderboards will also support some of the newest megawads? (i.e. the recently-released speed of doom)

Yep, I will update the leaderboards. By the end of the month. Let me know which wads you want added, with the url to the latest versions.

It's really cool that you're doing this :) Great to see the ST source code being put to good use! ScoreDoom is a really neat idea, and it'd be great to see it bolstered by some great multiplayer action! :)

Ok, I have a short list of megawads I want added to the leaderboards.

http://www.doomworld.com/idgames/index.php?id=8714 (#1 Kill: The Next Generation)
http://www.doomworld.com/idgames/index.php?id=10482 (Operation: Biowar)
http://www.doomworld.com/idgames/index.php?id=13959 (Beyond The Hell)
http://www.doomworld.com/idgames/index.php?id=9180 (Invasion II)
http://www.doomworld.com/idgames/index.php?id=11108 (Enjay ZDoom 2001)
http://www.doomworld.com/idgames/index.php?id=15852 (Heroe's Tales)

Once Speed of Doom's released to /idgames (if it's released before this month ends), I'll post a link to there as well.

Edit: That was originally gonna be my post before I accidentally put it in the wrong thread.

Carnevil said:

It's really cool that you're doing this :) Great to see the ST source code being put to good use! ScoreDoom is a really neat idea, and it'd be great to see it bolstered by some great multiplayer action! :)

Well thank you very much Carnevil. And thanks again for deciding to release it. This will give me a second opportunity to write some less-hacky code, as well as learn a little more about client-server programming.

Would you also check out the first release of Speed of Doom? I know it could be a potential high-score heaven for those who love slaughterfest wads.

Edit: I found that monsters can still also be killed by getting telefragged by their own buddies in no infighting mode.

gun_psycho said:

Would you also check out the first release of Speed of Doom? I know it could be a potential high-score heaven for those who love slaughterfest wads.

Edit: I found that monsters can still also be killed by getting telefragged by their own buddies in no infighting mode.

Sure will.

RE: Telefrags, yes sometimes monsters have to telefrag others. As long as you dont get points for it.

I tested Speed of Doom with the add-on pack and the no infighting mode... turns out map30 would be nigh-impossible to beat because my pc would lag to hell because of so much crap that would fly at me. (My pc's an AMD Athlon 64 Processor with 512 MB Memory and a 200GB Hard Drive)

Is there a way to reduce the lag without disabling the high scoring?

gun_psycho said:

I tested Speed of Doom with the add-on pack and the no infighting mode... turns out map30 would be nigh-impossible to beat because my pc would lag to hell because of so much crap that would fly at me. (My pc's an AMD Athlon 64 Processor with 512 MB Memory and a 200GB Hard Drive)

Is there a way to reduce the lag without disabling the high scoring?

Have you optimized/turned down your display, video & sound settings? Turn everything down to minimum and disable any extra opengl features.

There is some tuning I can & should throw in, like moving global state checks out of aactor's tick function (doh!) and into the main game tick function, and no doubt some other tweaks.

I've been working on getting SD to exist within skulltag's client-server code, and after some initial pulling my hair out, I've finally made some good progress with the core point scoring/gameplay, so I'm more confident in being able to more easily add everything else. As I merge code, I will look for more tweaks, and add them to the single player version as well, and release an updated version of that.

PS, have you tried Sunder Episode 1? It rocks, but the later levels are just nuts.

I looked at the Sunder levels, and those later levels... "nuts" would be somewhat of an understatement. Those levels would give me a major "oh crap" impression if I actually played them. (My PC had that same feeling with map10, as the opening area was lagging pretty badly.)

Edit: Is it also possible to use sv_allowcrouch and sv_allowjump without disabling high scores in maps that don't allow such?

gun_psycho said:

I looked at the Sunder levels, and those later levels... "nuts" would be somewhat of an understatement. Those levels would give me a major "oh crap" impression if I actually played them. (My PC had that same feeling with map10, as the opening area was lagging pretty badly.)

Edit: Is it also possible to use sv_allowcrouch and sv_allowjump without disabling high scores in maps that don't allow such?

Yes it gets crazy in the later levels.

No I wont override the MAPINFO rules that the wad creator implemented. I can imagine that it is frustrating if you have a key bound and forgot about it though. The reason being was that someone convinced me to enforce the MAPINFO rules (they gave me a good example), when I was not before, but I cant remember exactly why :P

I will get around to updating the hi score server with the new wad hashes, as well as add some tuning tweaks to the single player scoredoom executable.

gun_psycho said:

Yeah, if you played those levels (and map 30 of speed of doom) with the add-on pack, thats why. I finally played some sunder.wad on the final levels without the add-on pack and performance-wise it was ok.

I still plan to do some tweaks to gzscoredoom (some dumb hacks need to go!), but I just dont think that atm, it will make any difference, since the add-on pack adds a ton of new monsters, so it is a hardware limitation. My system was cutting edge a year ago, and well overclocked, and it came to its knees severely when I played map08 of sunder. So it may be best to play those levels w.o. the pack for now.

I wanted to update the hi-score server this weekend with your wad requests, but I have been called into work to put some fires out.

@ gun_psycho:

The Megawads: #1 Kill: The Next Generation, Operation: Biowar, Beyond The Hell, Invasion II, Enjay ZDoom 2001, Speed of Doom & UAC Ultra (1.2) have been added to the Hi Score Server.

I PM'd you as well. More updates to follow.

A patch is out for ScoreDoom, (Scoredoom 2.8r4).

It is online hi score server compatible, which adds an important fix for voodoo dolls & scrollers, that makes levels like Community Chest 2 MAP07 & MAP20 finishable :-) It also has some other minor tweaks like adding the 'ouch face' to the status bar graphics.

Grab from usual: http://www.scoredoom.com

Then I will have a separate update with a new (2.9?) executable and addonpack with a ton of new monsters (those from Ream667's Beast 2010 competition included). This will not be online server supported, atm.

SDST and its addonpack will also be updated with whatever new monsters I can manage to fit into it.

Finally the hi score server files (php code & database) will be released for people wanting to have their own servers. I plan to update the documentation explaining how to install etc...

If this has been answered already I apologize, but I only recently discovered ScoreDoom.

When I run gzScoreDoom, all my music and sound effects sound as if they are being projected through a tin can. I've tried adjusting the settings in the sound options but nothing changes. Am I missing something? How can I fix this?

Herculine said:

If this has been answered already I apologize, but I only recently discovered ScoreDoom.

When I run gzScoreDoom, all my music and sound effects sound as if they are being projected through a tin can. I've tried adjusting the settings in the sound options but nothing changes. Am I missing something? How can I fix this?

Are you running scoredoom in its own directory? If you are, and its running its own ini file, PM me the ini file and I will take a look when I get some time.

EDIT: in options, try setting "fm synth for mus music" switched to off, and see if that helps.

The problem was that I had it in a directory with like half a dozen other source ports. I thought nothing of it since the others all seemed to get along so well together. But as soon as I reinstalled it to its own folder the music and sounds were normal, and now I even get to hear the Mortal Kombat announcer guy!

Thanks for the help!

Okay, now I have another question (or two)...

I've noticed that gzScoreDoom doesn't come with a lights.pk3 file like gzDoom. I tried loading the one for gzd with gzsd but of course it will not work, giving warning messages about DOOMDEFS. Is there a light resource file that will work with gzScoreDoom?

I also notice that the .exe doesn't recognize the new ZDoom MAPINFO syntax. Are there plans for a version that will?

Herculine said:
I've noticed that gzScoreDoom doesn't come with a lights.pk3 file like gzDoom. I tried loading the one for gzd with gzsd but of course it will not work, giving warning messages about DOOMDEFS. Is there a light resource file that will work with gzScoreDoom?

Herculine said:
I also notice that the .exe doesn't recognize the new ZDoom MAPINFO syntax. Are there plans for a version that will? [/B]

gzScoreDoom was built with gzdoom 1.0.29, an older version of gzdoom. So there is probably no support for the lights.pk3 file you are trying to use.

For the new MAPINFO syntax, that is very doubtful. Since I've basically quit development on it.
I may support it, if I find that there are some 'must play in scoredoom' (for me) zdoom specific maps coming out using this new MAPINFO syntax. Or if older zdoom specific maps like Titan/Titan2/UT&T etc... get updated with it. Most of my focus with scoredoom is on doom/boom compatible wads, with gzdoom supported legacy & zdoom specific wads as a bonus.

Even though I have quit proper development, I decided to create a 2.9 version specifically for new add-on pack content. Its exactly the same pretty much as 2.8r4, except for its newer Add-on Pack support. Therefore it's not online hi score leader board compatible-> use 2.8 for that.
Just uploaded a 'beta' version for anyone to try, before I declare it a full release.

grab from http://www.scoredoom.com

Its probably best if I just do a dump of the readme:

ScoreDoom 2.9 Beta Release Notes

ScoreDoom 2.9 was released to accommodate new Add-on Pack content, like new custom monsters. 2.9 is
targeted at players who like playing with the add-on pack and dont mind using local hi scoring.
2.9 may be periodically updated to add new custom monsters.

2.9 releases are not meant (a.t.m.) to be compatible with the 'official' ScoreDoom online hi-score
server. For online hi scoring, grab the last version of ScoreDoom 2.8 from
http://www.scoredoom.com

Scoredoom 2.9 archives will come with an updated add-on pack in the 'skins' sub-directory with
new & updated content.

Changes from 2.8
-Nearly 30 new monsters, many from the realm667.com beastiary and the Realm667.com 2010 competition.
-Terrorsphere duration is toned down a lot, since it is a very powerful powerup.
-Nearly all Archvile variants can now raise monsters.
-Hellroses are gone, so now 100% monsters should always be achievable.

Beta Feedback
-Looking to get feedback on the new content (sounds too loud/irritatig, monsters too hard etc.).
-Are sprite & sound clashes
-Bugs: i.e. levels unfinishable (typically MAP07, E1M8,E2M8 etc.), etc.