Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
BilboHicks

ScoreDoom 2.9 Full Release (updated to 2.9g)

BurningCadavre said:

Well, sad to say this release of ScoreDoom seems to have some unusual, game crippling errors.

The add-on pack is especially bad now unlike in the past, it bombed out on me twice on Underhalls for no real reason, I think it didn't like one of the enemy types that got spawned but I'm not sure.

I was also then playing up until The Crusher without the pack when I fired the rocket launcher and the game bombed out with this:

http://i387.photobucket.com/albums/oo319/BurningCadavre/scoredoomunknownerror.png

It's also the same kind of "error" for the add-on pack.

EDIT: Kind of reminds me back in the day when the brand new 2.0 series of ZDoom branch came about and people were still using stuff like "63 cab" and they were extremely crash happy, at least for me, with similar errors like that.

BLAH, I should of provided a download to my .ini(s) http://www.mediafire.com/?p0hmazenadafvwm

The add-on pack crashes have been fixed for the new 'patch' release. One of the replacement monsters had a problem, that would cause the game to crash intermittently.

With the Crusher crash w.o. the pack, were you playing with a completely new install? New .ini etc? Or did you install over an older release, or are sharing an ini with regular zdoom/gzdoom? Were you running any extra add-on wads/pk3s like weapon mods?

I have been putting in a little time play-testing, and I haven't really noticed any more instability than previously, but I will play some more.

I'm still waiting for my host to grant me access to phpmyadmin so I can back up the database, as well release the 'patch' version (2.9d).
I fixed it so that when playing with wads like Plutonia 2 which contain dehacked lumps inside the wad, that the SD add-on pack dehacked lump still gets executed. So there will not be a relative shortage of ammo. 2.9d will also have 2 new powerups: ammo-regen & high jump, as well as more add-on pack tweaks (hornet buzzing toned down etc.).
Another change I'm considering is to have the bfg9000 alt-fire shot to consume 200 cells vs 400. I think this is better, but I will decrease the cellpack drops to half during boss rush.

I had no prior installation of ScoreDoom, I played an older version several months ago and it didn't have any of these problems. I just dropped my IWADs in the new directory and started setting up the game. First tested with add-on pack, then without it.

It also seems that crash occurs with any rockets being fired, and not just from the player, a rocket guy must of shot one off somewhere in Underhalls hence the game crashing suddenly. I didn't allow any ones I encountered to get off a shot so that explains it. No other weapons or projectiles seem to crash the game. So that would mean if the Cyberdemon fired his RL the game would bomb out no doubt.

OK I eat my own words, I tested it once more by a clean install with no modified .ini(s) and summoned a rocket and the game didn't crash at all. I think this thing just really didn't like me modifying my ZDoom.ini to my preferences.

ScoreDoom updated to 2.9d (w. Add-on Pack) and ScoredoomST updated to 0.97c2-R4d (w. Add-on Pack).
Grab updates from scoredoom.com

Patch releases: Fixes for intermittent crashes with the add-on pack, and other add-on pack tweaks.
- Add-on Pack DEHACKED now properly compatible with wads like Plutonia 2
- BFG Alt-Fire now consumes 200 cells (vs 400).
- ScoredoomST 0.97c2-R4d has updated netgameversion.
- SD has 2 new artifacts: High Jump & Ammo-Regen
- SDST has 1 new artifact: Ammo-Regen

-----

You will need 2.9d for online hi scoring with the add-on pack. 2.9d is preferential w.o. the add-on pack too.
SDST 0.97c2-R4d has its own netgameversion, and so is not compatible with previous clients/servers.

I still dont have proper access to my database, so had to update the database using a series of php scripts (bleh).

BurningCadavre said:

Found what was causing the rocket crashes.

http://i387.photobucket.com/albums/oo319/BurningCadavre/particlestylesmooth.png

It's the particle style. If you change it to anything but smooth the game crashes when rockets are fired, it apparently doesn't like squares. Otherwise, nothing seems to be broken.

ah yes, thanks. This is a bug I never ended up fixing from gzdoom 1.0.29. Its mentioned in the 'Known Problems' section of the FAQ page, but it probably needs to be more prominent.

Argh! Something happened on Monster Condo and the exit trigger was broken, yes, an exit trigger that doesn't end the level. Running through it back and forth didn't do anything, despite showing the gold text that you passed. This freaky glitch didn't happen before on my last run, this "bug" shouldn't even be technically possible.

http://i387.photobucket.com/albums/oo319/BurningCadavre/DOOM0001.png

Thankfully, the changemap command didn't set me to offline mode.

EDIT: WTF? http://i387.photobucket.com/albums/oo319/BurningCadavre/Untitled1.png

BurningCadavre said:

Argh! Something happened on Monster Condo and the exit trigger was broken, yes, an exit trigger that doesn't end the level. Running through it back and forth didn't do anything, despite showing the gold text that you passed. This freaky glitch didn't happen before on my last run, this "bug" shouldn't even be technically possible.

http://i387.photobucket.com/albums/oo319/BurningCadavre/DOOM0001.png

Thankfully, the changemap command didn't set me to offline mode.

Sorry about that, I'm thinking this is due to the hi score server being down/sluggish, as today I've been doing some clean up of the data on the hi score php/mysql, since I messed up one of the import scripts. I'm betting this was freaky timing as it looks like you were connecting around the time I was working on the server.

The SD client talks to the server on level exit, as well as on level start, and if the server is 'down' there will be a delay of about 15 seconds or more, and the client will report the server down. Curious, how long did you wait for?

Please let me know if it happens again.

The hi score data on the server looks to be all restored now, but I did lose some data on the 'regular w. no-infighting' 'Doom II (w. add-on pack)' level hi score table.

Waited for a short time and then I used the changemap command to go to MAP28.

No big deal on the add-on pack, to be honest I'm not actually that big of a fan of how it plays, as opposed to back in May when I tried out ScoreDoom for the first time. Now it just feels like an extremely cluttered mess. But you did say somewhere that the pack is customizable?

BurningCadavre said:

Waited for a short time and then I used the changemap command to go to MAP28.

No big deal on the add-on pack, to be honest I'm not actually that big of a fan of how it plays, as opposed to back in May when I tried out ScoreDoom for the first time. Now it just feels like an extremely cluttered mess. But you did say somewhere that the pack is customizable?

Yes, the add-on pack content is customizable. You can get more info on the 'FAQ' page on scoredoom.com, under 'Some Common Questions & Tips' and the 'scoredoom FAQ' links.

What is it specifically that makes this version's add-on pack feel like 'an extremely cluttered mess' compared to the other version?

I've been doing a lot of playing the last few days, and I will be updating scoredoom and it's add-on pack again, so any feedback is welcome.

Power ups just sort of seem to be tossed here and there, and many of them often overpower the player (I realize there is over one hundred extra enemies but even they have been balanced [most anyway]) and the enemy placement also seems haphazard and all over the place. I've noticed no real concentration of certain enemy types rather than if there's 20 Imps in a room it's going to be anything but an Imp or if it is an Imp it's going to be anything but the original Imp. The originals still show up obviously but it just feels way too random, I get that AEoD feeling from it. And then there's the non-Doom-looking enemies like Duke3D, but I can disable those myself so it's no big deal if others like them.

@BurningCadavre - Personally, I didn't mind the randomness of the enemy replacement things (well, most of the time anyway, but a little more on that later.), as I really don't mind a lot of the enemies... though in that enemy guide I made for this mod, there are a few exceptions. Oh, and the powerups, I'm starting to become a little more geared towards saving up powerups for the situations that I need them the most. (And, in the case of those really tough slaughtermaps... quite a lot, actually.)

I made the add-on pack configurable since some players (including myself) will want their own custom configs. Of course the default add-on pack config/content simply reflects my own opinion of what would be cool replacements for default Doom critters.

My main concern is the game-play balance with the default add-on pack config for online hi scoring. I played through 10sector.wad (awesome wad, well recommended), and some other 'harder than regular doom' levels, and I was pretty happy with the balance. Though perhaps a little less extra health & artifact drops I think. (There were times when I was very happy for the drops, like the end of MAP29 in 10sectors.)
I had recently increased the drop rate marginally, I think I preferred it as before.

The only con to customizing the pack is you cannot record a score with it unless it's using the default configuration.

Still, I might get used to the pack over time, since it's honestly not as bad as I was making it out to be back there, I've only had a couple of (short) test runs.

After a lot of play-testing, ScoreDoom updated to 2.9e and ScoredoomST updated to 0.97c2-R4e.
Grab updates from scoredoom.com.

Patch releases: Many small add-on pack tweaks & fixes, as well as:

ScoreDoom
-Much better replacement/drop randomization now.
-sd_bossrush console variable has been moved to sdcustom.ini
-new compatflag 'Force Monster Blocking'. For better wad add-on pack support (e.g. MAP10 of
10sector.wad).

ScoreDoomST
-new compatflag 'Force Monster Blocking'. For better wad add-on pack support (e.g. MAP10 of
10sector.wad).

-Net version was increased again, due to add-on pack differences.
So all clients and servers will need ScoredoomST 0.97c2-R4e to play together.

----

EDIT: also,
New wads added to the hi score tables:

Vae Victus (vv.wad - 7 levels)
Vae Victus 2 (vv.wad - 7 levels)
EPIC (EPIC.WAD - 5 levels)
EPIC 2 (EPIC2.WAD - 32 levels)
Doom 2 Reloaded (D2RELOAD.WAD - 32 levels)

Lol, I forgot to remove an add-on pack config setting whereby the powerups spawn too often in 2.9e. So I updated again to a 2.9f patch. I would only recommend this if you play with the add-on pack *and* want to take on the hi-score leader-boards.

Even so, if you downloaded 2.9e and want to play on the leaderboards with the add-on pack, just replacing the 2.9e sd_custom.ini with this one will work:
http://www.scoredoom.com/sdcustom.ini.txt

no need to download 2.9f ;-)

Currently, I'm playing through Epic 2 as I needed a break from the slaughter megawads. However, I liked that I could now use four nuke shots instead of two when I have the backpack. (It'll be twice as useful when I play the two Hell Revealed megawads yet again.

Edit: I'm currently stuck at the start of Map14, as I can't get past the forcefield.

gun_psycho said:

Currently, I'm playing through Epic 2 as I needed a break from the slaughter megawads. However, I liked that I could now use four nuke shots instead of two when I have the backpack. (It'll be twice as useful when I play the two Hell Revealed megawads yet again.

Edit: I'm currently stuck at the start of Map14, as I can't get past the forcefield.

hmmn, wondering if this might require a compatflags fix. I have not played that map so far. I recently added a new 'force monster blocking' compatflag specifically for the add-on pack, since points bunnies and scientists can trigger lines that monsters should not, which can cause some maps like MAP10 of 10sectors to be impossible to finish.

edit: you need to set compatflags=8192 for map14 & map15. I would load up a save game from MAP13, set the compatlags there and enter map14 again if possible. I will update the hi score server db when I get some time.

-----

EDIT: Updated to 2.9g. You will need this for online hi scoring. Includes a 'fix' for ATI users getting ini shader crashes on startup.

SDST updated to R4f. netgameversion updated as well.

The first Deus Vult is pretty much impossible to complete in no infighting mode, but the furthest I got up to fairly was the first spiderdemon arena and I promptly got trounced there. (In regular mode, I couldn't get past the first arena in map03.)

Edit: I tried DV without the addon pack, and I still couldn't get past the first wave of map03. (Stupid Archies)

gun_psycho said:

The first Deus Vult is pretty much impossible to complete in no infighting mode, but the furthest I got up to fairly was the first spiderdemon arena and I promptly got trounced there. (In regular mode, I couldn't get past the first arena in map03.)

Edit: I tried DV without the addon pack, and I still couldn't get past the first wave of map03. (Stupid Archies)

Wow, DV sounds tough. One of the many famous wads I haven't played through properly.

I wanted to get some SDST co-op games coordinated over Christmas, but was too busy. Probably next month some time I will try and get some games going, and maybe have DV as one of the wads to pay through.

Ok, but since college has just started on my end, I'm gonna be busy studying... but I'll try to beat Epic 2 and many other megawads in between study periods.

Edit: The one thing that bugged me about the drones is that they never seem to descend; they just stay at a certain height elevation, so it makes it really annoying to kill them when they're too high up to hit properly.

Edit 2: I finally fully completed Epic 2, and holy shit were the last few maps (the ones before map30, anyways) hard, especially Map29. Oh, and I also forgot to mention that the hammerhound's debris falls way too slowly.

can'ts seem to get the newest version to work for me. First, it didn't work with pk smoother weapons, didn't want to work with lights and brightmaps pk3 either. Basically had to take off all the file I like to autoload. But when it does finally start, the textures are all screwwy and I get lines of black constantly moving around the screen.

Brewtal_Legend said:

can'ts seem to get the newest version to work for me. First, it didn't work with pk smoother weapons, didn't want to work with lights and brightmaps pk3 either. Basically had to take off all the file I like to autoload. But when it does finally start, the textures are all screwwy and I get lines of black constantly moving around the screen.

Did these same add-ons work with older versions of scoredoom? Did you also update the add-ons themselves? Did you update your video card/hardware or drivers? What are your specs? Make sure that you install the latest version into a completely new directory as well.
Please note that DECORATE + other new features in add-on content supported by current zdoom & gzdoom engines *may* not be supported by scoredoom, since the codebase is from an older gzdoom engine.

I haven't added anything in the latest versions that should break stuff that worked already.

I've started work on a new patch release (+ extras) for SD & SDST, as I've found an exploit for scoring in SD that needed to be fixed, so this is good timing, since I'm relatively motivated to look into it :-)

Yeah, they did work with the older version of scoredoom I was using. Unfortunately, I'm not sure which version it was. I have not updated or changed my graphics card/drivers since the last time I played and they are up to date.

I'm running xp. I got it to run after removing those add-ons from loding globally, but had graphics problems with seeing thick black spaces on the walls. They moved erratically as I moved the view.

I'll very likely resume my scoredoom run on the Newdoom Community Project megawad this week.

After that, I'll start on NDCP 2 and then Herian 2 before I start on Plutonia 2.

@Megamur - That's only if you run it with the add-on pack, and powerups are added to the mix as well. With or without the add-on pack, four of the standard weapons have secondary fire modes.

Now I'm interested. It'd be nice to play E1 & E2 with some sort of challenge again.

In the future, a way to convert save games from the previous to the new version of Scoredoom would be much appreciated.