Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Gingercat

PrBoom-plus's WalkCam

Using PrBoom Plus 2.4.8.5, watching Icarus 100%-kills demos, using the ever-awesome WalkCam to go for a stroll and look at things not normally viewable (as you do). Noticed something interesting (that a forum search doesn't immediately highlight as having been discussed) - WalkCam reveals the AutoMap. Specifically, whatever the Cam sees will appear as updated map data, whether it's attached to the player or off on its own. It doesn't seem to interact in any other ways (which I realise is its point, of course).

I just find it interesting that the game tracks (during a demo at least) everything that the viewer has seen, regardless of whether they're attached to the main player or not. Normally they'd have no choice but to be, but with the Cam they can go where they like... And reveal the map by doing so. However, the Cam itself doesn't appear on the map - Only the player does, so it's strange that the game tracks the Cam's vision and not the player's.

Maybe this seems a bit "Well duh" to some, since LMP's don't track the map themselves I suppose, but maybe some folks haven't noticed this.

Yeah linedefs are marked as "seen" (for the automap) while the player view is rendered. To make it otherwise would not really be worth the effort, extra code and small loss of efficiency.

Ahhh. Makes sense. Thanks for the insight!

I find it fascinating in general, having a little bit of an idea how things function under the hood (so to speak). I've got limited experience in programming in C++, so I know / surmise just enough to get me into trouble ;)

Very much "I wonder what happens if...?" - Good fun!

entryway said:

PrBoom does not use C++. It's C.

Sure; I never said otherwise. My point was simply that I enjoy programming insights when I receive them, either when debugging my own programs or finding out stuff about someone else's.

If you're really interested in how DOOM works you should download its source code :) Of course, that takes out some of the fun mystery. When I play now, it's like I see the code instead of the game :P

I did have a bit of a look :) Which is where I saw the buggy code for the "that you really need!" message for a direly needed Medikit, and for the OUCH face... But I've never had a really good pick through it.

It's a bit ironic that you see it in terms of code instead of an entertainment source now :P "Hm, that's a tracking Revenant missile, so the game tic must have been odd..." [or even, I can't remember heh].