Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
traversd

Nostalgia Station

Hi All,

I started making a map for a bit of personal nostalgia the other week and hopefully it's now ready for a bit of public consumption. Many thanks to the people on wadsinprogress.info for their feedback :o)

Hopefully there isn't any show stoppers or muck-ups in it. I did most of my play testing in GZDoom, and did some earlier play testing in Doomsday, ZDoom and Doom95. Everything seems ok although Doomsday doesn't handle non-textured linedefs all that well - GZDoom highly recommended :o)

Many thanks,

Travers
- t"at"underworldgamers.com

Nostalgia Station --> http://t.underworldgamers.com/files/t_nostalgia.zip

A Doom base-style map for Doom2. Lava outside and crates inside. A mix of Doom and Doom2 monsters and a couple of keys.

Tested with Risen3D and enjoyed this map. :)

Things noted using this port...

1) Skywall problem near sector 150. The ceiling height does not need to be 448. It can be 320 without problems.

2) Missing front side lower texture on line 1947 - step5

3) IMO sector 166 would look better with a ceiling height of 448 to match surrounds.

Hey, some good stuff you show off! I played on skill 1 (on ZDoom) and the only thing I can criticise is the light level in the area around sector 380 (it is the area in your second picture). I would not use light level 0 there.

Well done, now: make more !!!111

Thanks for the feedback guys. I fixed the missing tex on linedef 1947 and have dropped sector 150's ceiling. I did all texture work in Slade's 3D mode and missed them :o)

Re: point 3 of Hawkwind's, I was wanting to get the linedefs of the adjacent sectors to be visible above the lower ceiling height so that they extend into the distance and don't stop so harshly. The way you see it is a compromise :o) I've since gone in and had another attempt to get the look but in the end raised it to 448 *L*

Re: 0 light in the blue armour hallway. I chose that so that it was in part a hidden area, but also to create contrast for the spectres. There is also a hidden nook with an imp and a medkit which I think would lose it's effect if you could see it.

I've also made one last (I hope) update to the area seen in pic4. I found that if you rushed in you would not have the door close on you and you could then rush out and be stuck on the outside. You can still rush in, but the door closes 'fast' now instead of normal speed.

The zip file has been updated to include the above changes.

Thanks again,

Travers

Pretty cool, though it's hard not to run low on ammo once the final arch-viles start resurrecting monsters.

I did have a little problem while playing. Some of the monsters did not seem to react until shot. This is because the REJECT lump is messed up. The node builder you are using seems to be inserting a 0-size REJECT in there.

I can't tell you how much I love this map.

Is the intention at the end to be able to kill all the Arch-Viles, though? Even if I had survived more than 30 seconds, I don't think I would have had anywhere near enough ammo.

Hi Nick - Yep, Travers here. It's good to see some familiar user names :o)

Have you still been making maps etc all this time?

Re: The reject lump - I'm not sure. Which monsters needed shooting? I'm using Slade v2.0 and looking at it now it is using a built in nodebuilder (zdbsp).

Re: The final 'trap' - The baron is there to 1: make you shoot and unleash the horde, and 2: serve as a roadblock and make the player face the horde. I guess the original intention was for the player to then kill the baron as quickly as possible before the horde takes over completely. Early versions had between 0 and 2 AV's for the player to contend with - the first having the AV come out of the immediate teleporter next to the player and throw them down to the level start (At the time I had blocked off the other exits).

I removed alot of monsters in the 'horde closet' in favour of those that would drop ammo. So hopefully, given the amount of sargeants and HWD, on UV if the player makes a run out of the exit area for cover they will be able to collect ammo through the resurrection of these enemies (originally I had caco's lots of HK's and demons which really made it hard not throw your gun at them for ammo!).

I'll look to upgrade some of the ammo packs toward the end of the map so that on UV the player has a bit more stock.

Myk: Could you let me know what monsters were deaf and blind ;o) I'll fix that up as well.

Thanks,

Travers

It was various monsters, many in the crate maze. I was using Doom2 to play (a hacked version that raises limits) although the issue should also affect PrBoom in Doom compatibility mode. Various source ports ignore the REJECT when it's messed up or blank and aren't affected by this.

That node builder you use does have a couple of REJECT options. See here. By default, it uses -r, adding a 0-byte lump (it's empty). Using -R (full REJECT with all zeros) should solve the issue, which I'd recommend for any level that's just limit-removing, when using ZDBSP. I haven't checked, but Slade may have an entry for the node builder command-line in its CFG, where you can add the parameter (-R).

Thanks Myk,

I've found RMB30 and built the REJECT table using the -PERFECT option. Hopefully that helps source ports like the one your using.

I also noticed one of the caco's was waking up prematurely due to missing block sound on a few linedefs and fixed this.

Additionally I tweaked one of the 'closets' in the crate area. Originally I guided the monsters out of this closet to the player using a block monster. I've now setup a small raise/lower combo to direct them. this way other monsters are not affected earlier by the linedef flag.

And I've added a touch more ammo near the end :o)

The file download has been updated with these updates.

Thanks,

Travers

Really nice map. You fight and suddenly you're surrounded by demons and you run and run to find a place to make a stand but it just makes things worse. Booyaka. :p

I never found the Rocket Launcher or Plasma Rifle so I completed it with just the shotgun and chaingun.

The map had a good layout that allowed the demons to move around most of the level without them all getting stuck at choke points.

It was also good idea to use Doom2 monsters individually without giving a DB Shotgun (which isn't a set up you see much of these days). Which is kind of how they were used in the original game, except you were given the DB Shotgun (obviously ID weren’t not going to use the games new weapon :p).

I might shift a box of shells or two from behind the red door to before to tweak ammo balance though.

This map does look "nostalgic" and caught my attention from another thread - I like the light/brownish textures and open feel to everything (in the screenshots at least) - it is very reminiscent of original Doom. I'll play it as soon as I can copy it to a real computer (cuz this one sucks)!

Neat map, but imo here SHOULD be ssg (at least in the room with exit switch).

Btw, Travers - I played T_DUNN wads few months ago, and enjoyed them greatly. Good to see your comeback! :)

t_nostalgia.wad what a fucking shitty level.

hahaha! let's put a bunch of hitscan bitch motherfuckers and no armor! ahhaha! aren't we clever! fucking shit crap motherfucking level.

the layout and monster placement are awesome.

fucking shitty level.

Hellbent said:

hahaha! let's put a bunch of hitscan bitch motherfuckers and no armor! ahhaha! aren't we clever! fucking shit crap motherfucking level.

fucking shitty level.

Huh :/

I didn't notice this, I'll give it a play.

Hellbent said:

fucking shitty level.

What the hell is wrong with you?

Khorus said:

What the hell is wrong with you?

nothing, i died a lot that's all. If it wasn't the chaingunners, it was the shotgunners. If it wasn't the shotgunners it was the former humans. If it wasn't the former humans it was bitches in the club [/drunk posting]

*L* Yeah, it's actually a fair point HB.

TBH I haven't posted this to the archive yet because as I've re-learned mapping (and now learned new stuff too) I've done more work on this map. I've applied a lot of boom types and some voodoo dolls.

You'll be happy to know there is a green armour for your dispensation here --> http://t.underworldgamers.com/wp-content/uploads/nostalgia-GA.jpg

Just before you have to have unpleasant discussions with some chaingunners.

I've expanded the map by about one third with a fairly linear (am looking to change this) path to get a blue key that activates the exit switch.

Cheers,
Travers

traversd said:
*L* Yeah, it's actually a fair point HB.

TBH I haven't posted this to the archive yet because as I've re-learned mapping (and now learned new stuff too) I've done more work on this map. I've applied a lot of boom types and some voodoo dolls.

You'll be happy to know there is a green armour for your dispensation here --> http://t.underworldgamers.com/wp-content/uploads/nostalgia-GA.jpg

Well, from what I recall the difficulty was challenging but not frustrating, so maybe you should add some monsters to go with it :p

It's unclear whether Hellbent was playing on UV. If he was, then he should be ignored or ridiculed unless he's ultra-skilled, which I doubt, from what I remember of the level. That said, make sure the three difficulty settings are well-defined so less hardy players can take on easy or medium comfortably enough.

I know I'm pulling this out from the grave, and I'm sorry because I already posted in this thread (but it was a half arsed one liner post anyway, heh). The second run I had in playing this map was even better than the first! Really enjoying this level, great old school feelng and fast gameplay packed with tons of action... basically everything I love about DooM!

And have you submitted it to the archives yet? I can see it got put into the "rejection list" because the file name was too long. Anyway, once it gets accepted I'd like to have a shot at reviewing it.

Thanks again for such an awesome level! Keep making more please. :)

Huh, someone must have submitted it on my behalf since it hadn't been uploaded.

After I've (hopefully) finished my map for the 1994 pack I'll complete and submit the update of this map.

Travers

Dude this was brilliant.

The start took a few goes due to hitscanners and lack of armor though the challenge was not too annoying. The action was fairly slow-paced but in a good scary "survival horror" way than a "fucking boring" way so good work there. I shit my pants when that lift to the first Baron went down :P Your secrets were nicely hidden and rewarding. At first I thought a little too overpowering, though for the final battle I wanted all I could get. That AV down the bottom almost fucked me up. UV Max with 127% kills and 4% health :P

The only criticism I have is that the Red Key closet trap was very predictable and too easy to break the monsters up into smaller groups and lead them down the stairs away from the others. I probably would have placed the Soulsphere and Blue Armor a little later, maybe not even used either at all.

Also your automap secret is given away by the presence of a purple line on PrB automap. Unsure if that's intentional or not.