Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
pashanoid

question on level 10

Sorry to post this, but I've searched and search and tried and tried... I've collected all the keys and I'm unable to find an exit out of level 10 - Refueling Station. Please help. My version of freedoom is freedoom-0.5-3.fc8
Is there an exit? Is there a way to get out of areas that seem to have no exit?

ok, thank you. could you please direct me to an area that deals with how to use a wad.zip file? what do I do with it? where do I put it? should I unzip it? or should I replace the /usr/share/doom/freedoom.wad file with this zip file? thanks and sorry for these "dumb" questions...

Ok, I downloaded the doom2.wad.zip file and unzipped it to /usr/share/doom/freedoom.wad and saw your gameplay... Was that what I was supposed to do?
really great gameplay, however, has nothing to do with level 10 -- I havent gotten to this area, and I cant seem to find it...

Hello,
I'm stuck in level 13 or 14 now, there is this seat (looks like an outhouse) and I'm supposed to press the skull there and run like hell to another area where a skull is hidden behind a wooden self closing door... I'm going crazy trying to make it, but I'm unable to do so... any suggestions?

I tried and tried to outrun that door delay and after 20 tries
found out that when you push the button, it only activates another door and you have to run again, which you cannot do because you do not even know where the second door is. So you end up retrying this from a save games about 20 x 20 times to get one success. What fun.

You end up having to cheat, which I consider to be a flaw in the game.

I do NOT think this is a playable door delay setting. The player should at least have a chance to wander around and SEE the door that the switch opened. With quickly closing doors, you are forced to use a walkthrough, or cheat, to even know why you are stuck. Again, not fun, not a challenge, just tedious.
Only a few twitchy fingered speed demons (13-17 year olds with lots of time) could ever finish the level, every one else gets frustrated, what fun is that.

I patched Legacy to solve this problem, available in the Legacy patch forum (you got to compile it from source code). The patch creates a control that changes ALL door delays by a selectable factor,
x0.9, x1, x1.2, x1.5, x2, if I remember right.
So you can set it to what you can achieve. My fingers are 57 years old so I use x1.5. The downside of it is that ALL doors are affected, including lifts, so you have to wait sometimes for a lift to go up.
It gives you an incentive to not turn the control too far. But it is much better than trying to compare my finger speed to what a sugar-crazed teenager can do.

As you can probably tell, this is one of my #1 peeves with FreeDoom
design principles. It is not the only place in FreeDoom that has this problem.

Well, you know, I finally made it. It took me like 500 times to do so and master "running" using the run button. So, it actually works. But very hard to do so. Didn't use any cheats...

I, too, unzipped the doom2.wad into the /usr/share/doom directory and it changed nothing
I'm using Freedoom 0.6.2 and either the exit is completely hidden or it isn't there as I've climbed a set of stairs, entered a room with a door that won't open and pressed every panel, object to try and find an exit and ... nada
I've been stuck in there for 2 days

saywot said:

I, too, unzipped the doom2.wad into the /usr/share/doom directory and it changed nothing
I'm using Freedoom 0.6.2 and either the exit is completely hidden or it isn't there as I've climbed a set of stairs, entered a room with a door that won't open and pressed every panel, object to try and find an exit and ... nada
I've been stuck in there for 2 days

Try unzipping elsewhere and running your doom program with "-iwad path/to/unzipped/doom2.wad" to be absolutely sure you are using the new IWAD.

I agree that the level with the fast door switch and the hard run is too hard. The levels are not set in stone: freedoom is an open project. Everyone is welcome to submit an adjusted level that does not suffer this problem.

Switch moved closer. Will be in daily builds in a day or two.
http://free.doomers.org/

I specifically tested the original far switch only holding forward and using mouse, no sr-40/sr-50. It was a very close race but doable. I guess keyboard only wont work as well.