Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
exp(x)

Computer Speakers?

Does anyone have any recommendations for 5.1 computer speakers under $100? Excessive voltage from an old power supply fried the amplifier board on my stereo speakers, so I'm now confined to using headphones. I've wanted surround sound for a while, but could never justify buying new speakers.

Here are the two I am considering:
Creative Inspire T6100
Logitech X-540

I'd buy whatever I could find at Alex Pak for less than Eur. 50 anyway. I'm still going with a pair of 2.1 speakers I got from LIDL in 2003, and they are still going strong.

Between the two...well...the 80 dB SNR of the CL doesn't sound very hi-fi, otherwise they are pretty much the same.

IMO, Logitech has been reliable for me. I have a X-530 5.1 speaker system plugged in for more than 4 years, never let me down. Creative is also a good quality brand. I would suggest you to search for the reviews of each of the models, and see which one caters more to your taste (bassy sounds, higher frequency, all the smallish differences etc.)

I would go the logitech X-540 myself.

I would go for the Logitech ones as well. My parents have the 2.1 version which sound really good. I've seen and heard the 5.1 version in an local store and have wanted them ever since.

I am sitting right next to the Logi X-540 right now, and I must say, from my experience, these are the way to go.

Awesome bass, epic volume (33% on software and 25% approx on hardware volume levels makes people complain, I can only imagine full volume).

Also, very little distortion at decent volumes, unless I engage "Matrix Mode" or w/e they called it, supposedly to play music equally from all speakers, but just ends up getting all warbly (not saying the speakers are bad, just the feature).

Maes said:

Between the two...well...the 80 dB SNR of the CL doesn't sound very hi-fi, otherwise they are pretty much the same.

If the computer they're attached to is producing more than 30dB of fan noise the S/N ratio becomes pretty much irrelevant. Besides - at that price point no-one should expect hi-fi performance.

GreyGhost said:

If the computer they're attached to is producing more than 30dB of fan noise the S/N ratio becomes pretty much irrelevant. Besides - at that price point no-one should expect hi-fi performance.

Why not? 80 dB is considered the bare minimum for "HiFi" performance, and it's achievable by mini hifi systems that also include a tuner, CD or even a cassette deck, apart from speakers (few of them have line-in inputs though...damn).

Also, don't confuse the dB used in a SnR ratio with the "perceived loudness" dB, they are two totally unrelated things.