Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Bucket

Quake Live

Time to crawl out from under that rock you've been hiding. Quake Live is the latest release from Id. It's a completely free version of Quake3 and Quake3 team arena that you play through your browser.

First thoughts - Pretty damn sweet. Doesn't play quite the same as the original Q3, but the way it works and looks is pretty impressive.

I could get addicted to this

I only asked because when I checked the link before the launch, there was no information so I didn't know. Now I see it's a free Quake3 in a browser, I see it now.

I used to play Quake3 then stopped after a while, only to sell the CD to someone.

"You are in line"
"Position in queue: 28722"

Heh. Not surprising it's busy as it's only just launched, but wow.

//Edit

And about an hour later:
"Position in queue: 14722"

Hm, I've never had to wait very long to get in in these two days.

Farthest behind in the line I've ever ended up was 11000 and it dropped pretty fast.
Usually I get 3000 and then I'm in in maybe 5 minutes.

Maybe it's taken a day or two for the word to spread and it might also be a peak time now with most of europe probably getting home from work and settling down in front of the monitor, heh.

//Edit

Great, queued for ages to install it and now I get to queue again for even longer to play it, heh.

Position in queue: 42423

Think I'll leave it a week or so to quiet down a bit.

I signed on late at night and found a max of 300 people in the queue. Second time that night, there were only 87 people in the queue, but that was at around 4 AM.

I'll pass since there's no Linux version. On the other hand, I can play the actual Quake III Arena just fine on Linux (yay ioquake3).

Got through the death queue and finally registered. It's pretty slick, and the minor enhancements are nice.

I got into the beta a couple months ago after waiting for almost a year. I haven't played it in a while but hearing this I'll probably wait until it cools down before I log on again.

I've been playing it today for a few hours and I am really impressed with it. It's not too laggy from some of the matches I played.

EDIT: It's too bad the stats stuff is disabled for now.

I don't see why they could have released Quake 3 for free instead. Good concept, but flash?

Mr. Chris said:

I don't see why they could have released Quake 3 for free instead. Good concept, but flash?

It's not flash foo. And technically Quake3 is free. The source is free and people made games from that. Like OpenArena that is a FreeQuake3 like FreeDoom is to Doom.

And I fail to see any obvious gameplay difference between Q3 and QL. It's essentially the same game.