Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Lich

Bobbing/floating sectors/objects in liquid

Okay, I've lurked on the forums here and on the ZDoom forums to try and find out an answer to this, as well as a Google search. So I'm giving up and I'm just going to ask you guys. Apologies if you've answered this a gazillion times.

In Cyb's wad Void, there are segments where floors seem to be bobbing. I've seen this effect in other wads that simulate a floor bobbing/floating in liquid I believe, but I'm hard pressed to remember what ones.

I'm curious to know if there's any sort of tutorial that covers this. Is it a sector property? ACS scripting effect? Poly object? A combination of these? I'd like to add it to Gorgoroth, but I don't know what I would begin to search for.

Thanks in advance,
-j

EarthQuake said:

Haha that is so fuckin' awesome. =D

Quoted for truth.

Thanks for the help, dudes!

Isle said:

floor waggle is cool
[img]

Hell yes. Oddly reminds me of a Like-Like from LOZ.

EDIT: Can't...stop...watching...

I think I remember Duke 3d doing it too, with the water, like in E1L5, when you get out of the submarine and onto the surface, you'll see the water bob up and down.

And to Isle... Please send me the map! It looks so cool! My eyes are being relaxed looking at the GIF image alone!

Dgon92 said:

I think I remember Duke 3d doing it too, with the water, like in E1L5, when you get out of the submarine and onto the surface, you'll see the water bob up and down.

And to Isle... Please send me the map! It looks so cool! My eyes are being relaxed looking at the GIF image alone!

Yes. This. I'd like to get a copy of that WAD file to mess around with.

Lich said:

... I'd like to get a copy of that WAD file to mess around with.

While it looks quite spectacular, it is very simple to achieve.

/*
Floor_Waggle (tag, amp, freq, offset, time)

tag   : Tag of affected sector 
amp   : Amplitude of the waggle (in 1/8 of a unit) 
freq  : Frequency of the waggle
        higher frequency = faster waggle
offset: Phase offset of the waggle 
time  : How many seconds the waggle lasts
        0 seconds =  waggle forever
*/

#include "zcommon.acs"

SCRIPT 1 OPEN

{
	for(int sid = 1; sid < 44; sid++) // sid is sector id
    {
		Floor_Waggle ( sid, 200, 50, 0, 0);
		delay (7); 
    }
 }
The tedious part is to construct all those circular sectors.

I'm wondering if sectors can somehow be stacked to perform the same movement. I am guessing probably not, but what I mean is an object such as an alienish tree, consisting of sectors stacked on top of each other in sort of a spade shape. The top half could wiggle with sector shapes changing in a horizontal size-of-sector sort of way. The center of this animated gif appears to resemble what the top of the tree would look like. Perhaps this is the only part necessary. Either or, the trees would probably look pretty dumb. Full sets of mountain structure performing the same deeds would look cool.

I'm wondering about a room with 10x10 sets of these floor waggles done in squares. having different enemies upon it would probably look pretty sweet if the enemies have to move along with the floor waggles. unfortunately some may act funny on the seperation of sectors if they normally don't walk along stairways. I can't think of enemies that don't. Demons?

Thirdly, a set of waves moving upward... Like a stair of 100 steps where gradually the waves are set to have different floors before wave occurs, possibly making the waves gradually make a slope upward the player can travel. -- maybe with sectors set to move player somehow at the same speed or similar speed.

edit: i hate when i'm the last poster and its rather long and irrelevant.