Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
KuriKai

Doomsday 1.9.0-beta-6 Released

The Doomsday development team have finally released doomsday 1.9 beta-6 after just over two years since the release of beta-5. It's available for Windows, MacOSX and Linux. You can download it here, and you can read the change log here.

Direct3D dropped, huh? no support for previous nodes, either? Huh. (Why even build nodes at all anymore?)

Eh, there's always the last version. Kudos to the team though for the first port that actulaly made doom look "real".

edit: I noted this:

"Map building API allows plugins to construct new maps dynamically at runtime. "

Whoaaaaa.

Csonicgo said:
"Map building API allows plugins to construct new maps dynamically at runtime. "

Whoaaaaa. [/B]

Oh neat. Kinda like Cube/Sauerbraten, right?

Ultimately, yes. Right now though, there is no fancy 3D editing interface built on top of that API. However, I do already have a version of Slige which works as a Doomsday plugin waiting in the wings for a future release.

DaniJ said:

Ultimately, yes. Right now though, there is no fancy 3D editing interface built on top of that API. However, I do already have a version of Slige which works as a Doomsday plugin waiting in the wings for a future release.

you mean you managed to get through that jumble of code? did you reorganize it?

DaniJ said:

This is really exciting. I've been waiting for these kinds of features for a long time. Fine work!

Csonicgo said:

You mean you managed to get through that jumble of code? did you reorganize it?

This is what I was alluding to when I posted a few months back, when somebody asked about using the Slige src for something...

I ripped out all of the IO, the WAD/lump management and a bunch of other stuff then ported in bits of my old SCUDD codebase (before the rewrite it was based on Slige) and then spent a fair bit of time fixing a number of issues.

Anyways, I'm not sure if I'll even release that plugin at this point because I only did it as an acid test for Doomsday's map building API (I wrote a console script that would loop forever; build new map, load map, save progress, repeat) and I do still intend to continue my SCUDD project at some point. Except now, I could write it in a plugin-form.

Having support for only OpenGL means I probably won't use it, because Windows 7 has decided that OpenGL means "flash black screens every other frame."

ler said:

Having support for only OpenGL means I probably won't use it, because Windows 7 has decided that OpenGL means "flash black screens every other frame."

Or maybe that Windows 7 is not finished yet? Haven't we heard the same story when Vista was in the beta stages, too?

And BTW, no self respecting open source project should ever shoot itself in the foot and support D3D.

Graf Zahl said:

And BTW, no self respecting open source project should ever shoot itself in the foot and support D3D.

Or FMOD. :P

Unlike D3D, FMOD is neither platform specific nor developed by a company with a specific agenda to monopolize the market.

I can't run snowberry. I get this error in the log file:

WindowsError: [Error 3] Systemet finner ikke angitt bane: 'C:\\Users\\Tor\\My Documents\\Doomsday Frontend'

("Systemet finner ikke angitt bane" means system can't find given location")

Also I have norwegian vista home premium 32.

Thats a known issue in the launcher under Vista and one which will be fixed in the next point release but for now, simply create that named folder yourself.

DaniJ said:

However, I do already have a version of Slige which works as a Doomsday plugin waiting in the wings for a future release.

Whenever you move out of LOS, a bunch of sectors get deleted, and where you move into LOS new ones are created. You'll never visit the same area again, automap is futile, as is your memory. Gotta be fun. :-)