Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Brandon D. Lade

Is it ever faster to go to the secret exit?

Just curious here - do any of you know of any Doom maps (either original game or in addons) containing a secret exit where the level can be completed in less time using the secret exit than it can be finished in using the regular exit? (Without cheating, of course.) If so, what are (at least some of) those maps?

Pretty sure you can beat e1m3 faster with the secret exit than the normal one, though I've never tested this.

I think e2m5's exit is faster than the normal.
Map15 of course too.

eternall map20 has two exits, but they both lead to map21. I don't know which exit is the "normal" one, but you can finish the map faster by using one of them. Though, if you're trying a max run, the faster exit gets blocked off when you walk over a line in the red key area(?), so you have to use the other exit.

Csonicgo said:

off topic but there's a map in wolf3d that's secret exit can be reached in under 10 seconds.

Which one? Episode 2 Level 1? (That's my guess; E2 of Wolfenstein is the "mutant" episode.) That secret level (E2L10) can also be completed extremely quickly, but exploring it gives you lots of treasure.

Also, FYI, in Wolf3d I believe you can complete Episode 5 Level 5 quicker by using the secret exit on that level (it is behind a pushwall or two in the grey stone area in that map and you only need one key; you need both keys for the regular exit). And since someone said Map31 of Doom 2 is the same length regardless of exit, I would assume that Wolfenstein's Episode 1 Map 1 is also equal length for both exits.

Also, interesting to know that there's quite a few such cases (or at least possible ones) in the original Doom games. But can you find any such cases in extras (think megawads)? That would be real interesting.

Icarus map15 secret exit and then map31 normal exit is faster than map15 normal exit. Unless there are some additional tricks I don't know about.

Doom2 map15 is a very obvious example, but I recall some discussion (by Xit Vono, I think) that possibly, with really optimal play (prob. TAS or built), this might not be so clear-cut, and that map15 normal exit might actually be quicker (than map15 secret and map31 normal). Until someone demonstrates that in a demo, it remains just an interesting theory.

A bit of research would surely throw up further examples in pwads. The DSDA would be the natural place to start.

Brandon D. Lade said:

Which one? Episode 2 Level 1?

yeah, I think that's the one.

heh, I really wish doom had kept the treasures, but, after DoomII, who's gonna buy all that stuff?