Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Brandon D. Lade

It's been a busy year so far, so what's best of '09 to this point?

What is the best SP Doom release of calendar year 2009 so far (through February)?  

32 members have voted

1. 1. What is the best SP Doom release of calendar year 2009 so far (through February)?

• Titan 2
    • Da Will
    • High/Low 3
    • Der Wahnsinn - The Insanity
    • Tribute - This is not the best wad in the world.
    • Plutonia 2
    • Map Set #1
    • Congestion 384
    • Virus Episode 1
    • Other (feel free to comment below)

2009 has started off quite busy for Doom releases, even excluding PL2, which is still technically a 2008 wad. What do you think is the best (single player) Doom release of this year thus far? I have included some answers I believe will be common in the poll, but feel free to post here if you're favorite is something I haven't mentioned above.

EDIT 2/28/09: It wad decided to include PL2 in the list of '09 wads, for reasons stated later on in this thread.

Yeah, Plutonia 2 was even released in 2009 to people in the Eastern hemisphere (Asia, Australia, &c).

myk said:

Yeah, Plutonia 2 was even released in 2009 to people in the Eastern hemisphere (Asia, Australia, &c).

Yes, I understand that if you live in Asia, Australia, or maybe even Europe or Africa, PL2 was indeed released in 2009. However, I live in the US and it was a 2008 wad for me. Responding to the post above the one I have quoted here, I do fully understand that PL2 is a 2009 wad for cacowards, since it was clearly released after Dec. 10, 2008. But I included PL2 in my list of choices for the best wad of 2008 when I posted that poll back in early January. I don't think it would make any sense to allow that same wad to be the best of both '08 and '09. However, for cacoward contenders, it is definitely on the list, as explained above. There is a thread somewhere (forget where, but I've posted on it) for cacoward contenders this year. Also, remembet that if you really want to insist on PL2 as being a 2009 wad (and it is better in your opinion than any of the true 2009 wads I've listed), you can simply choose Other and explain on the thread if you'd like.

Brandon D. Lade said:
I don't think it would make any sense to allow that same wad to be the best of both '08 and '09.

It should be in the among the '09 WADs, because there was no time to play it all and get a clear opinion of it in the final few hours of '08 (if any).

myk said:

It should be in the among the '09 WADs, because there was no time to play it all and get a clear opinion of it in the final few hours of '08 (if any).

On second hand, I agree. If you feel it's appropriate, as you have clearly signalled, you have my permission to remove "Darkness Falls" (since that wad has poor gameplay) and replace it with "Plutonia 2". Thank you.

EDIT: I see that PL2 has now been put in the list. Whoever did so, thank you. I should have probably considered that it was technically unfair to call PL2 a 2008 wad, especially since it was released in 2009 in some continents, and also because, as you said, no one really had any time to play much of it in '08 and it is certainly an '09 wad for cacowards. Sorry for any inconvenience I caused in not deciding to put that wad there in the first place.

BTW, I find it interesting that with 9 votes so far, no one but me has picked Tribute. That wad has been getting some really good reviews in the /idgames database.

Brandon D. Lade said:

EDIT: I see that PL2 has now been put in the list.

If I voted again, I would vote for Plutonia 2. This wad is the nuclear strike in my head :-P!… but
Virus Episode 1 is the second best wad this year so far I think!

Sadly, you wont find too many quality wad releases here often(with the exception of only a handful of skillful mappers still left TC). I have been Easter egg hunting here for about 3 years now.

Plutonia 2 is certainly the best release so far this year. It will be hard for something else to beat it.

pcorf said:

Plutonia 2 is certainly the best release so far this year. It will be hard for something else to beat it.

And that's coming from someone who is about to release WOS in just a few short months? That's pretty odd.

Brandon D. Lade said:

Yes, I understand that if you live in Asia, Australia, or maybe even Europe or Africa, PL2 was indeed released in 2009. However, I live in the US and it was a 2008 wad for me. Responding to the post above the one I have quoted here, I do fully understand that PL2 is a 2009 wad for cacowards, since it was clearly released after Dec. 10, 2008. But I included PL2 in my list of choices for the best wad of 2008 when I posted that poll back in early January. I don't think it would make any sense to allow that same wad to be the best of both '08 and '09. However, for cacoward contenders, it is definitely on the list, as explained above. There is a thread somewhere (forget where, but I've posted on it) for cacoward contenders this year. Also, remembet that if you really want to insist on PL2 as being a 2009 wad (and it is better in your opinion than any of the true 2009 wads I've listed), you can simply choose Other and explain on the thread if you'd like.

Well I assume that most people on these forums live in the US and A. If its 12 Noon in Australia, its evening the previous day in North and South America. The West Coast is further behind the East Coast and Hawaii is actually 20 hours behind Australia. I also assume most times and deadlines (like 32 in 24 projects) are done to American times.

Brandon D. Lade said:

And that's coming from someone who is about to release WOS in just a few short months? That's pretty odd.

Well I'm not going to comment on my own work. I'll leave it up to you guys when its released.

I'm hoping to get it out in June or July. Hopefully June if it goes to plan. I'm working on another map (25) right now. And have 3 more to do afterwards. Kristian may make 1 more level for the project. WOS also has 100% original midi based music written mostly by me and some by Kristian.

I'm also whipping up a 32 level DM megawad named Paul's Deathmatch which I plan to release alongside WOS. I'm finding DM levels fun to make because all you need is your imagination with layout, and you don't have to worry about gameplay with monsters. Just throw the weapons and ammo in.

Brandon D. Lade said:

Finally, any estimates as to when the updated version of TZ2 will be released?

I'm not sure if its now going to get done.

Sheesh, stop arguing the technicallities of 2008/2009 - i'd love PL2 to be classed as 2008 so that C384 gets more of a spotlight :-) ... but we all know that in doom, er, world, a year runs from Cacoward to Cacoward...