Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
aleksej

Vanilla over internet - looking for opponents. No DOSBox!

Is here any persons who still have old 486/pentiumI/II DOS based PC and use it for playing in vanilla doom among with other DOS games? I know atleast two here, who have that old rigs - myk and leileilol.
I looking for opponents for vanilla doom (heretic, hexen) multiplayer over internet through ancient DOS ifrag/tcpsetup utils.

Well, the thing is finding someone more or less close to where you are. I know Hitherto uses the DOS executables sometimes, although he might be using DOSBox...

myk said:

I know Hitherto uses the DOS executables sometimes, although he might be using DOSBox...

Yeah, i forgot to mentione my dear friend Hitherto because we already discuss with him about that. Always playing together in chocolate multiplayer, now planning to do similar in vanilla. He have PIII machine with Win98/DOS.

How about you, myk?

With a friend we had been attempting an E4 coop movie for COMPET-N, over Kahn, although he currently needs to repair his Windows 98 computer.

myk said:

I know Hitherto uses the DOS executables sometimes, although he might be using DOSBox...

Dosbox? I'm never! :)
Well, except few times when I tried really delicate xt-oldies like digger and popcorn.

aleksej said:

Yeah, i forgot to mentione my dear friend Hitherto because we already discuss with him about that.

At this time I'm probably the most laziest and busiest person in the community. Sad, but I'm looking forward with optimism.

myk said:

With a friend we had been attempting an E4 coop movie for COMPET-N, over Kahn, although he currently needs to repair his Windows 98 computer.

Wow. Is Kahn alive nowadays?

I'm interesting in vanilla coop playing over internet. However I never played vanilla multiplayer except via null modem cable in 2006 and IPX network over ten years ago. So I need a howto tips.

I wonder if MSN zone still exist, we used to use that one when we wanted to play deathmatch with vanilla.

Torn said:

I wonder if MSN zone still exist

nope that was shut down years ago in favor for this Live stuff. It was my only outlet for online Outlaws :(

Hitherto said:
Wow. Is Kahn alive nowadays?

It's pretty much dead as a service, although the application itself can be used for direct connections between computers. Their site is gone so the application isn't easy to get, but I've saved a copy of v1.3 here (or here, if that doesn't work). GIT is another option.

Torn said:

I wonder if MSN zone still exist, we used to use that one when we wanted to play deathmatch with vanilla.

Ah yes. Those were the days. :) Being beaten silly by Oce and Andy. I had this great plan where I'd play them a lot and get a lot better. I don't think it was successful though. :p

I still have my IBM 486, but it needs a new hard drive, and I also need a copy of MS-DOS. It's been forever since I've used it. I'd be interested in playing vanilla over internet. I've never tried it before.

May I ask _why_ the obsolete DOS EXE version? You can use Doom Legacy, ZDoom, ZDaemon or Skulltag instead of the original version.

That question is generally not asked around here because it's been addressed like a thousand times. You've been gone (banned) a while, true, but you could browse a bit and spot why here and there. Anyhow, here's how I see it (at least by and large):

People just like the game "as is" (with its simplicity and minimalism). Being in the DOOM community this shouldn't appear surprising. As, since we can like such an old game, some of the people in the community can surely appreciate it without added features, for one reason or another. If liking a game like DOOM is "retro", you can have additionally "retro" people within the community of that game (assuming the game has been modded). You can also imagine people playing a truly modern game and asking "but _why_ play an obsolete game like DOOM (with ports or otherwise) when you have stuff like Halo and Half-life 2?".

Personally, I do use ports for some things but do most of my playing on the original engines. In fact, only minutes ago I played through "The unnamed base" in Doom2 (specifically, a hacked version that extends visplane limits and such, as in one room those computers on wooden desks cased a VPO in the standard engine) :p

Unlike a few years back (the early part of this decade when Windows 2000 and XP were becoming popular) playing DOOM this way is very possible now. There's Chocolate Doom and DOSBox can do a good job running the DOS executables in up-to-date computers. Aside from guys like us, that like to keep older systems to play directly. This has the advantage of allowing the use of old-school sound cards to play the music, which is a nice touch, and is also the most "native" way to play.

Finally, Hitherto join our tiny "vanilla-over-internet-club". We are now three (yeah, still so few), but only russian-speaking exUSSR residents. Where are you, international english-speaking vanilla players?