Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Brandon D. Lade

ZDoom savegames: One version to another?

I want to install the new v2.3.0 of ZDoom, but I have a savegame from Map08 of Plutonia 2 that I don't want to lose. Is there any way to make it work when I switch versions?

There were too many changes between 2.2.0 and 2.3.0 to keep savegame compatibility. But what's limiting you to only one installed ZDoom version? I currently have 6 installed, ranging from 2.0.63a to the very latest.

Graf... weren't you the one railing about Doom Rampage edition and how it forced you to keep an old version of ZDoom on your Hard Drive?

That was different because it forced you to use a version that was already old at the point of release, just because the author was too incompetent to find the error that prevented his mod from working on newer versions.

I keep old versions mostly to check anomalies in the engine and for that I need such old things (admittedly rarely)

ZDoom 2.3.0 is perfectly compatible with Plutonia 2. Keeping an old version to finish an ongoing game is not the same thing as keeping an old version to start new games...

Yeah that kinda sucks. I keep thinking something along the lines of cheating up to where you last left off, but I can't see that as being a practical idea by a long shot. Especially in heavily scripted maps.

Bugger.

Creaphis said:

?

Well if you're playing something like TeamTNT's Daedalus, you often can't skip or cheat through levels without breaking or compromising scripted puzzle crap.

TheDarkArchon said:

Short answer, no.

Pretty much so, yeah.

Unless you are an ub3r h4x0r and you're willing to either:

1. Rely on the fact that the "state" being save involved will not be that much different between versions, rename just some bits in the file, and hope for the best.
  2. Interpret and parse the innards of savegame files and adapt/convert to the correct version. After all what is actually saved, boils down to monster and player positions, status, etc., so you could even implement cross-port savegame bridging.
But with the work involved...there better be a goddamn good reason for doing so!